Protection Warrior Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Protection Warrior, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendary powers are extremely influential in some way or another for all the classes, and obtaining them should definitely be in your top priorities. While being powerful, they are not that easy to get and require some effort. To get a better understanding of how to actually obtain the legendaries, look into the guide below that thoroughly explains it.
Best Overall Legendary Powers as Protection Warrior
Legendary Powers are there to enhance our powers. Unfortunately, we only have a few that actually do that, with the rest lagging behind.
|Raiding||The Wall||Shoulder or Back||Raiding, Castle Nathria|
|Mythic+||Thunderlord||Feet or Hands||Mythic+, Spires of Ascension|
|Torghast||Thunderlord||Feet or Hands||Mythic+, Spires of Ascension|
Best Raiding Legendaries for Protection Warrior
As a tank in Raiding, you are mostly focusing on a single enemy in most encounters. As such, the best legendary for raids is The Wall. It will provide us with a lot of extra Rage while also reducing the cooldown of one of our best defensives. This gets exceptionally good when paired with talents that enhance our Shield Slam or Shield Wall, like Devastator and Anger Management. You can also run Stalwart Guardian, but this is not needed in most situations. All these together should make Shield Wall roughly a 1-1.5-minute cooldown, which is a huge reduction from the baseline 4 minute.
Using Shield Slam is already a top priority due to the damage and Rage it provides, but it gets even more important to use it on cooldown when running this legendary.
Best Mythic+ / Torghast Legendaries as Protection Warrior
For any constant AoE situation, which are common in Mythic+, you should be looking to run Thunderlord paired together with Booming Voice. Using these two together will provide you with a fairly short cooldown on Demoralizing Shout that in turn leads to a lot more Rage through Booming Voice. The extra uptime on the damage reduction is also really good and helps us be a lot tankier.
You can also use Anger Management and Unstoppable Force to enhance this legendary even further, but this is by no means necessary. Choosing these two talents means you would give up on Bolster and Ravager, which are both very powerful, especially in Mythic+ content.
Be sure to use Thunder Clap on cooldown to maximise the CDR provided by this legendary. If you do choose to run Unstoppable Force instead of Ravager, then remember that you can cast Thunder Clap roughly every other global cooldown during Avatar.
For Torghast, it is also worth mentioning Stable Phantasma Lure. It is a Legendary that increases your Phantasma earned. While you should be getting enough of it over the course of the floors, you might want to use it if you feel like you do not have enough once you get to the Vendor.
Other Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
These are the powers that might find some use in certain scenarios but in general are still lagging behind the best ones.
- Misshapen Mirror can be useful in some niche situations where you need either the extra damage reduction provided by Spell Reflection or there are multiple abilities to reflect.
- When using Unbreakable Will, you should think about Shield Wall as a group cooldown rather than your own personal defensive. This means that you will be playing with 1 fewer defensive abilities, hindering your survivability. This in general is not worth using, as the long cooldown of Shield Wall means you will only get a cast or two off in a typical encounter. It only provides the group with a 25% Damage Reduction instead of the full 50%, so it is just not worth it.
- Seismic Reverberation makes Revenge be the majority of your damage in any 3+ target scenario, when used correctly. Unfortunately, Revenge needs Rage to be cast and we only have a limited amount of it to begin with, making it less appealing. Shield Block and Ignore Pain are more important to keep up due to their defensive value, meaning we do not always have the Rage to cast Revenge. Cooldowns like Ravager and Spear of Bastion / Ancient Aftershock help fix the Rage issue for a short duration, during which you have enough Rage to also use Revenge more freely, dealing massive damage.
Lackluster Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
The following legendaries are severely behind the other ones mentioned above and should not be used for any serious content.
- Leaper could potentially be used for clearing old content, like Raids where you can not always mount up. Use it together with Bounding Stride to reduce the cooldown of Heroic Leap even more.
- Reprisal gives you free Ignore Pain and a harder-hitting Revenge every 30 seconds, which is just not worth taking over all the other options we have available.
- Signet of Tormented Kings makes you cast an extra offensive ability every time you use Avatar, which might sound promising, but the reduced effectiveness of these abilities makes it a really weak choice that should only be used for "fun". More importantly, you do not want to Bladestorm randomly when casting Avatar while tanking enemies.
- 22 Nov. 2020: Formatting changes and added alternative options for Raiding, Mythic+ and Torghast.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page created.
- How to Loot Faster in World of Warcraft
- How to Fool Bots With Toys
- Patch 9.1 Will Be Released in Spring 2021
- Even More Fantastical Settings Coming in Shadowlands, Endgame Loot and More: Ion Hazzikostas PC Gamer Article
- Tarragrue Glitches Out and Does No Damage
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 14th
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Item Level 184 Trinket World Quest Now Up in Bastion on US Servers