Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank Spec, Builds, and Talents — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Vengeance Demon Hunter in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
Best Talent Builds for Vengeance Demon Hunters
Note that these builds are generic recommendations for various content. For more specific recommendations for the Raid and Mythic+, check out the dedicated pages below.
Best Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunter
Heretic: Raid Talent Build for Vengeance Demon Hunter
The Heretic build centers around increasing your Fire damage through talents like Fiery Demise and Down in Flames, it offers great offensive and defensive talents for Single Target encounters, perfect for Raiding
Be sure to make use of the 'Copy Export String' button to import the best build directly into your game!
Sigilweaver: Mythic+ Talent Build for Vengeance Demon Hunter
The Sigilweaver talent build functions around using your Sigil toolkit to boost your AoE Damage, Defensive value, and Utility. Centering heavily around Sigil of Flame and the new Talent Illuminated Sigils to gain large amounts of Parry to supplement your kit.
Be sure to make use of the 'Copy Export String' button to import the best build directly into your game!
Talent Explanations for Vengeance Demon Hunters
Note that we do not explain EVERY Talent in the tree on this page. We only explain Talents that are part of our optimal builds. For full details and explanations of every Talent, please visit our Spells page via the button below.
Talent Rows 1-4
|Fel Devastation||A channeling cooldown that deals heavy fire damage to all enemies in a cone in front of you, healing you a medium amount while channeling. Interacts with Demonic to grant 7 seconds of Metamorphosis when used. It costs 50 fury to use and has a 40-second cooldown. The cooldown can be reduced by the Darkglare Boon talent.|
|Frailty||Causes enemies hit by Sigil of Flame to get a stack of Frailty, causing you to heal for 10% of all damage you deal to them for 6 seconds. It interacts with several talents further down the talent tree, empowering Frailty and making it a core part of the Vengeance identity.|
|Fiery Brand||Brand your target, dealing heavy fire damage to your target, causing They do deal 40% less damage to you for 10 seconds. A strong defensive that interacts with several other strong talents further down the talent tree.|
|Deflecting Spikes||Causes Demon Spikes to also increase your Parry chance by 15% for the full duration. A former core component of Demon Spikes, which increases the defensive potential of the spell significantly. It's worth the point in all content where you take physical damage.|
|Fracture||Replaces Shear, it has two charges on a 4.5-second cooldown and generates 25 Fury and spawns 2 Lesser Soul Fragments when cast. A great ability that enables a large part of your class toolkit. It is highly recommended to path down and get Fracture in all content.|
|Felblade||An active ability with a 15-second cooldown that generates 40 Fury with a low chance to reset its cooldown when you use Fracture. Felblade is on a shorter global cooldown than normal abilities and is a great tool to generate extra fury in a very short time.|
|Talent||When to Consider|
|Consume Magic||Purges the target, removing 1 beneficial magic effect on the target. It has a 30-yard range and a 10-second cooldown. Strong for any content that requires dispelling magic effects on targets.|
This section of the talent trees provides several core passive talents that generally support your base kit.
|Rush of Chaos||Reduces the cooldown of Metamorphosis by 30/60 seconds. A very strong talent that is easily reachable and very strong. It is worth taking in all content.|
|Chaos Nova||A 2-second AOE-stun on a 45-second cooldown. It costs 25 Fury and deals a low amount of chaos damage to every target hit. A great addition to your toolkit in Mythic+ and PvP content.|
|Demonic||Grants you 7 seconds of Metamorphosis when using Fel Devastation. This Talent makes Fel Devastation your strongest defensive outside of Metamorphosis. This Talent is core to the Vengeance Tooltip and something you should try to Talent in all forms of content.|
|Spirit Bomb||A spender that costs 40 Fury and consumes up to 5 available Soul Fragments and deals fire damage is based on the amount consumed by all enemies in range. Applies 1 stack of Frailty to each target hit. Strong in encounters with several enemies. Very strong in Mythic+ since Soul Cleave only deal damage to up to 5 enemies, and you often encounter situations with more than that in any given dungeon.|
|Void Reaver||Targets afflicted by Frailty now deals 4% less damage to you. Causes enemies struck by Soul Cleave to be afflicted by Frailty for 6 seconds. An extremely potent defensive talent when paired with Soulcrush further down in the tree.|
|Fallout||The initial damage of Immolation Aura now has a high chance of spawning a Lesser Soul Fragment for every target hit. Up to a maximum of 5 Lesser Soul Fragments. This Talent scales extremely well, the more enemies you are fighting. It has a lower value in Raid encounters with only 1 target. However, in Mythic+ and Raid encounters with multiple targets, it becomes a very potent talent, especially when paired with Spirit Bomb.|
|Talent||When to Consider|
