How to Unlock Flying in Shadowlands (Patch 9.1)
In this guide, you will learn more about riding skill changes and how to unlock flying in Chains of Domination, the first major content patch of the Shadowlands expansion.
Will Flying Be Unlocked in Shadowlands?
Yes, players will be able to unlock flying in Shadowlands.
When can you fly in Shadowlands?
You will be able to unlock flying in Chains of Domination (Patch 9.1), which is the first major content patch of the expansion.
Will Shadowlands Have a Pathfinder?
Shadowlands will have just 1 Pathfinder achievement that will be account-wide, making flying available to alts at Level 50 and above.
How Do You Unlock Flying in Shadowlands?
You only need to complete the Covenant Campaign in Chains of Domination to unlock flying in the 4 Shadowlands zones. However, you will not be able to fly from one to the other, because they are not close to one another. Flying will not work in the The Maw.
Covenant-Themed Flying Mounts
Unlocking flying in Shadowlands rewards a Covenant-themed mount for your character.
Kyrian Covenant-Themed Mounts
Night Fae Mounts
Riding Skill Changes in Shadowlands
Due to the leveling revamp and the Shadowlands squish, Draenor and Legion Pathfinders are now purchasable directly from flying trainers. Riding Skills have been revisited, and changed as follows:
Apprentice Riding increases your ground speed by 60% and you will unlock this automatically upon reaching Level 10 with your character.
Journeyman Riding increases your ground speed by 100%. You can learn the skill at Level 20, and it will cost you 50 Gold.
Expert Riding teaches you how to ride flying mounts at a 150% speed. The skill is available to learn at Level 30 and costs 250 Gold. Druids no longer get free Expert Riding and must buy it for 250 Gold at level 30.
Draenor Pathfinder allows you to ride flying mounts in Draenor. You can learn the Riding Skill at Level 30 for 250 Gold.
Broken Isles Pathfinder
Broken Isles Pathfinder allows you to fly in the Broken Isles. The Riding Skill is available at Level 30 for 250 Gold.
Artisan Riding has been removed in Shadowlands.
The final Master Riding skill becomes available at Level 40 and costs 5,000 Gold. It allows you to ride at the highest possible speed on your flying mount.
All vendors associated with a faction provide discounts at all levels above Neutral and that includes Riding.
- 5% discount at Friendly;
- 10% discount at Honored;
- 15% discount at Revered;
- 20% discount at Exalted.
There are many flying trainers in the outdoor world, but for consistency, we assume you will be using one of the faction hubs to learn riding. Both are conveniently located near Flight Masters.
The Alliance Flying Trainer is Bralla Cloudwing you can find her in Stormwind at 70,74.
The Horde Flying Trainer is called Maztha. She can be found in Orgrimmar at 49, 59.
Draenor and Legion Pathfinder Changes
- 20 Feb. 2021: Updated with Covenant-themed mounts.
- 18 Feb. 2021: Patch 9.1 name updated.
- 02 Feb. 2021: Various improvements.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Updated with more details on Shadowlands Pathfinder.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added Shadowlands Pathfinder information.
- 26 Sep. 2020: Reviewed for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- 20 Jun. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34821. No updates required.
- 15 May 2020: Page reviewed for Alpha Build 34365.
- 10 May 2020: Swapped BfA for Legion Pathfinder.
- 02 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34199.
- 23 Apr. 2020: Draenor and Legion Pathfinder removed. Updated costs.
- 21 Apr. 2020: Page added.
- Shattered Helm of Domination Arrives to Collector
- Rogue Update in Patch 9.0.5
- Will Patch 9.0.5 Release on March 16?
- Undocumented Windwalker Monk Changes in Patch 9.0.5
- Castle Nathria Alliance Hall of Fame Complete, Cross-Realm Mythic Enabled Soon
- Night Fae Blood DK Finishes Keystone Master on Controller in PUGs
- World Boss for the Week of March 2nd - Mortanis
- EU Server Issues: No Servers Currently Available (March 2nd)