Destruction Warlock DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
Throughout this page, we have given advice on which Azerite traits to choose while playing a Destruction Warlock in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.1.5. In order to unlock the traits listed, you will need to have a Heart of Azeroth. If you have not yet obtained it or are unsure of how it works, you can read our Heart of Azeroth guide to find out more.
1. General Azerite Gear Recommendation
There is one very important practice regarding Azerite Gear we recommend all players take note of. Never scrap, delete, destroy, or disenchant any Azerite Gear that is the same item level (or higher) than your currently equipped piece.
There are several good reasons for this:
- different traits excel in different environments;
- Blizzard is constantly rebalancing Azerite traits;
- certain traits are only effective when matched with appropriate talents.
Having a collection of different Azerite pieces greatly increases your character's flexibility to deal with different types of gameplay. Traits can be hugely influential in maximizing overall DPS, and therefore, this is a habit we recommend every player pick up.
2. Choosing Azerite Gear as an Destruction Warlock
For most Azerite Gear available, item level will be the main determining factor. Since Azerite gear currently cannot Warforge or Titanforge, there will always be a large discrepancy between different levels of Azerite gear, which make comparing pieces significantly less complex.
For the vast majority of Azerite comparisons, an Azerite piece that is at least +15 item levels higher than another piece will always be better, provided you are able to use at least the Outer Ring trait. In some circumstances, such as when the lower item level item has one of the best available traits, it may actually be worthwhile to take the item level loss for the favorable trait, however, such situations are rare. The only way top reliably determine which pieces are true upgrades past this basic eye test is to compare your items using a tool such as Raidbots.
At the current time, "Middle Ring" traits are much less influential than their "Outer Rings" counterparts. When considering Azerite pieces without the use of a simulation tool, it is best to simply compare the "Outer Ring" traits to determine the relative priority of gear.
3. Choosing Azerite Traits as an Destruction Warlock
Despite the rankings provided below for Azerite Traits, there is some thought that goes into Azerite beyond simply selecting the highest ranking traits. Certain traits perform exceptionally in specific environments, while others are effective regardless of the encounter.
3.1. Outer Rings
As with our sister specializations Affliction and Demonology, the Uldir empowered traits Archive of the Titans and Laser Matrix are particularly desirable and potent. This is due to their extremely flexible nature, in addition to the fact that they are continually empowered throughout Uldir.
Flashpoint is arguably the most important trait for the new raid Battle of Dazar'alor, where there are so many opportunities to take advantage of its bonus.
Crashing Chaos is a strong option for situations where 1-2 targets are present for the majority of active combat time. Crashing Chaos provides even more priority target/burst damage, which makes it great for any situation where an important add(s) need to be killed immediately. Its only downside is being tied to a 3minutes cooldown.
Blightborne Infusion is one of the top well rounded traits for Destruction, while having the benefit of being a generic one, allowing flexibility between Demonology and Destruction swap in particular.
Endless Hunger is a potentially strong pick, however is limited to Darkshore loot table, which means it will be relevant only around item level 370-385.
Rolling Havoc in a 2-target situation is the most desirable trait to have.
Treacherous Covenant is one of the new traits found inside the new raid Battle of Dazar'alor. It offers a powerful effect but only if you are above 50% health; in addition it has a noticeable downside of 15% extra damage taken if you fall below 20% health. Consider taking it only within raid environment, as is much more frequent/easier to drop below 50% health during Mythic+ dungeons.
3.2. Middle Ring
The Middle Ring traits are very analog, and you should therefore choose whatever ranks highest in the simulations provided on the page.
3.3. Inner Ring
As with most classes, Resounding Protection generally offers the best survivability and utility. This trait is exceptional and should be selected when available.
Longstrider can provide a noticeable movement speed increase, particularly if you have multiple traits. This is especially useful for encounters that require quick footwork, kiting, or some sort of "dance" mechanic.
Impassive Visage provides extra healing, and can trigger very often. This trait works best on fights where there is constant raid damage, allowing you to get maximum returns on the short cooldown of the trait.
4. Azerite Simulation Rankings for Destruction Warlock
4.1. Single Target
4.1.1. Outer Ring
4.1.2. Middle Ring
4.2.1. Outer Ring
4.2.2. Middle Ring
5. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Destruction Warlock
Some of your Azerite Traits in Battle For Azeroth can have a small effect on your rotation. They generally do not change the fundamentals, but they allow you to use their effects to squeeze just a little bit more damage out than your competition.
- Flashpoint can be a potent trait when there are plenty of new targets, allowing you to constantly take advantage of the Haste buff.
- Always aim to maximize number of globals during Havoc if you are using Rolling Havoc, as the Intellect buff can be quite powerful on high stacks.
6. Azerite Traits
6.1. Generic Outer Ring Traits
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Retaliatory Fury gives your abilities a chance to give you a Mastery buff and a shield for 10 seconds.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Ancients' Bulwark grants you Versatility while you are not moving, and heals you over time while you are moving. This trait is exclusive to Alliance players and has no Horde equivalent.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
Note that when using at least 1 Uldir trait inside Uldir, Reorigination Array grants you a buff that increases your highest secondary stat every 5 seconds, stacking up to 10. This power increases over time, in order to make Uldir raiding easier.
6.2. Destruction Warlock Specific Outer Ring Traits
Here is a list of the Destruction-specific Azerite traits:
- Chaos Shards increases your Incinerate damage and gives you a 4% change to receive two Soul Shards instead of just one.
- Bursting Flare increases your Mastery for 20 seconds (stacking up to 5 times) when you cast Conflagrate on a target afflicted by your Immolate.
- Chaotic Inferno increases the damage of Chaos Bolt and grants it a 25% chance to make Incinerate instant.
- Flashpoint increases your Haste for 8 seconds when your Immolate ticks on a target with more than 80% health.
- Rolling Havoc grants Intellect for 10 seconds each time your Havoc duplicates a spell (stacking).
- Crashing Chaos causes Summon Infernal to increase the damage of your next 8 Chaos Bolts.
7. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Destruction Warlock. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for Battle of Daz'Alor release.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1. Added Chaos Shards.
- 09 Nov. 2018: Updated trait recommendation.
- 30 Sep. 2018: Fully updated page, including several new sections and simulations.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated Azerite rankings. New sims added, with Raidbots links.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Item Level Cap Staying at 425 for Crucible of Storms
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: March 26th
- This Week in WoW: March 26th
- Hide All Slots Except Pants Option Coming in Patch 8.2
- Loot Trading in Classic WoW
- Draught of Ten Lands Exploit Ban Wave: March 22nd
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: March 21st
- Live Developer Q&A Roundup: March 21st
- Help with Outlaw
- Holy - Infusion of Light Question
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.1
- Frost Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Prismatic Socket
- Brawler's Guild - Sanoriak
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Arms Warrior PvP 8.1