Restoration Shaman Healing Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
Here you will find the top performing choices for Azerite traits in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.1, when playing a Restoration Shaman. If you have not done so already, you will need to obtain your Heart of Azeroth before being able to use the traits. You can find out more in our Heart of Azeroth guide.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Restoration Shaman
Usually, your best Azerite item is the one with highest item level. This is due to the higher stats on the item, and because equal traits become more powerful on higher item level gear. Considering different traits when choosing gear only matters if they are Outer Ring traits, as these generally have the biggest impact on your character's power.
In general, if an item is a 10+ item level upgrade over another, you should use it. Otherwise, you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. If the higher level item has one of the worst traits, and the lower level item has one of the best, you might even wait until 15 item levels before replacing it.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Restoration Shaman
Below we will rank the traits for a raid setting by a tier system. Be aware that healing-specific traits in particular are difficult to simulate and will rely on testing and log analysis when raid content is released, to help get a definitive value for some of the more complicated and situational traits. Therefore, this page is based on some amount of assumptions, and we will continue to refine it through play-testing and theorycrafting as time goes by.
The ranking system is as follows.
- S Tier: the strongest and most generally useful traits; these are always good choices.
- A Tier: these traits are either slightly weaker than the S Tier traits, or only as strong in specific situations, but are still solid choices.
- B Tier: a below-average trait that should be picked only in the absence of an S or A Tier trait.
- C Tier: a weak trait that provides very little healing output or other utility and should be avoided if possible.
The damage-dealing traits assume you are keeping Flame Shock on at least one target at all times and we take into account the (minor) damage gains when ranking the traits.
2.1. Outer Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.1.1. S Tier
- Endless Hunger increases your Versatility and heals you significantly when you move near killed enemies (only once per enemy).
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Turn of the Tide increases both of your Tidal Waves bonuses by 5% (only once, even if you have multiple copies of this trait equipped) and increases the healing they do while Tidal Waves are active.
- Overflowing Shores increases Healing Rain's radius to 12 yards (the radius does not further improve with extra traits beyond the first) and, when cast, it heal targets in its area instantly for a small amount.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
2.1.2. A Tier
- Ancients' Bulwark increases your Versatility when you are standing still and heals you for a small amount while moving.
- Spouting Spirits increases Spirit Link Totem's radius by 15% (the radius does not further improve with extra traits beyond the first) and causes it to heal all allies inside its radius for a moderate amount, 1 second after it is placed.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Swelling Stream causes Healing Stream Totem (or Cloudburst Totem, if talented) to periodically release lesser chain heals that restore a small amount of health to up to 3 allies.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
2.1.3. B Tier
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Apothecary's Concoctions causes your damage / healing abilities to have a chance to place a damage / healing over time effect on their target.
- Ancestral Resonance causes Bloodlust-like effects to last 50 seconds on you (duration doesn't increase further, even if you have multiple copies of this trait equipped) and grants you a chance (greatly increased during Bloodlust) to gain a Mastery buff when you use abilities and spells.
- Any Turn of the Tide traits beyond the first.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Surging Tides causes Riptide to create an absorb shield for 8 seconds when it is cast on an ally under 50% health.
- Soothing Waters causes Chain Heal to heal its first target for a small extra amount.
2.1.4. C Tier
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Shadow of Elune causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. During WoW's night period you also gain 10% movement speed.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Any Ancestral Resonance traits beyond the first.
- Synapse Shock causes Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning to increase your Intellect for 15 seconds. Each target hit grants a stack of the buff, up to a maximum of 5 stacks.
Note that when using at least 1 Uldir trait inside the Uldir raid, Reorigination Array grants you a buff that increases your highest secondary stat every 5 seconds, stacking up to 10. This power increases over time, in order to make Uldir raiding easier.
2.2. Middle Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.2.1. S Tier
- Concentrated Mending causes your healing effects to have a chance to grant the target a HoT that heals every 2 seconds for 12 seconds. The amount healed doubles every 2 seconds.
