How To Improve As Assassination Rogue — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, you will find out how you can improve at playing Assassination Rogue in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5. We list the common mistakes that you should try to avoid and the small details that can greatly improve your performance.
Not Overcapping Resources
Since all of Assassination's damage is tied to resources, it is important to waste as little of them as possible. You should make sure you do not find yourself being Energy capped or casting Combo Point generating abilities when at maximum Combo Points.
There is one exception to this rule, which is tied to using multiple Echoing Blades traits. When using 2 or more of this trait, you will want to keep using Fan of Knives and overcap Combo Points, only using the CP to refresh bleeds whenever necessary or using them on envenom for priority target damage.
Pooling Energy has been a vital part of optimal Assassination gameplay for a long time now. Often players tend to spam builders / finishers without paying attention to the Energy, thus preventing them from maximizing Envenom windows. This is particularly important right before using Toxic Blade, as you will want to start each Toxic Blade with as much energy as possible.
Not Holding Cooldowns For Too Long
The only requirement for using Vendetta is that your target has Rupture and Garrote up and that ideally it will not die before it expires. However, there are no other requirements, so often enough people hold on to Vendetta for too long, and lose damage as a result of it.
Correctly Managing Bleeds
Aim to have 100% uptime on Garrote and Rupture. In some fight situations it might lead to refreshing those abilities before you would normally need to, if you know that you are going to lose uptime on the boss to hit a different target and might not be able to refresh it at the optimal time. An extension of that, is to also manage Deadly Poison in multi-target situations. If you are not using Fan of Knives you might need to pay extra attention to it, and make sure it stays on all targets, so you do not lose out on extra Energy regeneration. In case you have your bleeds applied to a target, but it is about to lose the poison debuff, it might be worth to use Poisoned Knife or Fan of Knives if the target is outside of melee range, to not lose any uptime.
Using Azshara's Font of Power and Ashvane's Razor Coral
When using both Azshara's Font of Power and Ashvane's Razor Coral your regular gameplay and how you normally utilize on-use trinkets changes, due to both trinkets incurring a 20-second cooldown on each other.
In order to get the maximum value out of both these trinkets, your gameplay has to adjust a bit:
- you start by using Azshara's Font of Power 5 seconds before the pull;
- you use Ashvane's Razor Coral as soon as it can be used, roughly 15 seconds after the boss has been engaged;
- you use Azshara's Font of Power again, on cooldown, during the fight, incurring a 20-second cooldown on your Coral;
- using Vendetta is then delayed until your Coral cooldown is down to 10 seconds;
- a few seconds before your coral is ready to be used, you set up your burst window by using Toxic Blade → Ashvane's Razor Coral → Vanish → Envenom and then continue with your regular rotation.
By using your trinkets and cooldowns in this fashion, you will have a 10-second burst window where both trinkets affect you while all your cooldowns are running.
Knowing How To Sim Yourself
It is impossible to correctly play and optimize a Assassination Rogue without using Raidbots to sim your own character, there are simply too many variables involved to intuitively figure out what gear to wear and so on without simming it first. Generally speaking, a simulation should be the first and final say in the gear you end up wearing for any given situation.
On top of this, simming is now very easy with no need to understand SimulationCraft APLs or installation yourself. All you will need is the in-game SimulationCraft AddOn, and the Raidbots website. Below you can find a video on how to sim your own character using the website.
Analyzing Your Mistakes as a Assassination Rogue
When it comes to identifying and improving your mistakes, we strongly recommend the website WoWAnalyzer — it will analyze your logs and give you a report detailing how you did on the problems above and more.
- 14 Nov. 2019: Updated Overcapping exception; added Font+Coral section.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Display Bug Showing Last Week's Honor
- Infinite HoA Trait Removed from 8.3, New Legendary Cloak Addition
- 8.3 Class Changes Update: Mistweaver, Holy Pala, Disc Priest
- Mythic+ Season 4 Item Level Changes (Official)
- 8.3 Pet Battle Changes Update
- Diablo 2 Remaster Unlikely - Code and Assets Were Lost According to Creators
- New Retail WoW Box for Starting Players
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- What’s the better PC?
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk