Arcane Mage Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Arcane Mage, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
By doing Torghast, you can craft Legendary items through the new Runecarving system. Many of these powers are large DPS boosts, or contain strong defensive effects. However, you are only able to wear one of these at a time, and you are gated in how many you can craft over time, so it is important to know which Legendary to use in which situation. Below, we go over the best Legendary effects for each situation.
With 9.2, a new Legendary is being added, Unity. This Legendary can be equipped alongside any other Legendary, allowing you to equip 2 Legendaries at once. You must wear Unity to be able to use two Legendaries.
The additional Legendary power will always be your Covenant specific Legendary. So in the caase of Kyrian Arcane Mages, this will always be Harmonic Echo.
- Kyrian Harmonic Echo: Damage dealt to enemies affected by Radiant Spark will echo 30% of its damage to nearby targets and to the primary Radiant Spark target.
- Venthyr Sinful Delight: Consuming Clearcasting reduces the cooldown of Mirrors of Torment by 4 seconds. If Mirrors of Torment is dispelled, the cooldown is reduced by 45 seconds.
- Night Fae Heart of the Fae: Shifting Power can be channeled while moving. Each enemy hit by Shifting Power grants you 1% Critical Strike and Haste, capped to 10%, lasting 15 seconds. Keep in mind, this effect does nothing if you are not hitting any targets with Shifting Power.
- Necrolord Death's Fathom: Your Arcane Blast has a chance to grant Deathborne for 8 seconds, giving 15% bonus spell damage and causing Arcane Blast to hit 2 additional targets. While in the Deathborne form, the bonus damage from Deathborn goes up by 1% for each enemy hit by Arcane Blast.
Best Legendaries for Arcane Mage
|Raiding||Arcane Harmony (if Kyrian) / otherwise Temporal Warp||Shoulders or Hands / Chest or Ring||De Other Side / Torghast (The Upper Reaches, Layer 3+)|
|Mythic+||Arcane Harmony (if Kyrian) / otherwise Arcane Bombardment||Shoulders or Hands / Feet or Back||De Other Side / Torghast (Skoldus Halls, Layer 3+)|
|Torghast||Grisly Icicle / Triune Ward||Shoulder or Head / Neck or Chest||Honor PvP Vendor / Quest: The Great Vault|
For more information regarding the best Legendary for each situation, see below. If a Legendary effect is not listed, you can assume it is worse than all other options that are listed.
Best Overall Legendary for Arcane Mage
Otherwise, there is no Legendary for Arcane which is best or almost best in all situations. The closest option to this is Arcane Bombardment, which is a couple of % (1-3%) behind the best single-target option, but has no restrictions (like Temporal Warp), and is the best Legendary for any cleave/AoE situation.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Raiding usually has tight DPS checks, usually single target focused. The best option for this is generally Temporal Warp. However, Arcane Bombardment is suggested on fights with cleave or where execute DPS is important.
Triune Ward is a defensive alternative, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Arcane Mage
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement, but you feel you really need more survivability. Especially in very high keys, you can get 1-shot by some mechanics, where Triune Ward can help you survive these 1-shots.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Grisly Icicle is a great option when soloing Torghast, as the enemies will remain frozen for the entire duration of Frost Nova even when you are DPSing them, making it very easy to kite enemies and still do damage to them. When doing Torghast as a group, this effect is mostly useless because your group will break your freezes instantly, in which case Arcane Bombardment is the best overall option.
If you need extra survivability against ranged/caster enemies, Triune Ward is a great choice.
What Slot Should Legendaries by Crafted For?
Generally speaking, you will want to craft Legendaries for slots with the highest "stat budget", to maximize the stats you get from Legendaries reaching the highest item level available. Below we have listed the items in order of stat budget:
- Helm, Chest, Legs
- Gloves, Belt, Boots, Shoulders
- Cloak, Bracers
- Neck, Rings
However, due to tier pieces conflicting with these slots, and due to being able to equip 2 Legendaries, the available slots become a lot smaller. Keep in mind, you should never give up a set bonus to be able to equip a Legendary in a "better" slot. It is much better to re-craft a Legendary for a different suboptimal slot and keep your 4 piece bonus than to miss out on 4 piece bonus.
This leads us to the following list of Legendaries and what slot to craft them in:
- Unity: Belt
- Arcane Harmony: Gloves (Or Shoulders if it conflicts with your available tier pieces)
- Arcane Bombardment: Boots
- Temporal Warp: Ring
- 22 Jan. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated slot suggestions based on raid items.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 13 Jun. 2021: Updated best Legendary for Kyrian Mages.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Jan. 2021: Updated Temporal Warp suggestions and descriptions to also be included even when Time Warp is not used early on a fight.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Updated some phrasing on Temporal Warp to be more informative.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Free Character Moves from Firemaw
- Shadowlands 9.2 Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Weeks 10 and 11
- Eyes of the Wolf Calia Menethil Quest in Patch 9.2.5
- Everything We Know About the Shrouded Affix in Shadowlands Season 4
- New Oribos Portals in Patch 9.2.5
- Patch 9.2.5 Build 43741: Achievement Changes
- Patch 9.2 and Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 17th
- Patch 9.2.5 PTR Development Notes: May 17th