Enhancement Shaman DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
The information on this page contains the best choices for Azerite traits in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.2.5, for an Enhancement Shaman. Before you are able to use the traits, you must first obtain the Heart of Azeroth. Our Heart of Azeroth guide shows how to do so.
Choosing Azerite Gear as an Enhancement Shaman
Your choice of Azerite options will usually come down to a combination of item level versus the value of Outer Ring traits, with other Ring traits often taking a back foot due to how even they are. It is hard to pin a rule on this value due to swings in gains both in single target and AoE situations, and as such simulations and tools such as Bloodmallet, linked below, are the preferred way of navigating this, as it will often be personal to your character.
In many cases, if the item level difference between two Azerite items exceeds 25 item levels, it is unlikely that a trait will cause a significant enough impact to alter your selection. Using a tool like Raidbots to make sure is always advised. Due to how weak some traits are ( Lightning Conduit) or due to the fact that some traits have no versatility in AoE circumstances ( Strength of Earth), giving a universal recommendation is too difficult currently.
Bear in mind that the additional Stamina can be beneficial for survival if you feel you are lacking in this regard. In the same vein, if survival is what you need and upgrading based on item level will prevent you from reaching an Inner Ring defensive trait due to your Heart of Azeroth level, this is likely a poor trade-off unless you are gaining a significant amount of damage in the process.
Choosing Azerite Traits as a Enhancement Shaman
In the sections that follow, we will look at the best traits to choose. Note that these traits are not strictly ordered by power, but rather, we simply note which traits are good choices in their respective builds.
Traits on these two rings listed have two separate categories for Enhancement in season 2: build enabling and generic.
- Build enabling traits are defining traits that enable different talent builds and should be stacked when using them.
- generic traits are generally fine for any build and will slot in, but do not have any strict synergies or requirements to make use of.
Shaman traits are now very strong, as long as you have a supporting talent build (as explained on the talents page) due to the flexibility granted by having 6 possible options to combine. With that said, the following traits are the most powerful options currently available.
- Primal Primer is a build enabling trait that enables multiple talents at once when taken ( Hot Hand, Totem Mastery and Hailstorm), and is unique in that case. This drastically shifts the damage profile of Enhancement toward Lava Lash, and allows for a very powerful single-target option. When using this, you absolutely need to be aiming for 3 traits as quickly as possible due to how strong the synergy it creates is.
- Strength of Earth is a build enabling trait that enables Boulderfist (and in turn Landslide) by encouraging more frequent use of Rockbiter (due to the additional damage each cast is worth). If you are intending to make use of this trait, you should ideally be trying to have 3 instances of it on your gear, and lean into the Rockbiter build. This is a powerful single-target and priority-target option.
- Natural Harmony is unique in that it is both generic and build specific. This grants additional Critical Strike, Haste, and Mastery when you deal damage with each specific element in the Enhancement toolkit. This can fit into any build due to the solid stat boost for both single-target and AoE situations. Note that you do not use Frostbrand normally, and will not gain the Mastery effect. However, when combined with Hailstorm (which the Primal Primer build makes use of), this activates all 3 buffs to make use of the entire trait, granting a strong synergistic combination between the two.
- Ancestral Resonance is a generic trait that, for a single point, increases your Bloodlust duration by 10 seconds (it does not scale with additional points). It also grants a Mastery proc that can occur at all times, with an increased chance during the Bloodlust window. This is very strong for amplifying your damage during this time period (not to mention that, when active, the Mastery proc also significantly amplifies your AoE damage).
- Thunderaan's Fury is a generic trait that, for a single point, grants Stormstrike a 10% chance to spawn a totem for 6 seconds. This totem will double your chance to trigger the Windfury effect when active, and has very specific synergy with Forceful Winds and as such you are encouraged to use this combination when taking it. It also increases your Stormstrike damage, but not by a significant amount so is not really worth stacking. This is a great option when using a universal build for AoE purposes.
- Roiling Storm is a generic trait that gives a stacking buff that reduces the Maelstrom cost by 2, and increases the damage of your next Stormstrike every 2 seconds, stacking up to 15 times. This fits into any build, due to Stormstrike being a core ability, and excels when any downtime occurs in a fight, allowing you to stack it for free when away from your target. Note that only the damage increase improves with extra instances of the trait.
- Treacherous Covenant is a generic trait that provides additional Agility when above 50% health, but you take 15% increased damage when below 20%. The downside is not too punishing, but the significantly increased value of Agility gained makes this a great catch all trait that can work well in any of the 3 build choices.
- Dagger in the Back, Tidal Surge and Rezan's Fury are more single-target oriented, and all perform adequately for those fight archetypes, but suffer when put into AoE and Cleave situations.
- Conversely, Tradewinds and Incite the Pack both provide a solid boost when additional targets are involved and you can keep Crash Lightning active to make use of the additional Mastery it grants.
Middle Ring traits are all fairly low impact, and your decision on which piece you use will generally be dictated by the Outer Ring options instead. That being said, here are some notes on the options.
- While Overwhelming Power does sim as the best, the stack loss from taking damage in nearly all content is significant enough to hurt its power, with some fights having damage so frequent that it can cut the duration in half. This does not stop it from being a good choice, but you should take its ranking with a grain of salt.
- Heed My Call does perform worse, but comes with a small boost in very stacked AoE situations, thanks to the splash damage effect.
- Gutripper is a strong single-target option, but is relatively weak in AoE and Cleave. In fights that have a heavy focus on Execute phases however (such as G'huun or Fetid Devourer), this can accelerate its power and makes it a worthy choice in those circumstances.
