Holy Priest Healing Spec, Builds, and Talents — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Holy Priest in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Holy Priest talents.
Talent Choices for Holy Priest
|15||✓ Enlightenment||✓ Trail of Light||? Renewed Faith|
|25||? Angel's Mercy||✗ Body and Soul||✓ Angelic Feather|
|30||✓ Cosmic Ripple||✓ Guardian Angel||✗ Afterlife|
|35||✓ Psychic Voice||✓ Censure||✓ Shining Force|
|40||? Surge of Light||? Binding Heal||✓ Prayer Circle|
|45||✓ Benediction||✓ Divine Star||✓ Halo|
|50||? Light of the Naaru||✓ Apotheosis||✓ Holy Word: Salvation|
Talents can be freely changed when out of combat and in a rested XP area (such as an inn or a capital city). Moreover, Tome of the Still Mind and Codex of the Still Mind can be used to temporarily allow players to change talents anywhere, as long as they are out of combat.
Talent Cheat Sheet for Holy Priests
While optimizing talents on a contextual basis is the highly recommended method of setting up your build, the talent builds listed below work great for specific purposes.
Depending on the talents you end up choosing, your playstyle maybe slightly altered. To properly understand the impact talents have on your rotation and to utilise them alongside the rest of your toolkit have a look at the rotation page below.
The talent setup below is a good starting point for raiding. It is highly recommended you read the individual talent points further down the page, as level 40 and 45 talents in particular have other situational talent options.
- Level 15: Enlightenment
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Cosmic Ripple
- Level 35: Any
- Level 40: Prayer Circle
- Level 45: Halo
- Level 50: Holy Word: Salvation
The talent setup below is a good starting point for dungeons. While Holy Priest talents for dungeons are less open than raid ones, the optimal setup depends on both your group composition and the dungeon you are clearing. This build in particular aims to maximize your ability to keep the tank and other focused targets alive by boosting your single target healing.
- Level 15: Trail of Light
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Guardian Angel
- Level 35: Any
- Level 40: Surge of Light
- Level 45: Divine Star
- Level 50: Apotheosis
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Holy Priests
|✔ Enlightenment||✔ Trail of Light||? Renewed Faith|
- Enlightenment passively increases your Mana regeneration rate by 10%.
- Trail of Light causes Flash Heal and Heal casts to also heal the previous target you healed with Flash Heal for 35% of the amount. Casting one of these spells two or more times in a row on the same target does not cause them to benefit from Trail of Light, and instead, the previously healed other target is still healed, no matter how many heals ago you had healed them.
- Renewed Faith increases your healing done to targets you have Renew on.
Enlightenment is currently the recommended choice in this tier for raiding, providing you with more Mana to spend for the duration of the encounter.
Trail of Light is a good choice for dungeons where Mana is not a concern and you find yourself spot healing a lot with Flash Heal or Heal. It can also be useful in raid encounters with a heavy single-target focus. When running the Flash Concentration Legendary Lower, Trail of Light provides great value by enhancing each of your Heal and Flash Heal casts even further.
Renewed Faith should be paired with the level 45 talent Benediction. While small amount of extra healing can be useful, due to the small amount we use Renew and the random way that Benediction applies renew this talent is not ideal outside of scenarios with very constant damage.
Tier 2 (Level 25) Talents for Holy Priests
|? Angel's Mercy||✘ Body and Soul||✔ Angelic Feather|
- Angel's Mercy causes damage you take to reduce the cooldown of Desperate Prayer based on how much damage you received.
- Body and Soul grants 3 seconds of 40% increased movement speed on targets of your Power Word: Shield.
- Angelic Feather is an active ability with 3 charges and a 20-second recharge time. It places a feather at the targeted location, which grants a 40% increase in movement speed for 5 seconds to the first ally who comes in contact with it. Only 3 feathers can be active at any given time.
Angelic Feather is the suggested dungeon and raid talent as it allows you to gain a small movement speed buff at a moment's notice, and can also be cast in locations to allow your allies to instead collect the buff.
Tier 3 (Level 30) Talents for Holy Priests
|✔ Cosmic Ripple||✔ Guardian Angel||✘ Afterlife|
- Cosmic Ripple causes you to heal 5 nearby injured targets when your Holy Word: Sanctify or Holy Word: Serenity finish their cooldown.
- Guardian Angel reduces the cooldown of Guardian Spirit to 60 seconds when it expires on a target without having saved them from dying.
- Afterlife increases the duration of your Spirit of Redemption by 50% and cast range by 30%.
Cosmic Ripple provides the most raid-healing benefit and is generally the recommended choice for maximising your own personal raid-healing.
Guardian Angel is suggested for dungeons and most raid encounters, allowing you to cast Guardian Spirit more often. The additional healing provided is usually enough to save someone so the death prevention component does not trigger.
Tier 4 (Level 35) Talents for Holy Priests
|✔ Psychic Voice||✔ Censure||✔ Shining Force|
- Psychic Voice reduces the cooldown of Psychic Scream by 30 seconds.
- Censure causes Holy Word: Chastise to also stun the target for 4 seconds.
