Restoration Shaman Healing Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
Here you will find the top performing choices for Azerite traits in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.2, when playing a Restoration Shaman. If you have not done so already, you will need to obtain your Heart of Azeroth before being able to use the traits. You can find out more in our Heart of Azeroth guide.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Restoration Shaman
Usually, your best Azerite item is the one with highest item level. This is due to the higher stats on the item, and because equal traits become more powerful on higher item level gear. Considering different traits when choosing gear only matters if they are Outer Ring traits, as these generally have the biggest impact on your character's power.
In general, if an item is a 10+ item level upgrade over another, you should use it. Otherwise, you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. If the higher level item has one of the worst traits, and the lower level item has one of the best, you might even wait until 15 item levels before replacing it.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Restoration Shaman
Below we will rank the traits for a raid setting by a tier system. Be aware that healing-specific traits in particular are difficult to simulate and will rely on testing and log analysis when raid content is released, to help get a definitive value for some of the more complicated and situational traits. Therefore, this page is based on some amount of assumptions, and we will continue to refine it through play-testing and theorycrafting as time goes by.
The ranking system is as follows.
- S Tier: the strongest and most generally useful traits; these are always good choices.
- A Tier: these traits are either slightly weaker than the S Tier traits, or only as strong in specific situations, but are still solid choices.
- B Tier: a below-average trait that should be picked only in the absence of an S or A Tier trait.
- C Tier: a weak trait that provides very little healing output or other utility and should be avoided if possible.
2.1. Outer Ring Traits
2.1.1. S Tier
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Endless Hunger increases your Versatility and heals you significantly when you move near killed enemies (only once per enemy).
- Person-Computer Interface increases a secondary stat if you have a Pocket-Sized Computation Device equipped. The secondary that is chosen depends on which Logic Board you have equipped.
- Loyal to the End increases your Mastery, plus additional Mastery for every nearby ally who also has the trait selected. When you die, your allies gain Critical Strike, Haste, and Versatility equal to their own Mastery bonus.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Clockwork Heart grants you all secondary stats for 12 seconds, once per minute.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Overflowing Shores increases Healing Rain's radius to 12 yards (the radius does not further improve with extra traits beyond the first) and, when cast, it heal targets in its area instantly for a small amount.
- Spouting Spirits increases Spirit Link Totem's radius by 15% (the radius does not further improve with extra traits beyond the first) and causes it to heal all allies inside its radius for a moderate amount, 1 second after it is placed.
2.1.2. A Tier
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Seductive Power causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to conjure Bwonsamdi. If you approach him, you gain a small increase to all stats for 5 minutes, stacking up to 5 times. If you fail to heed his call, you lose one stack.
- Turn of the Tide increases both of your Tidal Waves bonuses by 5% (only once, even if you have multiple copies of this trait equipped) and increases the healing they do while Tidal Waves are active. This trait is especially powerful in dungeons.
- Ancients' Bulwark increases your Versatility when you are standing still and heals you for a small amount while moving.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
2.1.3. B Tier
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Arcane Heart causes every 1,500,000 combined damage and healing you deal to increase your highest secondary stat, and heal for 5% of all Arcane damage you take for 15 seconds.
- Apothecary's Concoctions causes your damage / healing abilities to have a chance to place a damage / healing over time effect on their target.
- Ancestral Resonance causes Bloodlust-like effects to last 50 seconds on you (duration doesn't increase further, even if you have multiple copies of this trait equipped) and grants you a chance (greatly increased during Bloodlust) to gain a Mastery buff when you use abilities and spells.
- Any Turn of the Tide traits beyond the first.
- Swelling Stream causes Healing Stream Totem (or Cloudburst Totem, if talented) to periodically release lesser chain heals that restore a small amount of health to up to 3 allies.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Soothing Waters causes Chain Heal to heal its first target for a small extra amount.
- Undulating Tides grants your spells and abilites a chance to deal Frost damage. Additionally, when you fall below 50% health, you gain an absorb for 8 seconds.
2.1.4. C Tier
- Surging Tides causes Riptide to create an absorb shield for 8 seconds when it is cast on an ally under 50% health.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Shadow of Elune causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. During WoW's night period you also gain 10% movement speed.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Any Ancestral Resonance traits beyond the first.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
Note: The Eternal Palace trait Loyal to the End is only ranked as an S Tier trait if you have at least 3 or 4 other players in your raid with it. This is likely to happen, as the trait is great for a lot of classes.
2.2. Middle Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.2.1. S Tier
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Synergistic Growth causes Chain Heal casts to grant you Mastery for 10 seconds, on a 30-second cooldown.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
2.2.2. A Tier
- Concentrated Mending causes your healing effects to have a chance to grant the target a HoT that heals every 2 seconds for 12 seconds. The amount healed doubles every 2 seconds.
- Woundbinder causes your healing effects to have a chance to increase your Haste for 12 seconds. Healing lower health targets will grant more Haste.
- Blessed Portents grants your healing spells a chance to apply Blessed Portents to the target for 20 seconds. When the target falls below 50% health, Blessed Portents is consumed and heals them.
2.2.3. B Tier
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Bracing Chill causes your heals to have a chance to apply Bracing Chill to the target. Healing a target with Bracing Chill will heal for an additional amount and move Bracing Chill to a nearby ally, up to 6 times.
2.2.4. C Tier
- Ephemeral Recovery gives you a significant amount of Mana back whenever you go below 20% Mana. Can only happen once every 3 minutes.
- Savior makes your heals on targets below 50% health have a chance to heal for an additional amount.
2.3. Inner Ring Rankings for Restoration Shaman
2.3.1. S Tier
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
2.3.2. A Tier
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Pack Spirit heals you while in Ghost Wolf form.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
2.3.3. B Tier
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Ancient Ankh Talisman increases your maximum health slightly while Reincarnation is not on cooldown and causes it to go through its cooldown 50% faster while you are at maximum health.
2.3.4. C Tier
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Serene Spirit heals you when you cast Astral Shift, and again when its duration ends.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
2.4. DPS Trait Rankings for Restoration Shaman (ordered from best to worst)
- Igneous Potential increases your DPS immensely, while not costing much in terms of global cooldowns. The damage portion of the trait stacks and you should aim to have as many of these as possible when heavily DPSing.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Natural Harmony grants some secondary stats when you deal fire, frost or nature damage.
- Synapse Shock makes your Lightning Bolts and Chain Lightnings increase your intellect every time they hit a target, lasting for 15 sec and stacking up to 5 times.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Restoration Shaman
Some of your Azerite Traits can have big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear and even affect talent choices. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
3.1. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes
If you use any traits that require you to deal damage in order to be useful, such as Igneous Potential, you should interweave your damage spells with healing in order to make the most out of them.
Something else to keep in mind is that some traits affect spells that you do not always focus on casting, such as Soothing Waters. For these traits to be useful, you will need to adjust your talents / rotation so that you are maximizing your casts of the affected spell in order to get the most out of the trait, but keep in mind this might not be optimal for your healing, overall.
4. Azerite Trait Spreadsheet
Our friends at the Ancestral Guidance Discord have made a spreadsheet which can calculate the value of each Azerite Trait based on a specific combat log. Feel free to copy / use it for yourself if you want to know exactly how much a particular trait (or potential alternatives) is worth for you in a given encounter.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Restoration Shaman. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|