Holy Paladin Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Holy Paladin, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendaries have returned in Shadowlands in the form of craftable items through the Runecarving system. You will have powers that are spec-specific, as well as powers that are generic to your class. In this page we will break down the best Legendaries for whatever form of content you are interested in, whether that be raiding or Mythic+. If you would like a list of all the Legendaries available to Paladin, you can visit our page for it below. If you are looking for information about Runecarving and how these powers work, you can visit that page, also linked below.
Best Overall Legendary for Holy Paladin
Regardless of Covenant choice, Shock Barrier will perform well in every form of content and is generally going to be the Legendary you will want to craft first.
The best stats for your Legendary will be Haste and Versatility as they provide you with a well rounded setup that can excel in every form of content the game has to offer. Mastery is a viable choice instead of Versatility, but it unfortunately provides 0 increase to our DPS making it less preferable.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Holy Paladin
- Shock Barrier will be your go-to Legendary for Raiding. It is by far our highest HPS Legendary and has amazing synergy with our Kyrian ability Divine Toll, as well our Glimmer of Light talent. For Kyrian players, this Legendary will almost never change. It is your staple Legendary that will allow you to excel in every form of content. Even as Venthyr this Legendary is still extremely strong on nearly every encounter and will only ever be swapped off in niche situations.
- Maraad's Dying Breath is a Legendary that is fairly strong for Venthyr Paladins only. While it does put you in more danger, your Light of the Martyr casts become too strong to pass up whenever fights require single-target healing or increased tank healing. If you were to use this Legendary, you could also consider running the Beacon of Faith talent. Given the Legendary causes your Light of the Martyr to transfer healing to your Beacon of Light target, running Faith will give you two targets to heal instead. The Legendary will also cause a minor shift in playstyle where you will no longer want to cast Word of Glory and instead want to only use Light of Dawn with your Holy Power. The buffed Light of the Martyr casts will now serve as your Word of Glory, meaning it is your new extremely-strong single-target heal. Any time you have two Holy Paladins in the raid, this Legendary will lose value as you cannot use Beacon of Faith and get the most out of it like you could with one Holy Paladin. Word of Glory should only be used if one of your group members will die before you have the time to cast Light of Dawn and then Light of the Martyr. In most cases, your decision to use this Legendary will come down to what type of healing your raid needs. When tanks are taking a lot of damage, there is a high need for spot healing, or you are underhealing fights, this Legendary will be extremely strong. In cases where you are unable to make use of the very strong spot heal or your tanks are not taking enough damage, the Legendary will lose value.
- Radiant Embers is the new Venthyr-specific Legendary. This causes your Ashen Hallow to change quite a bit. When wearing this Legendary, Ashen Hallow gets removed from the ground anytime you leave its radius. However, if removed in this way before the duration of Ashen Hallow finishes, the cooldown of your Ashen Hallow will be reduced. If you do not leave it early, it can stay on the ground for a maximum of 45 seconds instead of the normal 30-second duration. The best way to use this Legendary will depend on the fight and what is happening, but in most cases you will want to stay in it for either the entire duration (45 seconds), or leave it after 20 seconds. By leaving after 20 seconds, the cooldown of Ashen Hallow will go from 4 minutes to roughly 2 minutes and 40 seconds. By reducing the cooldown, you gain more access to the ability and can cover a wider array of damage patterns. In most cases if you choose to leave after 20 seconds, you will want to also line up your Avenging Wrath with it meaning that you will hold your Avenging Wrath until Ashen Hallow comes off cooldown and then use them together.
- Duty-Bound Gavel is the Necrolord-specific Legendary. This gives you an extra charge of Vanquisher's Hammer. In most cases, this Legendary is extremely competitive with the best options Holy Paladin has to offer and you will want to craft it as one of your first.
- The Mad Paragon increases your damage done by Hammer of Wrath which makes this Legendary fairly strong any time you do not need any healing. In raiding you will almost never want to use this when progressing on fights. In Mythic+ it becomes significantly more viable as the need for maximizing your healing output is lessened.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Holy Paladin
Holy Paladin lacks many interesting choices when it comes to selecting our best Mythic+ Legendary. Most of the Holy-specific Legendaries perform very poorly in Mythic+ and will not have much use.
- Shock Barrier is a strong Legendary in Mythic+, as it will provide you with constant shields on your party members, as you should be able to maintain the buff on all of them.
- The Mad Paragon is one of the Paladin generic Legendaries that will increase the damage of Hammer of Wrath as well as causing it to increase the duration of Avenging Wrath by 1 second.
- Vanguard's Momentum is another strong legendary choice of you are looking to increase your total damage output while sacrificing some healing power.
Ultimately, there are not many Legendaries that excel in Mythic+. Given that Shock Barrier is also our best Legendary for raiding, it is what you will want to craft first. Once you have crafted and upgraded that, you can start working on other Legendaries. The Mad Paragon would be the next best Legendary to craft if your focus was in Mythic+. If you were focused on raiding and are Venthyr, you will want to craft Maraad's Dying Breath next.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Holy Paladin
If you plan on running Torghast with a group of people, consider referring to the Mythic+ recommendations if your group is large enough that you have to heal for most of the time. Otherwise you can swap to a more damage focus Legendary as you will not need to be healing your party members as often.
- Stable Phantasma Lure will improve the amount of Torghast specific currency you get per run, allowing you to potentially purchase more powers than normal. Given the strength of powers in Torghast, having access to more of them will provide a large boost to your overall character strength.
- The Mad Paragon will increase your Hammer of Wrath damage and allow for increased uptime on your Avenging Wrath.
- Vanguard's Momentum similarly to Mad Paragon, this Legendary will work to increase our overall damage by giving us more access to Hammer of Wrath through the extra charge. Vanguards also increases the Holy damage you deal when you use Hammer of Wrath. On bosses and elite enemies, you should be able to safely maintain 100% uptime on this buff, giving you a strong damage boost.
Legendary Crafting Guide
With the introduction of Domination Sockets in Patch 9.1, you will want to avoid crafting Legendaries in any gear slot that overlaps with a Domination Socket. The slots that have Domination Sockets for Plate wearers are: Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Bracers, and Gloves. Below we will list which slot you should craft some of the relevant Legendaries on.
- Shock Barrier — Legs
- Radiant Embers — Back
- Maraad's Dying Breath — Ring
- The Mad Paragon — Waist/Feet
- Divine Resonance — Waist
- Duty-Bound Gavel — Ring
As always, you will want to craft your Legendaries with Haste and then choose between Versatility or Mastery for your second stat. Versatility is the most commonly picked second stat is as it performs well in every form of content, but Mastery will the best second stat for pure healing.
New Legendaries in 9.1
In Patch 9.1, Paladin has four new Legendaries available to craft and use. These Legendaries are Covenant-themed and each one of them amplify the abilities of the Covenant ability to make them stronger.
- Divine Resonance is the Kyrian-specific Legendary. This Legendary is very bugged at the moment but it has potential to be strong once it gets fixed.
- Seasons of Plenty is the Night Fae-specific Legendary. By itself, this Legendary is decent but it does not add enough to Night Fae to make it a competitive Covenant choice. It will not be as strong as our current BiS Legendary, Shock Barrier.
- Duty-Bound Gavel is the Necrolord-specific Legendary. This Legendary is the strongest of the new Covenant-specific Legendaries. It is extremely competitive with Shock Barrier for Necrolord players and you will want to craft this legendary as one of your first.
- Radiant Embers is the Venthyr-specific Legendary. The most important thing to know about this Legendary is that once you step out of your Ashen Hallow, it disappears. No matter if it was placed 3 seconds ago or 40, it will disappear. That being said, stepping out of it within the first 20-25 seconds of it being on the ground will reduce its cooldown by a significant amount. The general approach to this Legendary can vary depending on the situation but you will either want to step out of it after 20-25 seconds to lower the cooldown to approximately 2 minutes, or stay in the Ashen Hallow until it reaches its maximum duration of 45 seconds.
Kyrian, Venthyr, and Night Fae players do not need to rush to craft their Covenant-specific Legendary. Necrolord players should try to craft their Legendary as soon as possible as it is very strong and competitive with some of the best Legendaries.
- 11 Nov. 2021: Added information about Duty-Bound Gavel for Necrolord Paladins.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Minor changes to Legendary wording.
- 07 Aug. 2021: Updated information regarding the Maraad's Legendary.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Adjusted Legendary recommendations to account for 9.0.5 buffs.
- 23 Feb. 2021: Updated formatting.
- 06 Dec. 2020: Updated Legendary recommendations.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- New Sylvanas Model Remains Encrypted in Patch 9.2 Build 41257
- Zereth Mortis Was in Plain Sight Long Before Patch 9.2
- New Datamined Gladiator's Echoing Resolve PvP Talent in Patch 9.2
- New Incubus / Succubus Warlock Items in Patch 9.2
- Updated Sepulcher of the First Ones Boss Descriptions
- The Jailer's Mace Has Some... Interesting Animations
- Patch 9.1.5 Hotfixes: December 1st
- Patch 9.2 Realms Will Remain Offline Until Tomorrow
- Laughing Skull Orcs Reputation Guide
- Havoc Demon Hunter Shadowlands
- The God-Queen's Fury (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- End of the Risen Threat (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- The Highlord's Return (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- An Impossible Foe (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- Feltotem's Fall (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)
- Closing the Eye (Mage Tower Challenge Guide)