Demonology Warlock DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
The information presented on this page will help in choosing the best Azerite traits when playing a Demonology Warlock in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.2.5. If you have not yet done so, you will need to obtain the Heart of Azeroth before being able to choose any traits on armour. You can find out how to obtain it in our Heart of Azeroth guide, which acts as a compendium for all Heart-related information.
General Azerite Gear Recommendation
There is one very important practice regarding Azerite Gear we recommend all players take note of. Never scrap, delete, destroy, or disenchant any Azerite Gear that is the same item level (or higher) than your currently equipped piece.
There are several good reasons for this:
- Different traits excel in different environments;
- Blizzard is constantly rebalancing Azerite;
- Certain traits are only effective when matched with appropriate talents.
Having a collection of different Azerite pieces greatly increases your character's flexibility to deal with different types of gameplay. Traits can be hugely influential in maximizing overall DPS, and therefore, this is a habit we recommend every player pick up.
Choosing Azerite Gear as a Demonology Warlock
For most Azerite Gear available, item level will be the main determining factor. Since Azerite gear currently cannot Warforge or Titanforge, there will always be a large discrepancy between different levels of Azerite gear, which make comparing pieces significantly less complex.
For the vast majority of Azerite comparisons, an Azerite piece that is at least +15 item levels higher than another piece will always be better, provided you are able to use at least the Outer Ring trait. In some circumstances, such as when the lower item level item has one of the best available traits, it may actually be worthwhile to take the item level loss for the favorable trait, however, such situations are rare. The only way top reliably determine which pieces are true upgrades past this basic eye test is to compare your items using a tool such as Raidbots.
At the current time, "Middle Ring" traits are much less influential than their "Outer Rings" counterparts. When considering Azerite pieces without the use of a simulation tool, it is best to simply compare the "Outer Ring" traits to determine the relative priority of gear.
Choosing Azerite Traits as a Demonology Warlock
Despite the nerfs, Explosive Potential is still tied for the most desirable trait to have and especially stack even in single target. At the cost of 1 global cooldown every 15 seconds it offers a noticeable amount of flat Haste after you implode at least 3 imps. It is a must have.
The new trait added with Patch 8.1, Baleful Invocation, is easily the most desirable choice, especially in single-target situations, significantly boosting your damage thanks to the extra shards provided during Demonic Tyrant. Stacking this trait for exclusive single target fights becomes viable if you play with Demonic Consumption.
Supreme Commander can allow you to deliver very strong burst potential, particularly when multiple enemies are present. Timing the trait for maximum delivery can be difficult, however, in the right hands it can provide serious cleave.
Blightborne Infusion is one of the top well rounded traits for Demonology, while having the benefit of being a generic one, allowing flexibility between Demonology and Destruction swap in particular.
Shadow's Bite is another decent trait that offers burst windows every time Dreadstalkers expire.
Treacherous Covenant is one of the new traits found inside the new raid Battle of Dazar'alor. It offers a powerful effect but only if you are above 50% health; in addition it has a noticeable downside of 15% extra damage taken if you fall below 20% health. Consider taking it only within raid environment, as is much more frequent/easier to drop below 50% health during Mythic+ dungeons.
The Middle Ring traits are very analog, and you should therefore choose whatever ranks highest in the simulations provided on the page.
As with most classes, Resounding Protection generally offers the best survivability and utility. This trait is exceptional and should be selected when available.
Longstrider can provide a noticeable movement speed increase, particularly if you have multiple traits. This is especially useful for encounters that require quick footwork, kiting, or some sort of "dance" mechanic.
Impassive Visage provides extra healing, and can trigger very often. This trait works best on fights where there is constant raid damage, allowing you to get maximum returns on the short cooldown of the trait.
Azerite Simulation Rankings for Demonology Warlock
Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Demonology Warlock
Some of your Azerite Traits in Battle For Azeroth can have a small effect on your rotation. They generally do not change the fundamentals, but they allow you to use their effects to squeeze just a little bit more damage out than your competition.
- Explosive Potential in multitarget doesnt require any rotational changes; in single target however it becomes a maintenance buff so you want to have a close as 100% uptime on it.
- Supreme Commander should not be overly played around, as it is important to get as much damage and as many demons out as possible during Summon Demonic Tyrant.
- Shadow's Bite can be a potent damage increase if you have Demonic Core procs. Tracking this proc can be very helpful as it is predictable and easily anticipated.
Generic Outer Ring Traits
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Retaliatory Fury gives your abilities a chance to give you a Mastery buff and a shield for 10 seconds.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Ancients' Bulwark grants you Versatility while you are not moving, and heals you over time while you are moving. This trait is exclusive to Alliance players and has no Horde equivalent.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Arcane Heart causes every 1,500,000 combined damage and healing you deal to increase your highest secondary stat, and heal for 5% of all Arcane damage you take for 15 seconds.
- Loyal to the End increases your Mastery, plus additional Mastery for every nearby ally who also has the trait selected. When you die, your allies gain Critical Strike, Haste, and Versatility equal to their own Mastery bonus.
- Undulating Tides grants your spells and abilites a chance to deal Frost damage. Additionally, when you fall below 50% health, you gain an absorb for 8 seconds.
- Clockwork Heart grants you all secondary stats for 12 seconds, once per minute.
Demonology Warlock Specific Outer Ring Traits
Here is a list of the Demonology-specific Azerite traits:
- Baleful Invocation increases your Demonic Tyrant damage and gives you 5 shards when you summon it.
- Demonic Meteor causes Hand of Gul'dan to deal additional damage, and it has a 5% chance per Soul Shard spent of refunding a Soul Shard.
- Explosive Potential causes you to gain Haste for 6 seconds when your Implosion consumes at least 3 Wild Imps.
- Forbidden Knowledge grants your Call Dreadstalkers a 30% chance to make your next non-instant Demonbolt deal substantial additional damage.
- Shadow's Bite increases your Demonbolt damage for 8 seconds each time your Call Dreadstalkers expire and fade away.
- Supreme Commander grants a stack of Demonic Core and an Intellect increase for 15 seconds when your Summon Demonic Tyrant expires.
- Umbral Blaze grants Hand of Gul'dan a 15% chance to burn the target of your Hand of Gul'dan for additional damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds.
Generic Middle Ring Traits
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
Inner Ring Traits for Demonology Warlock
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Desperate Power grants Leech to you for 20 seconds after your Healthstone has been used.
- Lifeblood causes Drain Life to heal for additional health each second when you are below 50% health.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Demonology Warlock. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|