Protection Paladin Best Corruptions and Corrupted Items — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will learn what the best corruptions and the best corrupted items are for a Protection Paladin in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also tell you how to handle corruption effects.
What Corruption Powers to Buy For Protection Paladins
All items available from Patch 8.3 relevant content will have a chance to become Corrupted, which empowers the item with one of many effects. Echoes of Ny'alotha can now be used to buy specific corruption powers from MOTHER, in the Chamber of the Heart in Silithus.
This allows you to optimize the Corruptions on your gear without any RNG involved, as long as you have enough Echoes to buy the corruptions you need.
You can learn all about this new system in our specialized guide for Echoes of Ny'alotha below.
For Protection Paladins we recommend you stack Twilight Devastation traits on as many pieces as possible. There is rarely very little reason to go after any other corruption effects, however should damage output be of zero concern for you, stacking Expedient, or in some cases Versatile, can be the go-to option for more defensive builds.
We recommend to generally not be raiding with much corruption above 40 to avoid Grand Delusions spawning a Thing From Beyond. This effect can force you to take huge spiky damage if you are not able run away or crowd control the Thing From Beyond, thus this is generally too dangerous to play around with. Even below 20 Corruption, you are subject to a random magic slow effect, so you will always have to deal with the possibility of getting slowed, the more Corruption you are running with, the bigger the slow is. Between 20 and 40 Corruption, you will periodically spawn the Eye of Corruption, which deals increasing damage to you for a few seconds. The damage from this is generally very small and, while you can usually just take the damage, you should move out of it whenever possible. Note that the Azerite trait Heart of Darkness activates once you are above 25 Total Corruption, which means after taking Corruption Resistance into account.
Corrupted Gear for Protection Paladins
For Protection Paladins, the only item you can get with guaranteed Corruption is the Faralos, Empire's Dream and, while the stats on it are great, the Corruption effect performs really poorly compared to most other Corruption effects. This means that should you obtain it, you should cleanse it as soon as you got other Corruptions that have more impact.
- Twilight Devastation is almost always the best Corruption. This is very strong in both AoE, as well as single-target. Its procs may be random, but it is still frequent enough to be the best Corruption available.
- Gushing Wound provides a fairly decent amount of damage without giving you a ton of Corruption. It is useful should all other options push you above 40 Corruption.
- Expedient a defensive option that increases Haste.
- Versatile a defensive option that increases Versatility.
In almost every single situation, simply just going for as much Twilight Devastation is going to be the correct play, especially in any situation that involces multiple targets.
Dealing with Negative Corruption Effects
- Grasping Tendrils — The slow in general is not a big deal, but if you need to break it, use Blessing of Freedom to remove the slow once every 25 seconds.
- Eye of Corruption — This will leave a circle on the ground that you can easily move out of. Its damage starts low, but ramps up. As a tank, we can generally take the damage just fine, but be careful during parts where you are already taking high damage, or should a second Eye spawn right after the first one.
- Grand Delusions — This is the most dangerous effect in most situations. We recommend using the Fist of Justice talent for frequent Hammer of Justice's if you are running above 40 Corruption, as it allows you to stun an add fairly frequently. A stunned add will not re-engage on you, so it will effectively be taken care of. You can get multiple spawns shortly after each other, so it may be possible to not deal with all of them.
Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve is very useful against Corruption effects, as this has a on-use effect which will remove all negative Corruption effects currently affecting you and will make you immune to them for 6 seconds. In general, you want to use this against Grand Delusions or multiple spawns of Eye of Corruption.
- 25 May 2020: Updated page to reflect MOTHER selling corruptions.
- 23 Apr. 2020: Page created.
- Gushing Wound Corruption Nerf Delayed
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through May 29th
- Allied Races Customization Options Concept by Silverleaf2520
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde