Vengeance Demon Hunter Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Vengeance Demon Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. Should I Play Defensively or Offensively?
This is the main question most people will ask with tanking. The basic answer is that if you are doing progression or are on a character you do not feel comfortable playing offensively with, you should play defensively. As you start to get comfortable, you should start looking at DPS a bit more and play a more mixed style, where you start pushing DPS while slowly giving up survivability. Once you feel completely comfortable with the encounter and you will not hold your raid back, you can then go for DPS. This point is different for every person, as it depends on your group, your character, your gear, and your skill level.
2. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
Generally speaking, if the item level difference between the new item and the old item is 5 item levels or less, you should use the stat priority to decide which piece to use. If the item level difference is 15 item levels or more, the new piece is practically always better.
Between these two thresholds, you will have to evaluate what stats you are giving up by replacing the old item. If the old item is very poorly itemized, and the new item very well itemized, you can replace them, but otherwise it is generally still not worth replacing.
Note that none of this applies to Azerite gear, trinkets, or rings, for which you will compare the effects (or the stat priority for rings).
It is difficult to give an answer, because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, set bonuses, trinkets, legendaries, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, WarcraftLogs.com's rankings and statistics are a good place to see what others are doing.
3. How Much of X Stat Should I Have?
For the most part, there is no set "amount" of any stat that you should have. Nor are there stat goals or a particular distribution of stats that you want to go for. It is very common for people to overestimate the importance of having the "right" secondaries, when in reality, having a higher quantity of stats will almost always beat having "better" stats. Having 120 of your worst stat is often better than having 100 of your best stat, since the differences are not as big as many people think.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 22 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for season 2 and Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for patch 8.1.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Page created.
- Upcoming Item Level Increase for World Quest Rewards
- WoW Classic Internal Alpha Has Begun
- Bee Mounts Finally Coming in Patch 8.2?
- Patch 8.2: Zandalari Moonkin & Raptor Dance Animations
- Patch 8.2: Vision of Perfection Essence Explained
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: April 18th
- Vision of Perfection (the 8.2 Cooldown Essence) Changes Coming
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #40
- Gold Making Q & A Streams
- Gold making: Beginner professions
- Picking a profession in BfA
- BFA Weakauras -- WIP
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Question about WoW hardware requirements
- Elemental Shaman 8.1
- Stat caps?