Guardian Druid Tank Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor in Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.0.1
Table of Contents
- +Easy Mode
- +Spell Summary
- +Builds and Talents
- 1. Talent Choices for Guardian Druid
- 2. Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 3. Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 4. Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 5. Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 6. Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 7. Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 8. Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents for Guardian Druids
- 9. PvP Talents (War Mode)
- 10. Changelog
- ×Azerite Traits and Armor
- 1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Guardian Druid
- 2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Guardian Druid
- 2.1. How to Use this List
- 2.2. Outer Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
- 2.3. S Tier
- 2.4. Middle Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
- 2.5. Inner Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
- 3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Guardian Druid
- 4. Azerite Gear
- 5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
- 6. Changelog
- +Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities
- 1. Single Target Rotation for Guardian Druids
- 2. Multiple Target Rotation for Guardian Druids
- 3. Active Mitigation for Guardian Druids
- 4. Taunting
- 5. Cooldowns for Guardian Druids
- 6. Optional Read: Mastering Your Guardian Druid
- 6.1. Rage Generation
- 6.2. Mastery: Nature's Guardian
- 6.3. Gore Procs
- 6.4. Detailed Cooldown Usage for Guardian Druids
- 6.5. Abilities and Cooldowns from Talents
- 6.6. Catweaving
- 7. Changelog
- +Mythic+ Tips
- +Common and Worst Mistakes
- +Frequently Asked Questions
- +Boss by Boss Strategies
- +Stat Priority
- +Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
- +Macros and Addons
- 1. Macros
- 2. Addons
- 2.1. Generic Addons for Druids
- 2.2. Specific Addons for Guardian Druids
- +Gear and Best in Slot
This page will be a comprehensive guide to you in choosing your Azerite traits and gear for your Guardian Druid. It is updated for the latest World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth — Patch (8.0.1), and it is best understood if read together with our Heart of Azeroth guide.
About Our Author
This guide has been written by Faide, a Guardian Druid theorycrafter, moderator for the Dreamgrove Druid discord, and owner of Dreamgrove.gg, a Druid community website. He raids in DNO on Kil'jaeden US. You can follow him on Twitter.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Guardian Druid
When comparing two Azerite Gear pieces, the most important consideration is whether it has one or more of our strong S tier traits on it. Generally, this is all you need to know to make a decision; our best Outer Ring traits are worth taking over virtually any reasonable item level increase in terms of defensive value, and you should aim to always have one of these traits in every Azerite Armor slot. Beyond that, having strong Inner Ring traits is the second priority, though these are typically less important than the Outer Ring traits.
When considering an Azerite Armor piece's offensive value, it is strongly recommended that you sim your character using a tool like Raidbots to determine the most optimal setup. It is nearly impossible to accurately account for all the factors at play with a general guideline, but typically a minor DPS difference between two traits will be outweighed by an increase in item level.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Guardian Druid
2.1. How to Use this List
S Tier traits are the strongest traits available. They will provide the most benefit to you in almost all circumstances, and you should aim to get these traits on your gear whenever possible.
A Tier traits are situationally strong or provide good throughput, but are not as strong as S Tier traits in all situations.
B Tier traits are typically weaker bonuses that are either too inconsistent or unreliable for general use, or they provide minor bonuses that do not have a significant impact on your ability to tank.
C Tier traits do not provide relevant tanking-related combat bonuses, and should not be considered for survivability purposes. Note that while they should not be used for survivability, they do provide significant offensive bonuses.
The traits within each tier are presented in no particular order.
2.2. Outer Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
2.3. S Tier
- Layered Mane causes Ironfur to have a 10% chance to apply a second stack, and also increase your Agility (and therefore your Armor) while it is active.
- Twisted Claws causes Thrash to have a 50% chance to increase your Agility for 12 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
2.3.1. A Tier
- Guardian's Wrath causes Maul to deal extra damage and reduce the cost of your next Ironfur by 15 Rage, stacking up to 3 times.