- Shining Force is an active ability with a 45-second cooldown. It knocks back all enemies located around your (friendly) target, slowing their movement speed by 70% for 3 seconds.
All 3 of these talents can have good situational uses in both raiding and dungeon groups. You should pick one based on what additional utility your group requires from you.
Tier 5 (Level 40) Talents for Holy Priests
|? Surge of Light||? Binding Heal||✔ Prayer Circle|
- Surge of Light causes your healing spells and Smite to have an 8% chance to make your next Flash Heal instant cast and cost no Mana. Getting a Surge of Light proc while you already had an unused one will grant you 2 charges of the proc (which is the maximum you can have at any one time).
- Binding Heal is an active ability with no cooldown and a 1.5-second cast time. It heals your target, yourself, and another random ally within 20 yards. Binding Heal reduces the remaining cooldown of both Holy Word: Serenity and Holy Word: Sanctify by 3 seconds each.
- Prayer Circle provides a temporary increase to your Prayer of Healing casting speed after casting Circle of Healing.
Surge of Light can be a good option for dungeons, as it provides some Mana savings, and can proc from casting Smite which generates charges while dealing damage; you can then immediately use them as healing is required. When running the Legendary Power Flash Concentration this talent has very strong synergy by providing you with nearly all of the required Flash Heal casts to keep the buff up.
Binding Heal is a Mana-efficient filler spell when you are damaged that also reduces the cooldown of both Holy Word: Serenity and Holy Word: Sanctify. Unfortunately, because Binding Heal casts replace other filler casts, its competition is not just other talents on this row but also other fillers like Heal and Prayer of Healing which make Binding Heal an inferior choice in nearly all scenarios.
Prayer Circle is a great option for raid throughput, offering increased healing per second to the main AoE filler, Prayer of Healing, for a few seconds after each Circle of Healing cast. Be mindful not to hold Circle of Healing unless you know there is about to be some raid-wide damage that would really benefit from Prayer Circle in the next few seconds. It is still important for your throughput and efficiency to keep casting Circle of Healing as often as possible.
Tier 6 (Level 45) Talents for Holy Priests
|✔ Benediction||✔ Divine Star||✔ Halo|
- Benediction causes your Prayer of Mending to have a 25% chance to place a Renew on each target it heals.
- Divine Star is an active ability with a 15-second cooldown. It resembles a yo-yo, in the sense that a ball of energy travels in a path away from you (in front of you), and after reaching a certain point (24 yards away), it returns. Both on the first, as well as on the second trip, it heals allies and damages enemies in its path.
- Halo is an active ability with a 40-second cooldown and a 1.5-second cast time. It creates a ring around you that expands in radius (up to 30 yards). Allies who come in contact with it are healed, and enemies are damaged.
Divine Star is useful for dungeons by providing both damage and group healing when the positioning of your group allows. It can be quite difficult to get good value in raids due to the positional requirements, however in situations where your raid is stacked it can provide significant healing.
Halo is a great raid healing tool when the positioning of your raid allows for it. You should aim to get in such a position that as many raid members as possible are in range before casting it. In dungeons, it provides good healing and damage, but you need to be much more aware of your positioning and surrounds to prevent damaging enemies you are not in combat with.
Tier 7 (Level 50) Talents for Holy Priests
|? Light of the Naaru||✔ Apotheosis||✔ Holy Word: Salvation|
- Light of the Naaru reduces the cooldowns of your holy words by an additional 33% when you cast the relevant spells.
- Apotheosis is an active ability with a 2-minute cooldown. Casting it immediately resets the cooldowns on Holy Word: Serenity, Holy Word: Sanctify and Holy Word: Chastise and for 20 seconds, the cooldown reduction to your Holy Words is increased by 300%, and the cost of your Holy Words is reduced by 100%.
- Holy Word: Salvation is a potent raid cooldown that heals everyone within 40 yards of you, as well as applying both Renew and 2 stacks of Prayer of Mending to each. While this ability does have a very long base cooldown of 12 minutes, each of your Holy Word: Serenity and Holy Word: Sanctify casts reduce its remaining cooldown by 30 seconds.
Light of the Naaru provides an easy to use and reliable increase to your healing allowing you to cast your powerful Holy Word spells more regularly for both dungeons and raids.
Apotheosis is a small cooldown that not only increases the frequency with which you can cast holy words, but also removes their Mana cost for the 20 second duration. This is a fantastic choice for dungeons and can be extremely potent while raiding when there is regular enough damage to make good use of the full 20 seconds.
Holy Word: Salvation is essentially an additional raid cooldown. It is best used when there is more incoming damage, being great at responding to raid-wide AoE. Although the base 12-minute cooldown appears quite long, you can generally get the cooldown to around 4-5 minutes with regular casting of both Holy Word: Serenity and Holy Word: Sanctify, as both spells decrease the cooldown of Holy Word: Salvation by 30 seconds each when cast.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated talent suggestions with some Legendary Power information.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Reviewed for Shadowlands release.
- 10 Nov. 2020: Revised talent suggestions.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips