Mistweaver Monk Healing Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, we explain how to easily play Mistweaver Monk in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.2, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This page is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialisation without being overwhelmed by the numerous subtleties and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of Mistweaver Monks
Mistweaver Monks are versatile healers that can cover both the single target and AoE healing roles. Mistweavers are peculiar in that they can also heal by dealing damage (fistweaving). This page only focuses on the traditional healing style, as fistweaving is more advanced (and we do not feel that the added complexity warrants the effort for new players).
If you are totally new to Mistweaver then we strongly recommend taking a look at our spell summaries to get an understanding of how your spells interact.
Talent Choice for Mistweaver Monks
These talents listed are selected due to ease of use, and are not necessarily the "correct" choice for optimal play. The reason for this is that even though they might not produce the highest throughput as opposed to other talents, if you select the more optimal talents, then use them incorrectly, then your throughput will be lower comparatively.
- Level 15: Mist Wrap
- Level 25: Chi Torpedo
- Level 30: Lifecycles
- Level 35: Ring of Peace
- Level 40: Dampen Harm
- Level 45: Summon Jade Serpent Statue
- Level 50: Upwelling / Focused Thunder (Mythic+)
If you are looking for the optimal talent builds then you can find a more in-depth examination of the available talents in the link below.
Stat Choice for Mistweaver Monks
Currently, you will want to prioritise stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
- Crit = Haste >= Mastery = Vers.
While these priority lists are a good rule of thumb, you should not be valuing them over item level. Generally, any piece that is 10-15 item level above another will be an upgrade, regardless if it does not have optimal stats. The exception here is in the case of rings and items with tertiary stats like leech. For a more detailed explanation, check out our stats page.
Basic Playstyle for Mistweaver Monks
Single Target Healing
The list below goes over the tasks you should perform when healing a single target (such as a tank). This is not a priority list, and you will have to adapt your spell usage to the situation.
- Keep Renewing Mist on cooldown as much as possible while in combat.
- Use Soothing Mist on targets that will take constant damage.
- Use Vivify on targets who need healing.
- Use Enveloping Mist if your target is going to take heavy damage over 6 or 7 seconds.
If you are healing raid damage, you will tailor your use of spells to how many targets are taking damage (and not to how much damage there is).
To begin with, you should use Renewing Mist on cooldown.
If there are 3-4+ raid members taking damage, you should use Vivify to top them off; however, only do so if they're in danger of dying, as Vivify isn't the most efficient spell in our toolkit.
When 6+ raid members are taking damage, you should use Essence Font (as often as the amount of damage requires). The minimum number of targets for Essence Font to be efficient is 6, however, you should aim for closer to a minimum of 10.
For a more in-depth look at our rotation, check out our Rotation Guide.
Mistweaver Monk Cooldown Usage
As a Mistweaver Monk, you have a number of cooldowns in your arsenal, which you must use in tandem with your regular rotation.
- Thunder Focus Tea should be used as many times as possible during the encounter. You should normally use this spell either with Vivify to save Mana or with Renewing Mist for higher average Vivify targets.
- Life Cocoon should be used on the tank or another target who is about to sustain a large amount of damage. You should time this in such a way that its effect coincides with dangerous encounter abilities.
- Revival is a raid-wide heal, and it could be considered a raid cooldown, in which case your raid leader may ask you to use it at a specific time. Otherwise, just use it when the raid is dangerously low, or when you want to dispel the entire raid.
- Invoke Chi-Ji, the Red Crane should be used as often as you can, as it is one of our stronger cooldowns, as well as giving you a 25-second window in which you are spending no Mana, and instead just regening. Aim to DPS and get your Crane stacks to 3, before casting your instant Enveloping Mist.
- Invoke Yu'lon, the Jade Serpent if not talented into Chi-Ji, then Yu'lon should be used in all the places where you would have used Chi-Ji. During Yu'lon you will need to weave in casts of Enveloping Mist in order to trigger your Enveloping Breath passive.
Covenant Choice for Mistweaver Monks
The Covenant choice is much more permanent when compared to the other choices in this guide. While you can change your choice, it is a bit of an annoying process. Because of this, you should pick the covenant that you enjoy the most, as they are all relatively balanced. For new players Kyrian is the easiest to use, as well as one of the stronger choices. We recommend you check out our Covenant Page for a more in-depth look at this system.
Legendary Choice for Mistweaver Monks
In Shadowlands you are able to craft Legendary items that augment certain abilities to make them much more powerful. We recommend selecting Tear of Morning as your Legendary due to not only its power, but ease of use. For more insight into Mistweaver Legendaries, check out our guide linked below.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Page Updated for Shadowlands Release: removed Azerite and Essences, added a link to Covenants and Legendaries.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Cool Way to Enter the Venthyr Covenant Sanctum in Sinfall
- Want to Know How Many Times You've Tried to Mount in the Maw but Couldn't?
- Torghast Boss One-shots, Cheesing, Crazy DPS and More
- Fast Plaguefall Hunter Legendary Farm Method
- Most Popular Classes and Specializations in Shadowlands on Icy Veins
- New In-Game Player Memorials in Silvermoon City?
- Sinrunner Blanchy's Alive Form Discovered
- Varok Saurfang's Mak'gora Cinematic Upscaled to 4K