- Masterful Instincts grants Mastery and Armor after Survival Instincts expires.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
2.3.2. B Tier
- Craggy Bark causes Barkskin to further reduce the damage of incoming melee attacks.
- Gory Regeneration causes Frenzied Regeneration to heal for more, and also causes Mangle to increase the duration of an active Frenzied Regeneration by 1 second per target hit, up to a maximum of 3 seconds.
- Waking Dream causes Ysera's Gift to heal every 4 seconds, and heal for an additional amount for each of your active Rejuvenations. This is not selectable in Guardian spec, but will work if you select it as Restoration and then switch back to Guardian. Additionally, this trait only works if you are talented into Restoration Affinity.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Stronger Together causes your abilities to have a chance to plant a factional banner for 6 seconds, empowering yourself and up to 4 allies with the spirit of the Alliance.
2.3.3. C Tier
- Wild Fleshrending causes Shred and Swipe to deal additional damage if your target is suffering from Thrash.
- Power of the Moon causes Moonfire to deal additional damage instantly. This is not selectable in Guardian spec but it will work if you select it in Balance and switch back to Guardian. The second component of this trait (the chance to grant Lunar Empowerment) does not work in Guardian.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Stand As One gives your abilities a chance to drop a Banner for 6 seconds, which buffs you and 4 nearby allies with their primary stat, and increases maximum Health.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
Note that when using at least 1 Uldir trait inside Uldir, Reorigination Array grants you a buff that increases your highest secondary stat every 5 seconds, stacking up to 10. This power increases over time, in order to make Uldir raiding easier.
2.4. Middle Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
2.4.1. S Tier
- Azerite Veins grants you a chance on taking damage to heal every 3 seconds for 18 seconds. Reaching full health will cancel this effect early.
- Crystalline Carapace causes incoming damage that is greater than 10% of your maximum health to grant you Armor and deal damage to your attacker.
2.4.2. A Tier
- Ablative Shielding causes damage that takes you below 40% of your maximum health to grant you Armor for 10 seconds. Taking further Physical damage will reduce the Armor bonus granted. This can only occur every 30 seconds.
- Winds of War causes incoming damage to grant you Dodge for 3 seconds, stacking up to 10 times.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Lifespeed passively increases your Haste and Avoidance.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
2.4.3. B Tier
- Shimmering Haven grants a chance on taking damage to create a pool beneath your feet for 10 seconds. While you stand in this pool, your maximum health and Armor are increased.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
2.4.4. C Tier
- Strength in Numbers grants a chance on taking damage to increase your maximum health for each nearby enemy for 15 seconds.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
2.5. Inner Ring Traits for Guardian Druid
2.5.1. S Tier
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
2.5.2. A Tier
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340.
- Azerite Fortification heals you when you are stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
2.5.3. B Tier
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles ( AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles) that cannot be upgraded past item level 340 .
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
- Ursoc's Endurance causes Barkskin to grant you an absorb for 8 seconds.
2.5.4. C Tier
- Reawakening causes an ally resurrected by your Rebirth to absorb damage over 15 seconds.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 20 yards of you.
3. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Guardian Druid
Some of your Azerite Traits can have big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear and even affect talent choices. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
If you have Gory Regeneration, every Frenzied Regeneration you cast should be immediately followed by a Mangle, in order to always gain 1 extra second of healing. If you are also talented into Incarnation: Guardian of Ursoc, in order to get an optimal Frenzied Regeneration you should first cast Incarnation, then Frenzied Regeneration, then cast Mangle until Incarnation is over.
4. Azerite Gear
Here is a list of the best pieces of Azerite gear you can obtain from content you can do before the raid opens.
- Helm: Flashpowder Hood, looted from Overseer Korgus in Tol Dagor
- Shoulders: Deathshambler's Shoulderpads, looted from T'zane
- Chest: Cephalohide Jacket, looted from Viq'Goth in Siege of Boralus.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Guardian Druid. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.