|Sigil of Chains||Places a Sigil on the ground, and 2 seconds later grips all enemies in the Sigil for 6 seconds, slowing them by 70% for 6 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown. A strong utility cooldown for Mythic+ and certain raid encounters where displacement effects are of great worth, however, it is far out on the side of the tree, and the opportunity cost of reaching it is very high.|
|Fiery Demise||Causes targets afflicted by Fiery Brand to take 40% increased fire damage from you. Great for overall offensive output and leads to strong talents, especially for Raid encounters with fewer enemies. Taking it will incentivize you to use Fiery Brand as an offensive cooldown, despite it being one of your few defensive cooldowns. So only take it when you are aware of the tradeoff and can make use of the damage increase.|
|The Hunt||An ability that will charge an enemy, causing Nature damage, rooting them in place, and dealing additional nature damage over 6 seconds to up to 5 targets in the path of the charge. It will also mark your main target for 30 seconds, healing you for 25% of all damage you deal to them. It is a strong offensive and defensive cooldown and worth talenting in most content.|
|Collective Anguish||Your Fel Devastation summon an allied Havoc Demon Hunter dealing chaos damage to all targets in front of you. A strong talent that increases your AoE damage by a significant amount if you choose to take it.|
|Vulnerability||Increases damage done to targets affected by Frailty by 2% per talent point and a stack of frailty. A strong talent which gains significant value with the Talent following it, Soulcrush. This allows you to use Spirit Bomb and Soul Cleave as a form of offensive cooldown, stacking Frailty for a significant damage increase to large cooldowns. A must-pick in almost all content.|
|Feed the Demon||Reduces the cooldown on Demon Spikes by 0.25 seconds per talent point every time you consume a Soul Fragment. A strong defensive talent. Especially in Mythic+, where you gain more overall value due to Fallout.|
|Soulcrush||Allows Frailty to overlap on targets, stacking all the effects of Frailty. Each stack has an independent duration of 6 seconds. It also causes Soul Cleave to apply a second stack lasting 8 seconds to your primary target. This Talent provides massive value from every single node affecting Frailty. Overall, this is one of the strongest Talent on the Vengeance tree and should be taken in all content if possible.|
|Soul Carver||A 1-minute cooldown that deals a large amount of fire damage and leaves a 3-second damage over time effect dealing additional damage. It spawns 3 Lesser Soul Fragments on initial damage and another Soul Fragment every second for 3 seconds. A strong talent both offensively and defensively, and worth taking if you can spare the talent point.|
|Elysian Decree||You place a sigil dealing massive Arcane damage to all enemies hit after 2 seconds. Dealing damage with Elysian Decree will summon 3 Lesser Soul Fragments. A strong active ability that deal a lot of AoE damage.|
|Darkglare Boon||Reduces cooldown of Fel Devastation after it is cast by 10-20% and refunds 10-20 fury per talent point. A large increase to your overall damage output, especially in combination with talents such as Collective Anguish and Stoke the Flames. In combination with Demonic It also adds significant defensive value. A highly recommended Talent in all content.|
|Illuminated Sigils||Grants a second charge of all of your sigils and gives you 20% increased chance to parry attacks from targets afflicted by your Sigil of Flame. A very potent utility and defensive Talent for Mythic+, and generally worth taking over Down in Flames for dungeon content.|
|Down in Flames||Grants a second charge of Fiery Brand and reduces the cooldown of Fiery Brand by 15 seconds. This lets you use a second charge and lower the cooldown to work around Soul Carver to maintain defensive uptime while also utilizing Fiery Demise for maximizing damage output. You can also use this together with Burning Alive and Darkglare Boon to have a strong Fel Devastation boosted by Fiery Demise on up to 5 targets.|
|Talent||When to Consider|
|Last Resort||A cheat death ability that will heal you if you sustain lethal damage, granting you 15 seconds of Metamorphosis. It has an 8-minute cooldown after saving you. Overall decent in challenging content; the long cooldown means that you can only rely on it to save you once in most Raid encounters and usually only a handful of times over a full Mythic+ dungeon. However if there are some extremely hard parts of a fight Last Resort can be utilized as an additional, strong defensive cooldown.|
|Darkness||A 5-minute defensive cooldown that affects you and all allies inside the effect. It spawns a could of darkness for 8 seconds that causes all damage you or an ally inside the darkness to have a 20% chance to be negated. It works best against frequent and periodic hits since it is random if the damage will be negated or not.|
|Pitch Black||Reduces the cooldown of Darkness by 120 seconds. This Talent gains value in raid situations where it lets you use Darkness on at least one more dangerous mechanic. It is generally more useful than Long Night, however hard to motivate spending points on it unless it adds Darkness casts to vital parts of the specific encounter.|
Differences in Rotation
Considering the varied Talent builds recommended for different types of content, there is also going to be some variation in your rotation. Visit the rotation page linked below to figure out more about how your rotation works.
