Enhancement Shaman DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as an Enhancement Shaman
Your choice of Azerite options will usually come down to a combination of item level versus the value of Outer Ring traits, with other Ring traits often taking a back foot due to how even they are. It is hard to pin a rule on this value due to swings in gains both in single target and AoE situations, and as such simulations and tools such as Bloodmallet, linked below, are the preferred way of navigating this, as it will often be personal to your character.
In many cases, if the item level difference between two Azerite items exceeds 25 item levels, it is unlikely that a trait will cause a significant enough impact to alter your selection. Using a tool like Raidbots to make sure is always advised. Due to how weak some traits are ( Lightning Conduit) or due to the fact that some traits have no versatility in AoE circumstances ( Strength of Earth), giving a universal recommendation is too difficult currently.
Bear in mind that the additional Stamina can be beneficial for survival if you feel you are lacking in this regard. In the same vein, if survival is what you need and upgrading based on item level will prevent you from reaching an Inner Ring defensive trait due to your Heart of Azeroth level, this is likely a poor trade-off unless you are gaining a significant amount of damage in the process.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Enhancement Shaman
In the sections that follow, we will look at the best traits to choose. While the traits are ordered by power, this order is not a very strict priority, but more of a guideline.
2.1. Outer Ring
Many of the traits are very similar, and the performance comes down solely to the item. Shaman traits in general are quite low impact, with stronger choices being flat damage or straight forward stat boosts without much nuance. With that said, here are some traits that will generally serve you well:
Laser Matrix and Archive of the Titans will both activate the Reorigination Array effect when within Uldir, and as such having at least one of these traits in the raid to trigger it is very important. Archive will usually serve best for damage output in Uldir encounters, but Laser Matrix is still fine if you have no Reorigination Array active.
Ancestral Resonance provides extra power to your Bloodlust or Heroism effect, giving a huge boost to your Mastery when you cast it yourself. This means you can also gain the effect while Sated, so the bonus can be gained once per 5 minutes. This can be great to add an extra cooldown to your toolkit for certain fight timings, and is excellent for a large boost to your AoE power in large Mythic+ pulls.
Natural Harmony is a more versatile catch all stat boost that works well in both single target and AoE well. Note you do not use Frostbrand actively to maintain the Frost buff unless you are using Hailstorm, the other two effects are enough to keep it useful.
2.2. Middle Ring
Middle Ring traits are all fairly low impact, and your decision on which piece you use will generally be dictated by the Outer Ring option instead. That being said, some notes on the options:
While Overwhelming Power does sim as the best, the stack loss from taking damage in nearly all content is significant enough to hurt its power, with some fights having damage so frequent it can cut the duration in half. This does not stop it from being a good choice, but take its ranking with a grain of salt.
Heed My Call does perform worse, but comes with a small boost in very stacked AoE situations with the splash damage effect.
Gutripper is a strong single target option, but relatively weak in AoE and Cleave. In fights that have a heavy focus on Execute phases however (such as G'huun or Fetid Devourer), this can accelerate its power and makes it a worthy choice in those circumstances.
Azerite Globules does perform very well in AoE situations, but remember that all 3 stacks have to apply to the same target and detonate the effect before it dies. In many cases this will not happen and the earlier applied stacks will be wasted, making it a bit too variable to see much consistent use.
2.3. Inner Ring
The traits in this Ring are situational and mostly about your survival instead of your DPS; this means that ranking them precisely is difficult. Just try to decide, based on the content you are doing, which traits are most likely to be useful.
3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Enhancement Shaman
The Enhancement Shaman rotation does not change heavily based on the Azerite traits you have in use, as most will be consumed passively during regular gameplay. That said, we would like to mention a few aspects of how some of the traits work.
- Ancestral Resonance will trigger the Mastery effect whether or not you are Sated, so you can use Bloodlust / Heroism to gain this effect multiple times during long encounters.
- Natural Harmony's Frost damage component is generally not activated right now. Having this trait does not require you to cast Frostbrand, nor does it bring Hailstorm up to a competitive level.
- Primal Primer makes using Lava Lash more liberally better, making it a more appealing cast when you reach 10 stacks. Do not displace Stormstrike in the priority for this, however.
