Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor in Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.0.1
Table of Contents
- +Easy Mode
- +Spell Summary
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Main Resource of Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 3. Basic Abilities for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 4. Important Procs for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 5. Active Mitigation and Defensive Abilities
- 6. Cooldowns for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- +Builds and Talents
- 1. Talent Choices for Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 2. Suggested Talent Builds for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 3. Tier 1 (Level 99) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 4. Tier 2 (Level 100) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 5. Tier 3 (Level 102) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 6. Tier 4 (Level 104) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 7. Tier 5 (Level 106) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 8. Tier 6 (Level 108) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 9. Tier 7 (Level 110) Talents for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 10. PvP Talents (War Mode)
- 11. Changelog
- ×Azerite Traits and Armor
- 1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 3. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 4. Azerite Gear
- 5. Vengeance-specific Azerite Traits
- 6. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
- 7. Changelog
- +Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities
- 1. Rotation for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 2. Active Mitigation and Defensive Abilities
- 3. Defensive Cooldowns for Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 4. Taunting
- 5. Optional Read: Mastering Your Vengeance Demon Hunter
- 5.1. Maximizing Defense
- 5.2. Pain
- 5.3. Mastery: Fel Blood
- 5.4. Soul Fragments
- 5.5. Pain Management
- 5.6. In-Depth Ability Usage
- 5.7. Infernal Strike
- 5.8. Flame Crash
- 5.9. Advanced Active Mitigation Usage
- 6. Changelog
- +Mythic+ Tips
- +Common and Worst Mistakes
- +Frequently Asked Questions
- +Boss by Boss Strategies
- +Stat Priority
- +Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
- +Macros and Addons
- 1. Macros
- 2. Addons
- 2.1. Generic Addons for Demon Hunters
- 2.2. Specific Addons for Vengeance Demon Hunters
- 3. Changelog
- +Gear and Best in Slot
The Heart of Azeroth enables you to make use of Azerite traits and gear. You can read more about the Heart of Azeroth in our dedicated guide, but this page will show you the best gear and traits to use for your Vengeance Demon Hunter. This page is up to date for Patch 8.0.1.
About Our Author
This guide has been written by Munkky, the main theorycrafter of the spec since it was initially announced, and an admin in the Demon Hunter Discords. He raids in Happy Accidents, you can watch his YouTube channel, and you can follow him on Twitter.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
Your choice of Azerite Gear pieces will almost always come down to the item level first, and the traits that it has second. Note that you will have to look at all 3 rings on a piece in order to properly choose between two pieces of gear. Use the lists below, as it is not as simple as taking the highest item level. With an increase of 30+ item levels, you should consider going for the higher piece.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
Below we have listed the best traits for each row. The strength of each piece is based on its traits as a whole as well as its item level.
Because things are still very much in flux, the below rankings should be taken with a grain of salt.
2.1. Outer Ring Traits
- Rigid Carapace (top 2 for survival and raiding in this tier)
- Infernal Armor (top 2 for survival and raiding in this tier)
- Gaping Maw
- Cycle of Binding (recommended to have 1 for dungeons)
- Essence Sever (recommended to have 1 for dungeons)
2.2. Middle Ring Traits
2.3. Inner Ring Traits
3. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Vengeance Demon Hunter
None of the Azerite traits effect our rotation in any way.
4. Azerite Gear
Here is a list of the best items for both Mythic+ and raiding.
In the raid, you will want to have at least one piece with either Laser Matrix or Archive of the Titans for Reorigination Array. Note that Usurper's Bloodcaked Spaulders are the best for this, if you only take one raid piece.
Note that the gear below follows the rule of looking at all three rings on a piece. Do not look at only one row of a piece.
The best pieces from the raid are as follows:
4.1. Raiding gear from Mythic+
- Helm: Cowl of Fluid Machinations from Shrine of the Storm
- Shoulders: Pistoleer's Spaulders from Tol Dagor
- Chest: Cephalohide Jacket from Siege of Boralus
- Helm: Irontide Captain's Hat from Freehold
- Shoulders: Tentacle-Laced Spaulders from Shrine of the Storm
- Chest: Gore-Splattered Vest from The Underrot
5. Vengeance-specific Azerite Traits
- Cycle of Binding reduces the cooldown on all sigils that are on cooldown whenever a sigil explodes. This also works with sigils cast by Flame Crash. This is potentially one of our strongest traits for dungeons. The cooldown redcution does not stack, however, so you will only need to take 1 of these traits.
- Essence Sever causes your Shear and Fracture to have a chance to spawn extra souls (up to 5) for each enemy near you. This is potentially one of our strongest traits for dungeons. The RPPM does not stack, however, so you will only need to take 1 of these traits.
- Gaping Maw causes Soul Cleave to grant you an absorb, which is increased based on your health percentage at the time of the cast. This trait is generally decent, as it absorbs all damage.
- Infernal Armor this traits gives you armor and deals damage to enemies when they attack you, all while Immolation Aura is active. This is one of the two best options of the Vengeance traits for defensive purposes and raiding. Which one is better between this and Rigid Carapace is fight-dependent and dependent on what other traits are on your gear.
- Revel in Pain is underhwelming and will not see much play. It gives you an absorb-based on damage done during Fiery Brand after the debuff expires.
- Rigid Carapace is one of the two best options of the Vengeance traits for defensive purposes and raid. Which one is better between this and Infernal Armor is fight-dependent and dependent on what other traits are on your gear.
6. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Vengeance Demon Hunter. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.