- Azerite Globules does perform very well in AoE situations, but remember that all 3 stacks have to apply to the same target and detonate the effect before it dies. In many cases this will not happen and the earlier applied stacks will be wasted, making it a bit too variable to see much consistent use.
The traits in this Ring are situational and mostly about your survival rather than about your DPS; this means that ranking them precisely is difficult. Just try to decide, based on the content you are doing, which traits are most likely to be useful.
Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Enhancement Shaman
The Enhancement Shaman rotation does not change heavily based on the Azerite traits you have in use, as most will be consumed passively during regular gameplay. That said, we would like to mention a few aspects of how some of the traits work.
- Natural Harmony's Frost damage component is generally not activated right now. Having this trait does not require you to cast Frostbrand, but with one or more of these traits it will enable Hailstorm as a talent option.
- Primal Primer makes it better to use Lava Lash more liberally, making it a more appealing cast when you reach 10 stacks. It also displaces Stormstrike in the rotation when more than one of these traits are used.
- Synapse Shock can work moderately well when taken with Overcharge, but the playstyle requirement is the same, regardless of if you have the talent selected. In order to keep the buff at 5 stacks as required, you need to keep casting Lightning Bolt during your normal rotation. This is extremely disruptive to your rotation, so the trait is generally not recommended.
- Strength of Earth requires you to make sure that you do not waste the buff when active, by avoiding casting Rockbiter back to back.
Azerite Trait Simulations
Outer Ring Simulations
Here are the simulation results for the best Outer Ring traits (both Shaman-specific and generic).
Middle Ring Simulations
Here are the simulation results of the best Middle Ring traits (even though this Ring is less important).
Azerite Traits for Enhancement Shaman
Outer Ring Traits
This Ring of traits is made out of various activatable special effects.
- Enhancement-specific traits, which only impact abilities that are exclusive to the specialization.
- Shaman-specific traits, which have effects that are shared with the other two Shaman specializations, Restoration, and Elemental.
- Generic traits, which all classes have access to.
The Enhancement-specific traits are as follows:
- Lightning Conduit causes your Stormstrike casts to mark the target for 30 seconds. Subsequent Stormstrike casts will deal additional Nature damage to any marked target when cast.
- Primal Primer causes melee attacks while Flametongue is active to leave a debuff that increases the damage of your next Lava Lash cast on the target, stacking up to 10 times.
- Roiling Storm increases the damage of your Stormbringer empowered Stormstrike casts, and also activates Stormbringer once every 20 seconds when in combat.
- Strength of Earth causes your Rockbiter to grant a buff that will be consumed on your next non-Rockbiter cast, dealing additional Nature damage.
- Thunderaan's Fury increases Stormstrike damage, and gives each cast a 10% chance to summon a totem that doubles your Windfury proc chance for 6 seconds.
The Shaman-specific traits are as follows:
- Ancestral Resonance increases the duration of your Bloodlust / Heroism effect by 10 seconds. It also grants a chance to trigger a Mastery buff for 15 seconds, with an increased chance to trigger during Bloodlust effects.
- Synapse Shock grants additional Agility for 15 seconds after casting Lightning Bolt, stacking up to 5 times.
- Natural Harmony grants additional secondary stats for 12 seconds
when you deal damage of a specific elemental school:
- Fire damage will grant additional Critical Strike;
- Frost damage will grant additional Mastery;
- Nature damage will grant additional Haste.
The generic traits are as follows:
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
Benthic and Eternal Palace Traits
These traits are only found on Benthic items acquired on Nazjatar and Azerite pieces found within the Eternal Palace raid.
- Arcane Heart causes every 1,500,000 combined damage and healing you deal to increase your highest secondary stat, and heal for 5% of all Arcane damage you take for 15 seconds.
- Loyal to the End increases your Mastery, plus additional Mastery for every nearby ally who also has the trait selected. When you die, your allies gain Critical Strike, Haste, and Versatility equal to their own Mastery bonus.
- Undulating Tides grants your spells and abilites a chance to deal Frost damage. Additionally, when you fall below 50% health, you gain an absorb for 8 seconds.
These traits are only found on Azerite pieces from the Operation: Mechagon dungeon.
- Clockwork Heart grants you all secondary stats for 12 seconds, once per minute.
- Person-Computer Interface increases a secondary stat if you have a Pocket-Sized Computation Device equipped. The secondary that is chosen depends on which Logic Board you have equipped.
Battle for Dazar'Alor Traits
These three traits are only found on raid gear within Battle of Dazar'Alor.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Seductive Power causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to conjure Bwonsamdi. If you approach him, you gain a small increase to all stats for 5 minutes, stacking up to 5 times. If you fail to heed his call, you lose one stack.
Uldir Raid Traits
These two traits are only found on raid gear within Uldir.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
If either of these traits is active on your gear when you are inside Uldir, it will also grant the Reorigination Array effect, increasing your highest secondary stat.
Middle Ring Traits for Enhancement Shaman
This Azerite ring only exists on gear that is item level 340 or higher. It typically has options that improve the roles your class can perform.
The Enhancement-appropriate traits are as follows.
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
Inner Ring Traits for Enhancement Shaman
The traits available for Enhancement are as follows.
- Ancient Ankh Talisman increases your maximum Health when Reincarnation is available. It also increases the recharge rate of your Ankh by 50% if at full Health.
- Pack Spirit heals you every second while in your Ghost Wolf form.
- Serene Spirit heals you whenever you activate Astral Shift, as well as an additional time when the effect expires.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Enhancement Shaman. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|