Destruction Warlock Patch 9.2 Changes Analysis and Tier Set Thoughts
On this page, we tell you how the Patch 9.2 changes for Destruction Warlock affect the spec and what the current state of theorycrafting is.
Destruction Warlock in Patch 9.2: Eternity's End
This page will go over how the changes currently on the Patch 9.2 will affect Destruction Warlocks, specifically how the changes impact the playstyle, best Legendaries, Covenants, etc. If you are simply interested in what the current changes are for Destruction Warlock on the 9.2 PTR, you can instead read our full list of changes to the entire Warlock class on our dedicated page below. For an additional list of content coming in Patch 9.2, you can also check out our Patch 9.2 Overview page.
Base Spec Changes for Patch 9.2
Summon Succubus has received a new Incubus model option and a rework to her 2 abilities:
- Seduction causes the target to slowly walk towards the demon and has a chance of break on damage taken.
- Whiplash puts a debuff on target that increase the damage taken from Succubus by 1%, stacking 10 times.
Succubus changes have a deeper ramifications in the PvE settings: having a 10% damage increase over other baseline pets (albeit with a ramp up of 60 seconds) makes Succubus the default option for boss damage (breaking the previous normalized damage across pet rule), unless a Felhunter interrupt or a Imp dispel is required. Succubus will still be worse than Imp in situations where target swapping is frequent, especially between distant targets, and will also lose in pure AoE situations vs VoidWalker.
Best Talents in Patch 9.2 for Destruction Warlock
The Tier Set for Destruction has arguably the biggest impact in regards to talent changes among all Warlock specs. Eradication, Rain of Chaos, and Soul Conduit become the best options in their respective rows, due to the increased Shard flow generated by the Destruction Warlock 4-Piece bonus and the subsequent emphasis on Chaos Bolt casts.
Destruction Warlock Tier Set in Patch 9.2
Equipping at least 2 and 4 pieces of the set will unlock new passive effects which are the following for Destruction Warlock:
- Destruction Warlock 2-Piece — Every 10 Soul Shards spent makes your next Chaos Bolt or Rain of Fire free to cast.
- Destruction Warlock 4-Piece — When Rain of Fire or Chaos Bolt is freely cast, you summon a Blasphemy for 8 sec.
While the Destruction Warlock 2-Piece seems pretty average in value, slightly favoring AoE situations and stronger Havoc windows, the Destruction Warlock 4-Piece has interaction with Rain of Chaos and Infernal Brand, which can potentially lead to some changes in both talents and Potency Conduit choices.
Best Legendary in Patch 9.2 for Destruction Warlock
Patch 9.2 will feature the ability to equip a Covenant Legendary simultaneously with another non-Covenant-specific one. While sounding great on paper, in reality it will not necessarily influence the Legendary of choice and instead will simply increase the borrowed power.
Best Covenant in Patch 9.2 for Destruction Warlock
Necrolord with Plague Deviser Marileth offers very competitive damage in single- and 2-target cleave, but Night Fae remains the most versatile choice when playing multiple specializations. Necrolords offer great overlap between Demonology and Destruction.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Updated to reflect Patch 9.2 launch.
- 15 Jan. 2022: Page added with initial thoughts and information.
- Malaysian Hospital Showing Mists of Pandaria Trailer on Repeat
- The Burning Crusade Classic Character Clone Service Retiring Soon
- Patch 9.2 and Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 13th
- Warcraft II Inside World of Warcraft (Arcade Tab Fan Concept)
- Shadowlands Season 4 Keystone Master Mount Color Changed on the 9.2.5 PTR
- Social Contract Now Available on the 9.2.5 PTR
- World First Classic Sunwell Plateau Kill Claimed by Old School
- Blood Elf and Dark Iron Dwarf Weapons No Longer Race Locked on the 9.2.5 PTR