Assassination Rogue DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Assassination Rogue in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Assassination Rogue in Mythic+
The playstyle of Assassination in Mythic+ stays almost the same in Battle for Azeroth. It revolves around setting up your bleeds on multiple targets, ramping up your Energy regeneration until you become global cooldown locked, and then continuing to cycle bleeds between targets. A key feature of Assassination AoE is that while it is most optimal in evenly multi-dotting across a number of targets, you can still channel it more into single target damage, at the cost of overall damage.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Rogue Shroud Skips
While at this stage many groups do different pulls, due to different composition or preferences, some of the shroud skips in dungeons are still more common than others. As such, the most popular skips have been compiled in a Shroud of Concealment Mythic+ guide for Rogues with diagrams showing each of the skips.
Assassination Rogue Mythic+ Rotation
For the most part, Assassination Rogue's rotation is the same as referred in the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
Assassination Rogue Utility
- Pick Lock allows you to skip a few pulls in Tol Dagor, and unlock cells granting damage and survival boost.
- Sap and Blind can be great for crowd controlling two targets during one pull.
- Kidney Shot and Blind can be used to disrupt enemies that cannot be interrupted with Kick.
- Shroud of Concealment projects AoE Stealth around you. It is important to note, however, that in the current expansion there is a much greater number of enemies who can detect through Stealth or Invisibility, whom you will need to be on the lookout for.
- Distract helps setting up Shroud-skips and keeps patrolling trash packs in place for 10 seconds.
- Feint, Cloak of Shadows, Evasion, Crimson Vial and Cheat Death form a very powerful set of defensive cooldowns, and are one of the biggest reasons for Rogue's strength in Mythic+.
- Tricks of the Trade is not exceptionally great normally, however it is extremely useful during Skittish weeks, helping the tank maintain threat.
Mythic+ Talents for Assassination Rogue
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+. These talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
|15||✗ Master Poisoner||✓ Elaborate Planning||✗ Blindside|
|30||✗ Nightstalker||✓ Subterfuge||✗ Master Assassin|
|45||✓ Vigor||✗ Deeper Stratagem||✗ Marked for Death|
|60||✗ Leeching Poison||✓ Cheat Death||✗ Elusiveness|
|75||✗ Internal Bleeding||✓ Iron Wire||✗ Prey on the Weak|
|90||✗ Venom Rush||✓ Toxic Blade||✗ Exsanguinate|
|100||✓ Poison Bomb||✗ Hidden Blades||✗ Crimson Tempest|
Mythic+ Stat Choice for Assassination Rogue
Currently, you will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Critical Strike up to around 35-40%;
Essence Choices for Assassination Rogue
As your Major Essence, you will want to play Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) as it works very well for both AoE and single-target fights. Condensed Life-Force ( Guardian of Azeroth) or Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Memory of Lucid Dreams) do well on single-target fights but are not as useful on AoE, whereas Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam) is very strong on AoE but weak on single-target. Blood of the Enemy provides the best of two worlds. If you do not have it at Rank 3 yet, Focusing Iris is going to be your best bet for overall performance, due to its usefulness on AoE.
For the Minor Essence Slots, there is not a whole lot of options. Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams) is mandatory for the Versatility on AoE and the Energy refunds for bossfights. Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes) provides a big damage boost on both AoE and single-target fights. Once you unlock your third Minor Essence slot, you will want to use either Conflict and Strife ( Strife) to further improve your AoE damage, or Vision of Perfection ( Strive for Perfection) to allow for more uses of Vendetta together with Blood of the Enemy, which will result in higher single-target and priority damage.
The way Mythic+ affixes are tiered in Battle for Azeroth has changed quite a bit since their launch in Legion.
There are now three weekly affixes and one seasonal affix. The first affix is available instantly at level two and three, the second affix starts at level four, the third affix is enabled at level seven, and finally the seasonal affix is at level ten.
Tier One Affixes
For those players who do not have Blood of the Enemy, you might want to swap between Essence of the Focusing Iris and Condensed Life-Force for Fortified and Tyrannical weeks respectively; however, it will still depend on your group composition and your expected pulls.
Tier Two Affixes
- Bolstering is a good affix for Assassination, since you do not have AoE burst and you are able to meticulously DoT them up, and dump excess Combo Points into high health targets.
- Sanguine can cause a lot of movement from the group, and might make your Poison Bomb miss some of the ticks.
- Bursting debuff can be removed with Cloak of Shadows which also negates new applications until it expires. This means that you generally want to delay Cloak of Shadows until the first few debuffs go out. Remember to not use Shroud of Concealment until Bursting has expired on your group.
Tier Three Affixes
- Quaking damage can be decreased by Feint, helping the healer. Quaking during Shroud of Concealment can break the Shroud if people overlap their Quaking. You can wait until Quaking occurs, then shroud safely after it happened.
- Fan of Knives does not hit the Explosive Orbs from Explosive, requiring them to be targeted directly.
- During Skittish weeks your Tricks of the Trade is extremely helpful in helping tanks manage aggro in AoE situations. Due to Assassination damage patterns, you will want to wait a few seconds into every pull before you use it, once you have ramped up your DoTs.
Season 4 Affix: Awakened
For general information about Awakened, see our general Mythic+ guide.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Page updated for Patch 8.3.
- 14 Nov. 2019: Updated talent suggestions; added Stat and Essence section; added Distract, Kidneyshot and Shroud of Concealment notes; updated affix notes
- 17 Sep. 2019: Updated talent suggestions.
- 15 Jul. 2019: Updated Void-Toucher Emissary description.
- 12 Jul. 2019: Updated for the release of Eternal Palace.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Added affixes and utility descriptions.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Page added (placeholder for now).
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd