Arcane Mage Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Arcane Mage, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
By doing Torghast, you can craft Legendary items through the new Runecarving system. Many of these powers are large DPS boosts, or contain strong defensive effects. However, you are only able to wear one of these at a time, and you are gated in how many you can craft over time, so it is important to know which Legendary to use in which situation. Below, we go over the best Legendary effects for each situation.
New Legendaries in 9.1 for Arcane Mages
None of the Legendaries introduced in 9.1 are better at any scenario than existing Legendaries for Arcane Mages.
Best Legendaries for Arcane Mage
|Raiding||Arcane Harmony (if Kyrian) / otherwise Temporal Warp||Shoulders or Hands / Chest or Ring||De Other Side / Torghast (The Upper Reaches, Layer 3+)|
|Mythic+||Arcane Harmony (if Kyrian) / otherwise Arcane Bombardment||Shoulders or Hands / Feet or Back||De Other Side / Torghast (Skoldus Halls, Layer 3+)|
|Torghast||Grisly Icicle / Triune Ward||Shoulder or Head / Neck or Chest||Honor PvP Vendor / Quest: The Great Vault|
For more information regarding the best Legendary for each situation, see below. If a Legendary effect is not listed, you can assume it is worse than all other options that are listed.
Best Overall Legendary for Arcane Mage
Otherwise, there is no Legendary for Arcane which is best or almost best in all situations. The closest option to this is Arcane Bombardment, which is a couple of % (1-3%) behind the best single-target option, but has no restrictions (like Temporal Warp), and is the best Legendary for any cleave/AoE situation.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Raiding usually has tight DPS checks, usually single target focused. The best option for this is generally Temporal Warp. However, Arcane Bombardment is suggested on fights with cleave or where execute DPS is important.
Triune Ward is a defensive alternative, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Arcane Mage
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement, but you feel you really need more survivability. Especially in very high keys, you can get 1-shot by some mechanics, where Triune Ward can help you survive these 1-shots.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Grisly Icicle is a great option when soloing Torghast, as the enemies will remain frozen for the entire duration of Frost Nova even when you are DPSing them, making it very easy to kite enemies and still do damage to them. When doing Torghast as a group, this effect is mostly useless because your group will break your freezes instantly, in which case Arcane Bombardment is the best overall option.
If you need extra survivability against ranged/caster enemies, Triune Ward is a great choice.
What Slot Should Legendaries by Crafted For?
Generally speaking, you will want to craft Legendaries for slots with the highest "stat budget", to maximize the stats you get from Legendaries reaching the highest item level available. Below we have listed the items in order of stat budget:
- Helm, Chest, Legs
- Gloves, Belt, Boots, Shoulders
- Cloak, Bracers
- Neck, Rings
For people that actively clear Raiding, there are some situations where you might not want to do this. Since the last 2 bosses in Raiding drop higher item level loot, you will want to avoid crafting items for the slots dropped by these bosses. Additionally, you will want to avoid crafting Legendaries in slots that contain Domination Sockets. These slots are:
- Helm (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Shoulders (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Chest (Domination Socket)
- Wrists (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Belt (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Neck (higher item level)
The last 2 bosses also drop a Ring and Trinket, but this is not relevant for Legendary crafting, as you have 2 ring slots, and there are no Legendaries for the Trinket slots.
This leads us to the following list of Legendaries and what slot to craft them in:
- Arcane Harmony: Gloves
- Arcane Bombardment: Boots
- Temporal Warp: Ring
- Grisly Icicle: Neck (although Neck exists at higher item level from raid, there are no slots available without domination sockets)
- Triune Ward: Neck (although Neck exists at higher item level from raid, there are no slots available without domination sockets)
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated slot suggestions based on raid items.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 13 Jun. 2021: Updated best Legendary for Kyrian Mages.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Jan. 2021: Updated Temporal Warp suggestions and descriptions to also be included even when Time Warp is not used early on a fight.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Updated some phrasing on Temporal Warp to be more informative.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips