Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
The Heart of Azeroth enables you to make use of Azerite traits and gear. You can read more about the Heart of Azeroth in our dedicated guide, but this page will show you the best gear and traits to use for your Vengeance Demon Hunter. This page is up to date for Patch 8.0.1.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
Your choice of Azerite Gear pieces will almost always come down to the item level first, and the traits that it has second. Note that you will have to look at all 3 Rings on a piece in order to properly choose between two pieces of gear. Use the lists below, as it is not as simple as taking the highest item level. With an increase of 30+ item levels, you should consider going for the higher piece.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
Below we have listed the best traits for each row. The strength of each piece is based on its traits as a whole as well as its item level.
Because things are still very much in flux, the below rankings should be taken with a grain of salt.
In Battle of Dazaralor, all of the Raid traits are terrible defensively. You will not use any of them.
Note that the new Nazjatar traits are still in flux. They will be updated later this week as well as a renovation of this guide.
2.1. Outer Ring Traits
- Hour of Reaping
- Revel in Pain You want to stack 3 of this trait.
- Rigid Carapace (top 2 for survival and raiding in this tier)
- Infernal Armor
- Cycle of Binding (recommended to have 1 for dungeons)
- Essence Sever (recommended to have 1 for dungeons)
2.2. Middle Ring Traits
2.3. Inner Ring Traits
3. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Vengeance Demon Hunter
None of the Azerite traits effect our rotation in any way.
4. Azerite Gear
Here is a list of the best items for both Mythic+ and raiding.
4.1. For Raid Survival
- Helm: Tidemother's Cover from Stormwall Blockade (Infernal/revel/Overwhelming/Soulmonger)
- Chest: Cephalohide Jacket from Vendor (Revel/Hour/Crystal/Gemhide)
- Shoulders (Horde): Mestrah's Singing Spaulders (Revel/Cycle/Shimmering/Gemhide)
- Shoulders (Alliance): Ma'ra's Boneblade Mantle (Revel/Cycle/Shimmering/Gemhide)
4.2. For Mythic+
- Helm: Hood of the Slithering Loa from Vendor (Revel/Cycle/OP/Impassive)
- Chest: Vest of Reverent Adoration from Vendor (Sever/Revel/gutripper/x)
- Shoulders: Gorak Tul's Mantle (Revel/Hour/x/Soulmonger)
5. Vengeance-specific Azerite Traits
- Hour of Reaping causes Soul Cleave to cast Soul Barrier once you have consumed 40 Souls. This is the exact same as if you cast Soul Barrier. This trait will be very good and it is recommended to have 1 of this trait in all content. Note that the Soul Barrier side does not stack, and the extra healing from Souls is not worth stacking this trait for.
- Cycle of Binding reduces the cooldown on all sigils that are on cooldown whenever a sigil explodes. This also works with sigils cast by Flame Crash. This is potentially one of our strongest traits for dungeons. The cooldown redcution does not stack, however, so you will only need to take 1 of these traits.
- Essence Sever causes your Shear and Fracture to have a chance to spawn extra souls (up to 5) for each enemy near you. This is potentially one of our strongest traits for dungeons. The RPPM does not stack, however, so you will only need to take 1 of these traits.
- Infernal Armor this traits gives you armor and deals damage to enemies when they attack you, all while Immolation Aura is active. This is one of the two best options of the Vengeance traits for defensive purposes and raiding. Which one is better between this and Rigid Carapace is fight-dependent and dependent on what other traits are on your gear.
- Revel in Pain increases the duration of Fiery Brand to 10 seconds and grants an absorb after it expires. This trait will be fairly strong in raid depending on the fight and your strategy. When using this, it is even more important that you use Fiery Brand on cooldown, as you want to maximize the effective uptime of both the debuff and the absorb.
- Rigid Carapace is one of the two best options of the Vengeance traits for defensive purposes and raid. Which one is better between this and Infernal Armor is fight-dependent and dependent on what other traits are on your gear.
- Thrive in Chaos is an Inner Ring trait that heals you per Pain cast. The trait is meant to make you cast your abilities more efficiently, however the healing is too low for this to work. This trait is not worth taking.
6. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Vengeance Demon Hunter. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Updated Azerite Gear and prioritized Revel in Pain Azerite Trait.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 02 Mar. 2019: Added Alliance Azerite Raid shoulders.
- 22 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for season 2 and Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Added 8.1 Azerite traits.
- 28 Sep. 2018: Added best traits and Azerite gear pieces for Uldir.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Page added.