Fire Mage DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
This page contains all information required to choose the best Azerite traits for a Fire Mage in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.3. You will need to have collected the Heart of Azeroth before you can choose any traits, so make sure to consult our Heart of Azeroth guide for more information, if you have not done so yet.
Choosing Azerite Gear as a Fire Mage
Your choice of Azerite Gear pieces will almost always come down to the item level first, and the traits that it has second. Note that the traits you will look at when choosing gear are the Outer Ring traits, as these are the ones with the biggest impact on your gameplay.
The general rule is that if an item is a 15+ item level upgrade over another item, you should use it. If the difference between the two items is less than 15 item levels, then you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. As we said, though, this is a general rule and there are exceptions; for example, if you are comparing an extremely bad trait ( Blood Rite) to a good one ( Tidal Surge). It is nearly impossible to take every single variable into account without using a tool like Raidbots to simulate the difference for yourself.
It is worth noting that if the difference between the traits is very small, then the higher item level pick will be more desirable. Azerite pieces have a high amount of Stamina, increasing your maximum health. A tiny difference in that regard can be the difference between dying and surviving, so item level is almost always king.
Choosing Azerite Traits as a Fire Mage
In the sections that follow, we will look at the best traits to choose. While the traits are ordered by power, this order is not a very strict priority, but more of a guideline.
The Outer Ring traits are the first ones you unlock, and they are by far the most important from a DPS perspective. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
Wildfire and Blaster Master compete as your best trait in practice. You should always aim to have at least one Wildfire on your gear. Then after that, the choice between Wildfire and Blaster Master depends entirely on your talents and essences.
Generally speaking, Blaster Master will be your best trait, especially when using Memory of Lucid Dreams as your major essence. (Which is the mest major essence) However, with any other major essence, Blaster Master loses value. In those cases, especially when running Pyroclasm, Wildfire can take over the best spot from Blaster Master. Raidbots top gear is advised to help you pick your best traits.
It is advised to use the Blaster Master combo described in the rotation changes below if you have at least one Blaster Master trait.
Undulating Tides is the third best (only slightly worse than Blaster Master / Wildfire) single-target trait, in theory. In practice, it is much less powerful since when you get the shield, the damage aspect of the trait can no longer proc for 45 seconds. Because of this, it is generally not worth taking unless the other traits on the item are bad. It is also worth noting, that this trait does not drop in Ny'alotha, which means it is impossible to get this trait on the highest item level gear, so it is only obtainable while gearing up.
Treacherous Covenant is in theory the fourth best single-target DPS trait. However, it comes with 2 major drawbacks which cause it to not be a good trait to pick on progress fights. The fact that it does not boost your primary stat when below 50% Health means it can in actual fights be much worse than simulated below. The other downside is that it can actually make you die in situations where you normally would not die, by making you take additional damage when already low Health. Because of all of this, we only advise you to pick this trait on fights that you have killed before, where you expect yourself to be on high Health most of the time. It is also worth noting, that this trait does not drop in Ny'alotha, which means it is impossible to get this trait on the highest item level gear, so it is only obtainable while gearing up.
A note on Dagger in the Back: it does well in simulations, but the numbers shown in the simulations assume that you are always hitting the boss from behind. This is not always practical, so the trait is actually a bit worse than shown in the simulations on almost every raid encounter.
For a rough outline on which traits are good, check out the simulations below.
The Middle Ring traits are all fairly close, and they will rarely affect your choice of Azerite Gear. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
Overwhelming Power has the highest DPS potential of the traits in this ring, but it will lose efficiency whenever you take damage, which can be very often in some raid encounters.
Azerite Globules is generally not worth choosing. Its main value comes from AoE damage, but the debuff has to actually stack up 3 times before it does damage. In Mythic+ where AoE is the most prevalent, targets die constantly, meaning that many stacks of this debuff will get lost.
Since the Inner Ring Traits are all defensive Traits, they are mostly up to personal preference, and depend a lot on the raid encounter.
Resounding Protection is an absorb shield that automatically gets applied every 30 seconds. This is one of the best defensive traits to have, as you will always be able to benefit from it.
Eldritch Warding increases your shielding significantly. It is a good trait if you find yourself having to use shields a lot.
Impassive Visage is a nice passive heal to have. It will not do enormous amounts of healing, but it is applied automatically and it will help your healers out a bit.
Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Fire Mage
Some of your Azerite Traits in Battle For Azeroth can have a small effect on your rotation. They generally do not change the fundamentals, but they allow you to use their effects to squeeze just a little bit more damage out than your competition.
Blaster Master when used perfectly, can allow you to extend the buff for prolonged periods of time, and allows you to keep high stacks relatively long, allowing huge burst potential.
Blaster Master can be maximised during Combustion by only using Fire Blast when the Blaster Master buff has minimal time remaining. Doing the standard Combustion rotation will not allow you to use Fire Blast at the end of the Blaster Master buff, which is why you should instead use a combination of Scorch and Fire Blast to allow more control over exact Fire blast timings without giving up any potential Hot Streaks. During Combustion, you should enter a scorch and Fire Blast with as little time as possible left on the buff before firing off a double Pyroblast and entering another Scorch. The above can be a bit confusing, so below are 2 images showing the exact rotation in actual play. (timestamps will vary a bit depending on haste)
If your pre-cast Fireball crits:
If your pre-cast Fireball does not crit:
- Trailing Embers does not directly impact your rotation, but in AoE/cleave situations you should try to position yourself in such a way that Pyroblast travels over as many targets as possible.
Single Target Azerite Traits Simulations for Fire Mage
Outer Ring Trait Simulations for Fire Mage on Single Target
Middle Ring Trait Comparisons for Fire Mage on Single Target
AoE/Cleave Azerite Traits Simulations for Fire Mage
Outer Ring Trait Simulations for Fire Mage on AoE/Cleave
Middle Ring Trait Simulations for Fire Mage on AoE/Cleave
Outer Ring Traits for Fire Mage
Generic Outer Ring Traits
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Retaliatory Fury gives your abilities a chance to give you a Mastery buff and a shield for 10 seconds.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
Fire Mage specific Outer Ring Traits
- Blaster Master makes Fire Blast increase your Mastery for 3 seconds.
- Duplicative Incineration makes Fireball do a bit more damage, but more importantly, it has a 5% chance to shoot an additional Fireball. This Fireball can proc Heating Up or convert an existing Heating Up to Hot Streak. The Fireball coming from this trait can actually proc another Fireball as well, which in turn can also proc Heating Up and Hot Streaks (and even more Fireballs!). The Fireball from this trait is not supposed to remove Heating Up if it lands and does not critically strike when you have Heating Up, but on the current version of the BfA Beta this is not the case. We do, however, expect this to be fixed before BfA launches.
- Firemind gives you an Intellect bonus after consuming Hot Streak that can stack up to 3 times, lasting 12 seconds.
- Flames of Alacrity causes Enhanced Pyrotechnics to give some Haste as well.
- Wildfire makes Pyroblast do extra damage, and when activating Combustion it gives you a Critical Strike buff, and 4 remaining allies a smaller Critical Strike buff.
- Trailing Embers causes there to be a line of fire between yourself and the target of your Pyroblast, dealing damage over 6 seconds. It also hits the target of your Pyroblast.
Middle Ring Traits for Fire Mage
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
Inner Ring Traits for Fire Mage
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Cauterizing Blink heals you for a small amount over 4 seconds. Also works with Shimmer when talented.
- Eldritch Warding makes Blazing Barrier stronger by absorbing more damage before breaking.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Fire Mage. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.