Protection Warrior Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Protection Warrior, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendary powers are extremely influential in some way or another for all the classes, and obtaining them should definitely be in your top priorities. While being powerful, they are not that easy to get and require some effort. To get a better understanding of how to actually obtain the legendaries, look into the guide below that thoroughly explains it.
Best Overall Legendary Powers as Protection Warrior
Legendary Powers are there to enhance our powers. Unfortunately, we only have a few that actually do that, with the rest lagging behind.
|Raiding||The Wall||Shoulder or Back||Raiding, Castle Nathria|
|Mythic+||Reprisal||Legs or Feet||Torghast The Upper Reaches, Layer 3+|
|Torghast||Reprisal||Legs or Feet||Mythic+, Spires of Ascension|
Reprisal and The Wall are our best legendaries, which are suitable in the majority of situations and should be crafted first. These two are also alternatives to each other in Raiding and Mythic+. All of the other legendaries are either weak or very situational.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Protection Warrior
As a tank in Raiding, you are mostly focusing on a single enemy in most encounters. As such, the best legendary for raids is The Wall. It will provide us with a lot of extra Rage while also reducing the cooldown of one of our best defensives. This gets exceptionally good when paired with talents that enhance our Shield Slam or Shield Wall, like Devastator and Anger Management. You can also run Stalwart Guardian, but this is not needed in most situations. All these together should make Shield Wall roughly a 1-1.5-minute cooldown, which is a huge reduction from the baseline 4 minute.
Using Shield Slam is already a top priority due to the damage and Rage it provides, but it gets even more important to use it on cooldown when running this legendary.
As an alternative, you can also use Reprisal in a raiding scenario if the fight allows for the usage of Charge and Intervene. This Legendary also provides more damage, as long as you can use Charge and Intervene often.
Signet of Tormented Kings is also worth noting as a more offensive option for Raiding. While the randomness of the ability that will be cast when using Avatar can be dissuading it is still worth a mention. It is only working with Avatar right now and not with Ravager.
Best Mythic+ / Torghast Legendaries as Protection Warrior
Reprisal should be the default Mythic+ option as it increases our Shield Block uptime by a significant amount. In addition, it also grants us a lot of quality-of-life improvements when charging into a new pack. Providing us Shield Block every time we Charge into a new pack takes care of the defensive part, but it also grants us a free Revenge and an additional 40 Rage. Having all of these benefits at the start of nearly every new pack is a huge deal. To get the maximum benefit out of this Legendary you should be looking to use Intervene as much as possible on one of the players in melee-range. To go even further you can also use Heroic Leap mid-combat and Charge back in right after, but this requires some thinking ahead so you do not end up reducing your group's overall damage. For more in-depth information on how to use Reprisal in Mythic+, take a look at the Mythic+ page.
The Wall is a solid alternative to Reprisal. It provides you with consistent extra Rage from Shield Slam and also lowers the cooldown of Shield Wall by a significant amount. Shield Wall also has the advantage of not having to be in range of your enemies in order to get the damage reduction from it.
For Torghast, it is also worth mentioning Stable Phantasma Lure. It is a Legendary that increases your Phantasma earned. While you should be getting enough of it over the course of the floors, you might want to use it if you feel like you do not have enough once you get to the Vendor.
Other Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
These are the powers that might find some use in certain scenarios but in general are still lagging behind the best ones.
- Thunderlord will provide a significant uptime increase for Demoralizing Shout. Its strength comes in AoE situations like Mythic+ where you can consistently hit 2+ enemies with Thunder Clap. Unfortunately, it becomes very lacklustre in single-target situations.
- Misshapen Mirror can be useful in some niche situations where you need either the extra damage reduction provided by Spell Reflection or there are multiple abilities to reflect.
- When using Unbreakable Will, you should think about Shield Wall as a group cooldown rather than your own personal defensive. This means that you will be playing with 1 fewer defensive abilities, hindering your survivability. This in general is not worth using, as the long cooldown of Shield Wall means you will only get a cast or two off in a typical encounter. It only provides the group with a 25% Damage Reduction instead of the full 50%, so it is just not worth it.
- Seismic Reverberation makes Revenge be the majority of your damage in any 3+ target scenario, when used correctly. Unfortunately, Revenge needs Rage to be cast and we only have a limited amount of it to begin with, making it less appealing. Shield Block and Ignore Pain are more important to keep up due to their defensive value, meaning we do not always have the Rage to cast Revenge. Cooldowns like Ravager and Spear of Bastion / Ancient Aftershock help fix the Rage issue for a short duration, during which you have enough Rage to also use Revenge more freely, dealing massive damage.
Lackluster Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
The following legendaries are severely behind the other ones mentioned above and should not be used for any serious content.
- Leaper could potentially be used for clearing old content, like Raids where you can not always mount up. Use it together with Bounding Stride to reduce the cooldown of Heroic Leap even more.
- Signet of Tormented Kings makes you cast an extra offensive ability every time you use Avatar, which might sound promising, but the reduced effectiveness of these abilities makes it a really weak choice that should only be used for "fun". More importantly, you do not want to Bladestorm randomly when casting Avatar while tanking enemies.
- 14 Apr. 2021: Added link to Mythic+ page for in-depth Reprisal usage.
- 17 Mar. 2021: Added information regarding Reprisal's playstyle.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Replaced Thunderlord with Reprisal as the default Mythic+ Legendary and updated descriptions.
- 25 Jan. 2021: Updated The Wall Legendary section in Mythic+ and added Signet of Tormented Kings as a Raiding option.
- 22 Nov. 2020: Formatting changes and added alternative options for Raiding, Mythic+ and Torghast.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page created.
- Big Fel Rush Momentum Fix on 9.1 PTR
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 18th
- 9.1 Necrotic Mostly Un-Nerfed but May Receive More Tuning Still
- Tyrande's New Model in Patch 9.1
- Patch 9.1 Release Candidate Now Available on the PTR
- Glory of the Dominant Raider Mount in Patch 9.1
- BCC Season 2 PvP Rings Now Being Removed From players
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 17th