Assassination Rogue Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Assassination Rogue, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Assassination Rogues
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Choosing Essences as an Assassination Rogue
Based on the content or encounter type you are engaging with, whether it is Mythic+, Worldquesting or Raiding, you will want to make sure that your Essence setup is best suited to your and your groups needs. What follows on this page is a short summary on what essences to pick, and further down below you will find detailed explanations for all of the important Essences.
Essence Setup Summary
- Single-target: Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) or Breath of the Dying ( Reaping Flames), if you can get a lot of cooldown resets.
- Mythic+: Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) or Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam).
- Single-target: Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams), Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Energy) and Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes).
- Mythic+: Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams), Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes) and either Conflict and Strife ( Strife) for more AoE damage, or Vision of Perfection ( Strive for Perfection) for more damage on dungeon bosses. Vision of Perfection is only playable in combination with Blood of the Enemy.
Notable Essences for Assassination Rogues
Condensed Life-Force is your go-to Essence for single-target damage. While the Minor effect, Condensed Life-Force, is outperformed by multiple other options, it is still worth running if you do not have access to some of the better minor Essences yet. The Major effect, Guardian of Azeroth, is what makes this essence shine, since it further boosts our burst potential during Vendetta when used together.
Worldvein Resonance occasionally spawns a shard next to you that provides a flat amount of Agility. Other players in your group that play the same Essence, as well as their shards, will benefit everyone who plays this Essence. With Patch 8.3, the Major Worldvein Resonance has received a significant buff that makes this Essence very powerful when combined with our already strong single-target cooldowns.
Memory of Lucid Dreams's Major effect, Memory of Lucid Dreams, is not as strong as some of the other Major effects for Assassination; however, until you have access to the second Essence slot, this is the only way to use its Minor, Lucid Dreams, which is one of the strongest, if not the strongest Minor Essence power for single-target situations. Due to the Versatility buff you gain from the Minor effect, the Minor is also one of the best choices for AoE.
Breath of the Dying is a strong contender for your Major Essence slot. Its Major effect Reaping Flames provides a low-cooldown, on-demand burst both during the start of a fight as well as during the execute phase of any encounter. Its Minor effect Lethal Strikes deals a decent amount of damage, and the Corruption Resistance allows you to wear more corrupted items. The benefit from this resistance increase varies based on your corrupted gear.
Essence of the Focusing Iris's Major effect, Focused Azerite Beam, is great for AoE situations, with the downside being that you need to channel it for 4.5 seconds (affected by Haste) as well as not being able to use any other abilities during the channel. It is worth noting that you can pre-cast it if you know when the enemies will spawn, and once you get rank 3 it can be cast while moving. The Minor effect, Focused Energy,has a stackable Haste buff, which makes it one of the strongest Minor Essences for single-target situations.
Blood of the Enemy's Major effect, Blood of the Enemy, is potentially one of the strongest Major effects. It has great single target synergy with our 2 minute long cooldowns, while also buffing critical strike, which is one of the more desirable stats. At the same time, this is good for AoE, as it will synergize further with Echoing Blades via both the primary and secondary effect.
Vision of Perfection's Major ( Vision of Perfection) and Minor ( Strive for Perfection) combination looks interesting, but sadly it is still better to line up Vendetta with Vanish. This means that the Minor effect provides no damage increase at all on regular single target encounters. However, the cooldown reduction can be of great value in situations where you can line up Vendetta with damage increases or when the lowered cooldown lines up with phases that require a lot of burst damage. In these situations, Vision of Perfection is well worth playing.
Conflict and Strife is recommended for its Minor effect, Strife. It grants a stacking Versatility buff which has almost permanent uptime, making it one of the best choices for AoE damage. Even in single-target situations, the Minor is one of the the top-contenders for the second Minor slot, due to not being too far behind other Essences in DPS, while also slightly improving survivability.
Essence Comparison Simulations for Assassination Rogues
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a very rough guideline, and you should not rely on them for making decisions on your own gear. Always use Raidbots.com to sim your own character.
This section will have some basic comparisons when the Essences are implemented properly in the simulation tools we use.
- 09 Apr. 2020: Updated Essence recommendations.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Page updated for Patch 8.3.
- 14 Nov. 2019: Updated descriptions and added Conflict and Strife to Notable Essences list.
- 17 Sep. 2019: Added Condensed Life-Force to Notable Essences list.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Great Vault Mythic Dungeons Item Choices Explained
- Patch 8.3.7 and Classic Hotfixes: July 31st
- Ectoplasmic Distiller Hotfix: July 31st
- Night Elf Male Blindfold Customization Option in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.1 Build 35360: Class Changes