Restoration Shaman Healing Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor in Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.0.1
Table of Contents
- +Easy Mode
- 1. Foreword
- 2. The Basics for Restoration Shaman
- 3. Talent Choice for Restoration Shaman
- 4. Stat Choice for Restoration Shaman
- 5. Basic Priority List for Restoration Shaman
- 6. Healing Cooldowns for Restoration Shaman
- 7. Azerite Traits for Restoration Shaman
- 8. Changelog
- +Spell Summary
- 1. Restoration Shaman Spell Summary
- 2. Main Resource for Restoration Shaman
- 3. Healing Spells for Restoration Shaman
- 4. Healing Cooldowns for Restoration Shaman
- 5. Utility Spells for Restoration Shaman
- 6. Other relevant mechanics for Restoration Shaman
- 7. DPS Spells for Restoration Shaman
- 8. Changelog
- +Builds and Talents
- 1. Talent Choices for Restoration Shaman
- 2. Talent Cheat Sheets for Restoration Shaman
- 3. Level 15 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 4. Level 30 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 5. Level 45 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 6. Level 60 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 7. Level 75 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 8. Level 90 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 9. Level 100 Talents for Restoration Shaman
- 10. PvP Talents (War Mode)
- 11. Changelog
- ×Azerite Traits and Armor
- 1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Restoration Shaman
- 2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Restoration Shaman
- 2.1. Outer Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
- 2.2. Middle Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
- 2.3. Inner Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
- 3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Restoration Shaman
- 4. Azerite Trait Spreadsheet
- 5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
- 6. Changelog
- +Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities
- 1. Rotation / Playstyle for Restoration Shamans
- 2. Cooldown Usage for Restoration Shamans
- 3. Utility Usage for Restoration Shamans
- 4. Optional Read: Mastering Your Restoration Shaman
- 5. Changelog
- +Mythic+ Tips
- +Common and Worst Mistakes
- +Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Battle for Azeroth Restoration Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.1. What Changed for Restoration Shaman in BfA?
- 1.2. What Stats Are Good for Restoration Shaman in BfA?
- 1.3. Are Restoration Shamans Good For Mythic+?
- 1.4. Are Restoration Shamans Good For Raids?
- 1.5. How Does Earth Shield Interact with Chain Heal?
- 1.6. Does Chain Heal Require High Tide to be Used?
- 2. Changelog
- 1. Battle for Azeroth Restoration Frequently Asked Questions
- +Boss by Boss Strategies
- +Stat Priority
- +Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
- +Macros and Addons
- 1. Restoration Macros
- 2. Addons for Restoration Shaman
- 2.1. ElvUI
- 2.2. Weak Auras
- 2.3. Boss Mods
- 2.4. Name Plates
- 2.5. Damage Meters
- 2.6. Extra AddOns
- 2.7. Alternative Raid Frames
- 2.8. Raid / External Cooldown Tracking
- +Gear and Best in Slot
Here you will find the top performing choices for Azerite traits in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.0.1, when playing a Restoration Shaman. If you have not done so already, you will need to obtain your Heart of Azeroth before being able to use the traits. You can find out more in our Heart of Azeroth guide.
About Our Author
This guide has been written by Seksi, member of two top 60 guilds, Group Therapy (shaman) and Wiping as Intended (priest). While you can routinely find him participating in discussions across all healer discords, he is particularly active on Ancestral Guidance, Earthshrine and Focused Will.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Restoration Shaman
Usually, your best Azerite item is the one with highest item level. This is due to the higher stats on the item, and because equal traits become more powerful on higher item level gear. Considering different traits when choosing gear only matters if they are Outer Ring traits, as these generally have the biggest impact on your character's power.
In general, if an item is a 10+ item level upgrade over another, you should use it. Otherwise, you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. If the higher level item has one of the worst traits, and the lower level item has one of the best, you might even wait until 15 item levels before replacing it.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Restoration Shaman
Below we will rank the traits for a raid setting by a tier system. Be aware that healing-specific traits in particular are difficult to simulate and will rely on testing and log analysis when raid content is released, to help get a definitive value for some of the more complicated and situational traits. Therefore, this page is based on some amount of assumptions, and we will continue to refine it through play-testing and theorycrafting as time goes by.
The ranking system is as follows.
- S Tier: the strongest and most generally useful traits; these are always good choices.
- A Tier: these traits are either slightly weaker than the S Tier traits, or only as strong in specific situations, but are still solid choices.
- B Tier: a below-average trait that should be picked only in the absence of an S or A Tier trait.
- C Tier: a weak trait that provides very little healing output or other utility and should be avoided if possible.
The damage-dealing traits assume you are keeping Flame Shock on at least one target at all times and we take into account the (minor) damage gains when ranking the traits.
2.1. Outer Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.1.1. S Tier
- Swelling Stream causes Healing Stream Totem (or Cloudburst Totem, if talented) to periodically release lesser chain heals that restore a small amount of health to up to 3 allies.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Spouting Spirits causes Spirit Link Totem to heal all allies inside its radius for a moderate amount 1 second after it is placed.
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
2.1.2. A Tier
- Overflowing Shores causes Healing Rain to be 10% larger and heal targets in its area instantly for a small amount.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Ancestral Resonance causes your Bloodlust / Heroism to give you a Mastery buff every second that stacks up to 20.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
2.1.3. B Tier
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Surging Tides causes Riptide to create an absorb shield for 8 seconds when it is cast on an ally under 50% health.
- Soothing Waters causes Chain Heal to heal its first target for a small extra amount.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
2.1.4. C Tier
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Ebb and Flow causes Healing Tide Totem to heal allies who are closer to it for a small extra amount.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Synapse Shock causes Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning to increase your Intellect for 15 seconds. Each target hit grants a stack of the buff, up to a maximum of 5 stacks.
Note that when using at least 1 Uldir trait inside the Uldir raid, Reorigination Array grants you a buff that increases your highest secondary stat every 5 seconds, stacking up to 10. This power increases over time, in order to make Uldir raiding easier.
2.2. Middle Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.2.1. S Tier
- Blessed Portents grants your healing spells a chance to apply Blessed Portents to the target for 20 seconds. When the target falls below 35% health, Blessed Portents is consumed and heals them.
- Concentrated Mending causes your healing effects to have a chance to grant the target a HoT that heals every 2 seconds for 12 seconds. The amount healed doubles every 2 seconds.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
2.2.2. A Tier
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Bracing Chill causes your heals to have a chance to apply Bracing Chill to the target. Healing a target with Bracing Chill will heal for an additional amount and move Bracing Chill to a nearby ally, up to 6 times.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
2.2.3. B Tier
- Ephemeral Recovery causes your healing spells to grant you up to two stacks of an insignificant amount of Mana regeneration.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Woundbinder causes your healing effects to have a chance to increase your Haste for 12 seconds. Healing lower health targets will grant more Haste.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
2.2.4. C Tier
- Synergistic Growth causes Chain Heal casts to grant you Mastery for 10 seconds, on a 30-second cooldown.
- Savior makes your heals on targets below 35% health have a chance to heal for an additional amount.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
2.3. Inner Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.3.1. S Tier
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
2.3.2. A Tier
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340 .
- Pack Spirit heals you while in Ghost Wolf form.
2.3.3. B Tier
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 20 yards of you.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
2.3.4. C Tier
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Serene Spirit heals you when you cast Astral Shift, and again when its duration ends.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Restoration Shaman
Some of your Azerite Traits can have big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear and even affect talent choices. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
3.1. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes
All the traits that require you to deal damage in order to be activated require you to interweave your damage spells with healing in order to make the most out of them. This includes Synapse Shock, Overwhelming Power, Elemental Whirl and Unstable Flames and if you are using one or more of them you should try to use damage spells between heals as much as possible.
Something else to keep in mind is that some traits affect spells that you do not always focus on casting, such as Soothing Waters. For these traits to be useful, you will need to adjust your talents / rotation so that you are maximizing your casts of the affected spell in order to get the most out of the trait, but keep in mind this might not be optimal for your healing, overall.
4. Azerite Trait Spreadsheet
Our friends at the Ancestral Guidance Discord have made a spreadsheet which can calculate the value of each Azerite Trait based on a specific combat log. Feel free to copy / use it for yourself if you want to know exactly how much a particular trait (or potential alternatives) is worth for you in a given encounter.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Restoration Shaman. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.