PvP Talents (War Mode)
You have the option to enter into "War Mode" in your Factions Capital city. Enabling War Mode provides the following benefits:
- Grants access to PvP talents in the open-world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at max level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points, which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for leveling and PvE content, it is recommended to enable the feature to maximize your leveling and rewards at maximum level. However, you will enable yourself for open-world PvP and the possibility, so be aware of hostile enemy players who could interfere with you, and this is a risk you will have to take.
Vengeance Demon Hunter PvP Talents
Generally, the selections are made to optimize your ability to kill enemies faster, increasing your pace when moving through content.
- Everlasting Hunt is a passive ability that increases your movement speed by 15% for 3 seconds when dealing damage. This ability is designed to move from pack to pack quickly and more efficiently.
- Jagged Spikes reflects damage back to the attacker for 30% of the damage received when Demon Spikes is active.
- Illidan's Grasp crowd controls 1 target for 6 seconds. If the ability is activated again, throw the target at a location within 40 yards and stun everything in the target area for 3 seconds. This ability provides additional crowd control and is fun to use.
- Tormentor debuffs the target when taunted, applying the Focused Assault debuff, which increases the damage received by 3%. Your melee attacks refresh the duration of Focused Assault. Each unique target up to 5 that hits the target will stack Focused Assault by an additional 3%. This ability will provide a decent single-target damage buff in a party.
- Detainment increases the duration of Imprison by 1 second and makes the imprisoned target immune to damage and healing. This Talent is amazing for arenas and battlegrounds, but it should not be picked for leveling. Imprisoning a target while using this Talent will put you into combat and prevent monster skipping in PvE content.
- Unending Hatred increases Fury generation based on magic damage received. Larger attacks will increase the Fury generation. This Talent is quite situational and should not be used in normal content.
- Cleansed by Flame removes all magical effects when you cast Immolation Aura. This Talent is situational, but it can be very strong depending on the situation.
- Demonic Trample transforms you into a demon and increases your movement speed by 175%. Any enemy hit with the trample will be knocked and receive physical damage. You are immune to snares while trampling. Demonic Trample shares cooldown with Infernal Strike. This ability is very strong in battlegrounds to remove snares and for pseudo-crowd control with the knockdown.
- Sigil Mastery reduces the cooldown of sigils by 25%. This Talent should not be used.
- Reverse Magic removes all harmful magic effects on you and all allies within 10 yards and, if possible, returns them to their caster. It has a 1-minute cooldown.
- Blood Moon empowers your Consume Magic to now affect all enemies within 8 yards of the target and grants 5% leech for 5 seconds after using it.
- Chaotic Imprint makes your Throw Glaive deal damage from a random school of magic, leaving a mark increasing their damage taken from that school by 10% for 20 seconds.
- Cover of Darkness increases the radius of Darkness by 4 yards and increases its duration by 2 seconds.
- Rain from Above launches you up in the air and grants access to Fel Lance allowing you to deal damage to enemies on the ground.
- Glimpse grants you immunity to loss of control effects while under the effect of Vengeful Retreat and reduces damage taken by 35% until you land.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Restructured the page.
- 09 Aug. 2023: Updated talents for multiple targets.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.5.
- 10 Jun. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Updated with new talent recommendations and talent description for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated Soulcrush description and added Elysian Decree to noteworthy talents.
- 30 Nov. 2022: Updated Down in Flames description and advice.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Pre-Patch.
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2
- Full Trading Post Rotation for December 2023
- New Returning Items Tab for Trading Post Items in Patch 10.2.5
- Will Sylvanas Return in Patch 10.2.5?
- Night Elf Paladin NPC Spotted in Patch 10.2.5
- New Trading Post Mount in Patch 10.2.5 - Savage Blue Battle Turtle