Subtlety Rogue DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
The best Azerite traits for a Subtlety Rogue in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.2.5, have been listed below. If you have not obtained the Heart of Azeroth yet, we recommend reading our Heart of Azeroth guide to do so. Without it, you will not be able to unlock any traits.
Choosing Azerite Gear as a Subtlety Rogue
Your choice of Azerite Gear pieces will almost always come down to the item level first, and the traits that it has second. Note that the traits you will look at when choosing gear are the Outer Ring traits, as these are the ones with the biggest impact on your gameplay.
The general rule is that if an item is a 15+ item level upgrade over another item, you should use it. If the difference between the two items is less than 15 item levels, then you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. As we said, though, this is a general rule and there are exceptions; for example, if you are comparing an extremely bad trait ( Meticulous Scheming) to an extremely good one ( Inevitability). It is nearly impossible to take every single variable into account without using a tool like Raidbots to simulate the difference for yourself.
It is worth noting that if the difference between the traits is very small, then the higher item level pick will be more desirable. Azerite pieces have a high amount of Stamina, increasing your maximum health. A tiny difference in that regard can be the difference between dying and surviving, so item level is almost always king.
Choosing Azerite Traits as a Subtlety Rogue
In the sections that follow, we will look at the best traits to choose. The traits are not listed in order of strength since they are very close to each other. This list is more of a guideline on what traits are good for both single-target and multi-target situations.
The Outer Ring traits are the first ones you unlock, and they are by far the most important from a DPS perspective. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
The First Dance is by far the best trait for Subtlety Rogues, having at least one is a massive DPS increase.
Inevitability is a solid trait for Subtlety in single-target situations, however in multi-target scenarios when you are casting Shuriken Storm instead, the trait has zero value. It is important to note that the secondary effect of the trait, which increases the duration of your Symbols of Death, does not multiply with the number of traits. If possible, aim to only have maximum one Inevitability trait due to the diminishing returns on this trait.
Undulating Tides is a very good trait, assuming you are not falling below 50% health often. Every time you fall below that threshold, the damage component of the trait can not proc for another 45 seconds, which makes the trait fairly situational.
Night's Vengeance gives you a buff for 8 seconds after casting Nightblade, which increases the damage done of your next Eviscerate. This trait is also a very solid choice and it scales well with AoE and cleave situations.
Blade In The Shadows increases the damage of your Shadowstrikes while also reducing its Energy cost. The trait is a good choice for single-target. However, like Inevitability, it has no benefit in multi-target situations.
Treacherous Covenant is a primary stat increase trait from Battle of Dazar'alor that gives massive amount of Agility, however you take 15% increased damage while below 20% Health.
The Middle Ring traits are all fairly close, and they will rarely affect your choice of Azerite Gear. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
Overwhelming Power has the highest DPS potential of the traits in this ring, but it will lose efficiency whenever you take damage, which can be very often in some raid encounters.
Heed My Call is almost as good as Overwhelming Power, but it does not have the caveat of losing efficiency when you take damage. It also outperforms Overwhelming Power on AoE, so it is a better default option.
Gutripper is close to the top two traits which means that on bosses where execute is important, this trait gains a lot of value.
The Inner Ring consists mostly of defensive or utility traits.
Longstrider is arguably the best "DPS" option in this tier. By increasing your movement speed, it allows you to close gaps and dodge things slightly faster.
Footpad gives your allies within 8 yards 392 Speed when Sprint is active. This trait provides a small raid DPS boost, similar to Longstrider as it allows you and your group members to close gaps and dodge things slightly faster.
Resounding Protection is an absorb shield that automatically gets applied every 30 seconds. This is one of the best defensive traits to have, as you will always be able to benefit from it.
Azerite Trait Rotation Changes and Details for Subtlety Rogue
Some of your Azerite Traits in Battle For Azeroth can have a small effect on your rotation. They generally do not change the fundamentals, but they allow you to use their effects to squeeze just a little bit more damage out than your competition.
