Assassination Rogue Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Assassination Rogue, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendary Powers are bonus effects you can craft onto certain items in Shadowlands by visiting the Runecarver in Torghast. If you are not yet familiar with this process, feel free to check out our comprehensive Runecarving Guide.
The Legendary Powers we list on this page are ranked by performance and usefulness. Sadly, not all Legendary Powers are strong enough to make the list. If you are interested in learning more about all Legendary effects that are available to Rogue, regardless of spec, you can do so in our Rogue Legendary Power overview.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Assassination Rogue
Shadowlands Patch 9.1 introduces a new set of Legendaries, one for each covenant that will improve your covenant ability.
- Obedience is the new Legendary for Venthyr Rogues. It is very solid on single-target and will consistently lower your Flagellation CD to ~60 seconds. You should craft it on a Cloak.
- Resounding Clarity is the new Legendary for Kyrian Rogues. Using it changes all your Combo Points to be anima-charged, allowing for multiple 7 Combo Point finishers in a row when you play around the mechanic properly. However, Assassination's Combo Point generation is still very unreliable and random at times, due to Seal Fate, so this Legendary will see little to no use.
- Deathspike is the new Legendary for Necrolord Rogues. It will shoot a second Serrated Bone Spike on a different target and apply the bleeding effect, but it will not generate additional Combo Points. While this is a solid option for cleave situations, it does not manage to overtake Zoldyck Insignia as our best AoE Legendary.
- Toxic Onslaught is the new Legendary for Night Fae Rogues. It will grant you access to Vendetta for 8 seconds when used. As we already line up Sepsis with Vendetta and their cooldowns are almost the same, the benefit of this Legendary is completely underwhelming.
Best Overall Legendary for Assassination Rogue
The best overall Legendary Power for Assassination Rogue is Zoldyck Insignia. It increases the damage of all your Poisons and bleeds by 30% on targets that are below 30% health.
While Zoldyck Insignia is the best overall Legendary, it is not the strongest for pure single-target. Doomblade and Dashing Scoundrel are likely to outperform it on pure single-target, but they are less effective both on cleave and AoE. Coupled with the talent Blindside, you can become quite the powerhouse whenever you and your group need heavy execute damage. This can be particularly helpful on raid encounters that have a difficult final phase, although the current raid tier has no such encounter.
This Legendary Power can be crafted onto either the Feet or Leg slot. You should definitely craft it on the Legs slot, if possible, since it is one of the three highest item-budget item slots (together with your chest and helmet). As the Runecarver allows you to choose the secondary stats you craft onto your Legendary, this will allow you to have an item with BiS stats on one of the most valuable equipment pieces your character is wearing.
As boots are one of the five domination socket item-slots, you should re-craft this Legendary onto your leg slot if you previously had it on your boots.
The recipe for crafting this Legendary Power can be found inside one of the wings of Torghast, Coldheart Interstitia. You will need to be able beat the boss of the third layer of this wing to find it. You do not have to be specced into Assassination to be able to loot it.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Assassination Rogue
- Zoldyck Insignia is among the strongest single-target and multi-target Legendaries. It is particularly useful on any fight that has a much more difficult final phase, where execute damage becomes more important. It should be crafted on legs.
- Obedience is the best option for any Rogue that chose the Venthyr covenant. Exclusive to Venthyr Rogues, it offers the highest single-target benefit out of all Legendary choices, and can even compete with Zoldyck during execute.
- Doomblade is only worth using on pure single-target encounters, where it outperforms any other Legendary choice. It synergizes well with our Well-Placed Steel Potency Conduit, and can be quite potent when you prepare your Shiv windows properly by pooling Energy beforehand. It is not recommended for any encounter that has multiple targets, or where Zoldyck Insignia's execute damage might be of higher value. It should be crafted on a cloak.
- Dashing Scoundrel is your second-best option. It is very powerful on both single-target and AoE, albeit slightly worse than Zoldyck Insignia. You can play this on any fight that has a more difficult phase where Zoldyck does not yet provide any damage bonuses. It works particularly well with the Winds of Winter Shards of Domination Set. It should be crafted on a cloak.
- Mark of the Master Assassin is the best option out of all the Legendary Powers that are not specific to Assassination. It can be used for on-demand burst, due to the high Critical Strike chance it provides after using Vanish.
- Duskwalker's Patch allows for a fairly strong cooldown reduction to Vendetta. This might be a very situational pick if the lowered cooldown allows you to line up Vendetta with certain bonus-damage phases. It should be crafted on a ring.
- Essence of Bloodfang is our only Legendary effect that provides a bit more than just raw DPS. However, the healing is incredibly minor, and the performance difference too high to justify using it for a bit more self-healing. It should be crafted on a ring.
Best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries for Assassination Rogue
This section covers the best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries. While you will be engaging in a lot more single-target scenarios inside dungeons and the halls of Torghast, single-target damage is still important to take down the most difficult elites and bosses.
- Zoldyck Insignia remains the best choice due to its strong benefits on both AoE and single-target.
- Dashing Scoundrel is your second best option here as well. Sustaining high levels of Energy on AoE is much easier with this Legendary, and it allows for a smoother rotation as well as requiring fewer bleeds that generate Energy for you via Venomous Wounds. Poisons dealing high damage is also very beneficial if you are forced to kite enemies within Torghast.
- Essence of Bloodfang becomes very powerful whenever you start using Fan of Knives as your Combo Point generator. It is a solid Legendary in all multi-target situations, but lacks a bit of strength against bosses or when fighting elites.
- Mark of the Master Assassin is very powerful whenever you can re-Stealth frequently. However, our openers generally consist of casting Garrote multiple times to ramp up our energy generation, "wasting" a large part of the bonus of this Legendary. Vanishing for DPS is also very unreliable within Torghast, to the point where enemies might reset and you have to start the fight all over again. It is still very potent in Mythic+ however, since the high Critical Strike chance allows for consistent Combo Point generation through Seal Fate.
- 25 Aug. 2021: Updated to better reflect current Legendary rankings.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated single-target Legendary rankings for Patch 9.0.5.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Druid Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- The Death of 10 Man Competitive Raiding (Video)
- How to Catch Up on Companion XP in Patch 9.1.5
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622 Class Changes
- Patch 9.1.5 and 9.2 Release Date Predictions
- Lightforged Ruinstrider (Lightforged Draenei Paladin Mount) in Patch 9.1.5
- Warlock Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622)
- Shaman Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5