- Blessed Portents grants your healing spells a chance to apply Blessed Portents to the target for 20 seconds. When the target falls below 35% health, Blessed Portents is consumed and heals them.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
2.2.2. A Tier
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
- Synergistic Growth causes Chain Heal casts to grant you Mastery for 10 seconds, on a 30-second cooldown.
2.2.3. B Tier
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Woundbinder causes your healing effects to have a chance to increase your Haste for 12 seconds. Healing lower health targets will grant more Haste.
- Bracing Chill causes your heals to have a chance to apply Bracing Chill to the target. Healing a target with Bracing Chill will heal for an additional amount and move Bracing Chill to a nearby ally, up to 6 times.
2.2.4. C Tier
- Ephemeral Recovery gives you a significant amount of Mana back whenever you go below 20% Mana. Can only happen once every 3 minutes.
- Savior makes your heals on targets below 35% health have a chance to heal for an additional amount.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
2.3. Inner Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.3.1. S Tier
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
2.3.2. A Tier
- Pack Spirit heals you while in Ghost Wolf form.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
2.3.3. B Tier
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Ancient Ankh Talisman increases your maximum health slightly while Reincarnation is not on cooldown and causes it to go through its cooldown 50% faster while you are at maximum health.
2.3.4. C Tier
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Serene Spirit heals you when you cast Astral Shift, and again when its duration ends.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Restoration Shaman
Some of your Azerite Traits can have big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear and even affect talent choices. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
3.1. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes
All the traits that require you to deal damage in order to be activated require you to interweave your damage spells with healing in order to make the most out of them. This includes Synapse Shock, Overwhelming Power, Elemental Whirl and Unstable Flames and if you are using one or more of them you should try to use damage spells between heals as much as possible.
Something else to keep in mind is that some traits affect spells that you do not always focus on casting, such as Soothing Waters. For these traits to be useful, you will need to adjust your talents / rotation so that you are maximizing your casts of the affected spell in order to get the most out of the trait, but keep in mind this might not be optimal for your healing, overall.
4. Azerite Trait Spreadsheet
Our friends at the Ancestral Guidance Discord have made a spreadsheet which can calculate the value of each Azerite Trait based on a specific combat log. Feel free to copy / use it for yourself if you want to know exactly how much a particular trait (or potential alternatives) is worth for you in a given encounter.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Restoration Shaman. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 22 Dec. 2018: Added and ranked the new PvP traits.
- 14 Dec. 2018: Updated rankings and clarified the way Spouting Spirits and Overflowing Shores work in 8.1.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes: new traits added and trait rankings adjusted.
- 22 Oct. 2018: Updated ranks and added information on the new Restoration Shaman spreadsheet.
- 27 Sep. 2018: Updated ranks to reflect hotfixed changes and added choosing gear section.
- 12 Sep. 2018: Updated ranks to reflect new theorycrafting information.
- 05 Sep. 2018: Small changes to rankings and typo correction.
- 03 Sep. 2018: Introduced ranking buckets.
- 28 Aug. 2018: Updated ranks to reflect new theorycrafting information.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated ranks to reflect new theorycrafting information.
- 10 Aug. 2018: Added final missing traits and descriptions and updated ranks to reflect recent hotfixes.
- 09 Aug. 2018: Some PvP missing traits added, updated rank based on new theorycrafting information.
- 06 Aug. 2018: Corrected a few typos and added a few missing traits.
- 04 Aug. 2018: Vastly expanded the amount of traits listed and categorized them according to their power in the current Beta build.
- 28 Jul. 2018: Added Azerite page.
- WoW Esports in 2019
- PvP Season 1: Arena and RBG Title Cutoffs
- Tides of Vengeance Part II: Survival Guide
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Class Changes
- BfA PvP Season 2 Preview [Official]
- Tools of the Trade in Patch 8.1.5
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Any Demon Hunter Discords out there?
- Feral Druid 8.1
- Warrior Leveling Guide
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Guardian Druid 8.1
- Need help with BoS
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1