- Night's Vengeance gives you a buff for 8 seconds after casting Nightblade, which increases the damage done of your next Eviscerate. Due to the short duration of the buff, you want to make sure you are close to Energy cap when refreshing Nightblade, so you do not miss the 8-second window to cast an Eviscerate. In AoE situations, make sure to alter between Nightblade and Eviscerate to get maximum benefit from the trait.
- Perforate causes your Backstab to give you a buff which increases the damage done of your next Backstabs for 12 seconds, stacking up to 3 times. Keeping this buff up is not going to require too much attention, but aim to refresh it before you enter Shadow Dance. Do not worry about it too much, because it is a very marginal gain.
- The First Dance alters your Shadow Dance rotation slightly due to the Combo Points it gives upon activating Shadow Dance. You will often end up with 5+ Combo Points after your first Shadowstrike, which means that you should use a finisher instead.
Relative Strength of Azerite Traits for Subtlety Rogue
Below we have listed the relative strength of the most relevant Azerite Traits, as far as they are implemented in our simulation tools at the moment.
Because you can have the same trait multiple times, and because some traits can change the rotation if you stack it multiple times, we have listed the relative strength of the traits depending on how many of them you have.
We are not including different item levels of Azerite pieces, because in most situations you are going to want the highest item level piece regardless. As with any rule, there are exceptions and you should always sim your own character's traits with Raidbots to be sure.
DPS Azerite Trait Ranking for Subtlety Rogue
Both of these simulations are based on premade gear with a good distribution of stats for the spec. As always, treat these simulations as a guideline, not a rule, and always sim your own character to be sure.
To see how Azerite traits synergize with each other and perform in AoE situations, refer to the Simulations page
Single-Target Outer Ring
Single-Target Middle Ring
Descriptions of Azerite Traits for Subtlety Rogue
Generic Outer Ring Traits
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Retaliatory Fury gives your abilities a chance to give you a Mastery buff and a shield for 10 seconds.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Seductive Power causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to conjure Bwonsamdi. If you approach him, you gain a small increase to all stats for 5 minutes, stacking up to 5 times. If you fail to heed his call, you lose one stack.
- Clockwork Heart grants you all secondary stats for 12 seconds, once per minute.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Undulating Tides grants your spells and abilites a chance to deal Frost damage. Additionally, when you fall below 50% health, you gain an absorb for 8 seconds.
- Loyal to the End increases your Mastery, plus additional Mastery for every nearby ally who also has the trait selected. When you die, your allies gain Critical Strike, Haste, and Versatility equal to their own Mastery bonus.
Subtlety Rogue Specific Outer Ring Traits
- The First Dance grants 2 Combo Points and a moderate amount of Haste whenever you activate Shadow Dance.
- Perforate causes your Backstab to increase the damage of your future Backstabs for 12 seconds, stacking up to 3 times. In addition, each Backstab cast reduces the cooldown of Shadow Blades.
- Inevitability causes Backstab and Shadowstrike to deal increased damage and extend the duration of your Symbols of Death by 0.5 seconds for each cast.
- Night's Vengeance gives you a buff for 8 seconds after casting Nightblade, which increases the damage done of your next Eviscerate.
- Blade In The Shadows increases the damage of your Shadowstrike, while also reducing its Energy cost.
- Replicating Shadows causes each of your Combo Points spent to have a 2% chance to have your Nightblade deal damage to your target and replicate the debuff to a nearby enemy.
Middle Ring Traits for Subtlety Rogue
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
Inner Ring Traits for Subtlety Rogue
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Footpad gives your allies within 8 yards Speed when Sprint is active. This trait provides a small raid DPS boost, similar to Longstrider, as it allows you and your group members to close gaps and dodge things slightly faster.
- Shrouded Mantle causes your Cloak of Shadows to heal you for small amounts and extra for each magic effect negated during the effect.
- Lying in Wait heals you every 3 seconds when there are no enemies within 12 yards. If there is an enemy, you gain Speed instead.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Subtlety Rogue. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|