- Synapse Shock can work moderately well when taken with Overcharge, but the playstyle requirement is the same, regardless of if you have the talent selected. In order to keep the buff at 5 stacks as required, you need to keep casting Lightning Bolt during your normal rotation. This is extremely disruptive to your rotation, so the trait is generally not recommended.
4. Azerite Trait Simulations
4.1. Outer Ring Simulations
Here are the simulation results for the best Outer Ring traits (both Shaman-specific and generic).
4.2. Middle Ring Simulations
Here are the simulation results of the best Middle Ring traits (even though this Ring is less important).
5. Azerite Traits for Enhancement Shaman
5.1. Outer Ring Traits
This Ring of traits is made out of various activatable special effects.
- Enhancement-specific traits, which only impact abilities that are exclusive to the specialization.
- Shaman-specific traits, which have effects that are shared with the other two Shaman specializations, Restoration, and Elemental.
- Generic traits, which all classes have access to.
The Enhancement-specific traits are as follows:
- Lightning Conduit causes your Stormstrike casts to mark the target for 30 seconds. Subsequent Stormstrike casts will deal additional Nature damage to any marked target when cast.
- Primal Primer causes melee attacks while Flametongue is active to leave a debuff that increases the damage of your next Lava Lash cast on the target, stacking up to 10 times.
- Roiling Storm gives a stacking buff every 2 seconds that increases the damage of your next Stormstrike, as well as reducing the Maelstrom cost by 2.
- Strength of Earth causes your Rockbiter to grant a buff that will be consumed on your next non-Rockbiter cast, dealing additional Nature damage.
- Thunderaan's Fury increases Stormstrike damage, and gives each cast a 10% chance to summon a totem that doubles your Windfury proc chance for 6 seconds.
The Shaman-specific traits are as follows:
- Ancestral Resonance grants a stacking Mastery buff every second for 20 seconds after casting Bloodlust / Heroism. This persists for 20 seconds after reaching the maximum stack and will activate regardless of Sated debuffs.
- Rumbling Tremors causes your Earth Elemental to cast Tremors around it while active, dealing additional AoE damage to enemies within 8 yards every 2 seconds. It also gains additional auto-attack damage.
- Synapse Shock grants additional Agility for 15 seconds after casting Lightning Bolt, stacking up to 5 times.
- Natural Harmony grants additional secondary stats for 12 seconds
when you deal damage of a specific elemental school:
- Fire damage will grant additional Critical Strike;
- Frost damage will grant additional Mastery;
- Nature damage will grant additional Haste.
The generic traits are as follows:
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
5.1.1. Uldir Raid Traits
These two traits are only found on raid gear within Uldir:
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
If either of these traits is active on your gear when you are inside Uldir, it will also grant the Reorigination Array effect, increasing your highest secondary stat.
5.2. Middle Ring Traits for Enhancement Shaman
This Azerite ring only exists on gear that is item level 340 or higher. It typically has options that improve the roles your class can perform.
The Enhancement-appropriate traits are as follows:
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
5.3. Inner Ring Traits for Enhancement Shaman
The traits available for Enhancement are as follows:
- Ancient Ankh Talisman increases your maximum Health when Reincarnation is available. It also increases the recharge rate of your Ankh by 50% if at full Health.
- Pack Spirit heals you every second while in your Ghost Wolf form.
- Serene Spirit heals you whenever you activate Astral Shift, as well as an additional time when the effect expires.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
6. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Enhancement Shaman. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 11 Dec. 2018: Added in new upcoming trait additions.
- 06 Oct. 2018: Updated page format.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Switched to Bloodmallet charts for Azerite rankings.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 10 Aug. 2018: Page created.
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- Allied Races: Are Mechagnomes and Vulpera Next?
- Titan Residuum Hotfix: January 16th
- The Story of Xal'atath in Patch 8.1.5
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Highlights
- This Week in WoW: January 15th
- What's Changing (and Not!) in Season 2
- Bruce (Brawler's Guild Mount) in Patch 8.1.5
- Feral Druid 8.1
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1
- Unholy Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Survival Hunter PvP 8.1
- Subtlety Rogue PvP 8.1
- Shadow Priest PvP 8.1
- Retribution Paladin PvP 8.1