Enhancement Shaman Frequently Asked Questions — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Enhancement Shaman in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
- 1. Should I Worry About Maelstrom Weapon Waste?
- 2. Should I Put My Highest Item Level Weapon in the Off-Hand?
- 3. Should I Be Using Earth Elemental as a DPS Cooldown?
- 4. Should I "Hard Cast" Lightning Bolt / Elemental Blast?
- 5. Should I Play Around Elemental Spirits?
- 6. Should I Use Crash Lightning in Single Target?
- 7. What Target Count do I Switch to Chain Lightning?
- 8. Do I Press Lava Burst?
- 9. Do I Lose the Cooldown Reduction from Witch Doctor's Ancestry if I am Maelstrom Capped?
- 10. Does Enhancement Benefit From its Own Windfury Totem?
- 11. How Good is Windfury Totem?
- 12. What Piece of Gear is Better?
- 13. How much Haste, Mastery, or other secondary stats should I have?
- 14. Which Race is best for Enhancement Shaman?
Should I Worry About Maelstrom Weapon Waste?
Yes. You should be making sure that you do not overcap the Maelstrom Weapon effect by going above 10 stacks. You should aim to consume it at around 8 stacks, allowing room for procs to happen and pool slightly without hitting the upper limit. Do not rush to cast it as soon as you hit 5 stacks, however, as that will often interfere with other ability cooldowns.
There are two things that change this however: Storm builds and the Static Accumulation talent. The former does not care about waste at all, so long as it is in service of casting more Stormstrikes. The latter means that spending as soon as possible at 5+ becomes much more desirable, so long as other higher priority abilities are not available.
Should I Put My Highest Item Level Weapon in the Off-Hand?
This remains a firm no. Too much of our damage is still sourced from our Main Hand, and Lava Lash does not do enough, even with supporting talents, to make this a good choice.
Should I Be Using Earth Elemental as a DPS Cooldown?
Generally speaking, this is a no. Assuming it has full uptime on a target and can live the entire duration, the amount of damage will be a marginal increase over an alternative cooldown. However, it is also prone to dying, poor AI, or disrupting a group with its taunt. It is much more beneficial to save it as a survival tool thanks to much additional health.
Should I "Hard Cast" Lightning Bolt / Elemental Blast?
Never. "Hard casting" is the practice of casting below 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon (and thus incurring a cast time). Whenever you do this, it resets the swing timer if used without at least 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon, so it should never be done due to the resource loss being greater than the damage benefit.
Should I Play Around Elemental Spirits?
Depending on your build, yes. Most of this will involve pooling Elemental Blast charges to deal significant damage during your Elemental Spirits windows, as Elemental Blast benefits from every type of elemental spirit. There are also some minor considerations , such as burning off effects like Hailstorm or abilities like Sundering with the appropriate wolf if it is about to expire, but otherwise, do not overthink it.
Should I Use Crash Lightning in Single Target?
If it is included in your talent build, yes. It should be used as a low-priority filler that slots in whenever nothing else is available.
What Target Count do I Switch to Chain Lightning?
If taking Elemental Blast, 3 or more, otherwise whenever a second target is present.
Do I Press Lava Burst?
When playing Storm builds, never. If playing Elementalist however, in any situation where you do not have Elemental Blast talented but are against a single-target, this is used as an on-cooldown high-priority spender.
Do I Lose the Cooldown Reduction from Witch Doctor's Ancestry if I am Maelstrom Capped?
No. The generation is always given regardless of how much is wasted due to overcapping. However, you should still try to avoid wasting any whenever possible.
Does Enhancement Benefit From its Own Windfury Totem?
Yes. The effect is unique from our Windfury Weapon imbue, and the extra auto-attacks generated can trigger a number of our on-hit proc effects.
How Good is Windfury Totem?
In any situation where there are other melee that scale well with bonus auto-attacks, this is worth taking. A general rule of thumb is if more than one Warrior or Rogue is present in any group, this is a locked-in choice, but you can check how powerful it is for all specs here:
What Piece of Gear is Better?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear affects everything else.
This applies to gear, set bonuses, trinkets, and, in certain circumstances, talents.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents and gear pieces that enhance their strength. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, WarcraftLogs.com's rankings and statistics are a good place to see what others are doing.
We have a guide on how to sim yourself here:
How much Haste, Mastery, or other secondary stats should I have?
For Enhancement, there is no strict "amount" or breakpoint of any stat you are required to reach, nor are there any points at which a stat stops being desirable. In most cases, your specific secondary is less important than the volume. This is, however, another situation in which a simulation done to check your ideal gear pieces and stat values will provide you invaluable information.
Which Race is best for Enhancement Shaman?
Currently, races are fairly even from top to bottom, and the the choice you make will likely result in a minimal difference. Current simulations to demonstrate how low the impact is are as follows:
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7, no changes necessary.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5, small changes surrounding Storm Maelstrom management.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1, no changes necessary.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7 with link to Windfury Values.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2