Holy Paladin Healing Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
1. Choosing Azerite Gear for Holy Paladins
For Holy Paladins, all four Rings of Azerite traits can have significant value, so you will want to prioritize using Azerite gear with more traits unlocked over higher item level pieces with only one or two Rings unlocked, unless the traits on the outer Rings are both S+ level traits and the Middle or Inner Ring traits are much weaker.
As a general rule, you should value each unlocked Azerite trait on an item as being worth at least 15 item levels. Please keep in mind that the actual difference will fluctuate when comparing items, depending on which traits are available. For a more precise comparison, there is an Azerite gear tab on the Holy Paladin Spreadsheet that can directly compare two items.
2. Relative Strength of Azerite Traits for Holy Paladins
Below, we will rank the traits with a tier system in a raid setting when using the Avenging Crusader build. A discussion of how these rankings change when using a Glimmer of Light build can be found at the bottom of the page or by clicking here. For rankings in Mythic+, please see our Mythic+ page.
The ranking system is as follows.
- S Tier: the strongest and most generally useful traits; these are always good choices.
- A Tier: these traits are either slightly weaker than the S Tier traits, or only as strong in specific situations, but are still solid choices.
- B Tier: a below-average trait that should be picked only in the absence of an S or A Tier trait.
- C Tier: a weak trait that provides very little healing output or other utility and should be avoided if possible.
2.1. Outer Rings Traits
The two Outer Rings of Azerite traits have many of the same traits available, so we will list them together here.
2.1.1. S Tier
- Glimmer of Light provides extra healing or damage and encourages consistent use of Holy Shock, which you should always be using as often as possible.
- Bonded Souls provides an extra bit of healing and Haste to you and an ally. The value of this trait will vary greatly based on the overhealing it does in specific encounters.
- Archive of the Titans is a stacking Intellect buff; this trait is excellent, especially on longer fights. Like Laser Matrix, it also activates an Uldir-only buff.
- Laser Matrix is a strong heal that also activates the Uldir-only buff; you will want an Azerite piece with this or Archive of the Titans.
- Grace of the Justicar is incredibly good combined with Judgment of Light. It has a 10 target limit and the range is determined from the outer edge of the target's hitbox. It is potentially very strong if you can consistently heal 4+ targets.
- Breaking Dawn is only a moderate healing increase to Light of Dawn, but the range increase makes this a desirable trait. More than one Breaking Dawn trait is not recommended because the range increase does not stack.
- Champion of Azeroth provides a small boost to all secondary stats, but the long duration, high proc chance, and ability to stack up to 4 times make this trait very strong.
- Ancients' Bulwark provides good bonuses, one of which is always active.
- Endless Hunger provides an incredible amount of static Versatility as well as a conditional heal.
2.1.2. A Tier
- Treacherous Covenant provides a nice Intellect bonus, but it has a major drawback that makes you more likely to die.
- Blightborne Infusion provides a large Critical Strike proc, which is always beneficial.
- Swirling Sands is an excellent trait since Critical Strike bonuses are always welcome and we can extend this one with more Critical Strikes.
- Apothecary's Concoctions is a good trait that can provide both damage and healing over time, but the amount of healing and damage is too variable to consider this a top tier trait.
- Secrets of the Deep requires you to move around and pick up orbs, but that also allows you some leeway in when you want to activate the buff.
- Incite the Pack provides a nice Mastery proc for you and 2 allies, but Mastery has a large variance in value for Holy Paladins.
- Blood Rite provides a good Haste proc, particularly if you can make use of the refresh mechanic.
- Tradewinds provides a nice Mastery proc for you and an ally, but Mastery has a large variance in value for Holy Paladins.
- Meticulous Scheming provides a good Haste proc with a little extra control given to the player.
- Shadow of Elune is a decent Haste proc that also provides some movement speed when active.
2.1.3. B Tier
- Seductive Power is a very long duration buff to your stats, but you can lose stacks if you fail to pick up the buff. If you are able to maintain multiple stacks for the majority of an encounter, this trait is decent.
- Radiant Incandescence is generally useful and will improve significantly as your Critical Strike chance increases.
- Unstable Catalyst requires movement for you to be able to fully utilize it, like Secrets of the Deep this trait. The buff does not last as long and requires more maintenance than Secrets of the Deep, but is as strong if you can sustain it.
- Filthy Transfusion loses some value because it only procs from damage.
- Divine Revelations is decent; in most cases you will be far better off adjusting your spell usage to conserve Mana rather than relying on the small Mana return from this trait. The additional healing it adds to Flash of Light is a moderate bonus and will see more use.
- Avenger's Might works with Avenging Crusader as well as Avenging Wrath, but is a Mastery bonus, which can be very good or very bad depending on the talent and situation.
2.1.4. C Tier
- Indomitable Justice is only useful for healing with Avenging Crusader and even then is not particularly good.
- Fortifying Auras is situationally useful to prevent one-shots, but otherwise has very little value.
- Moment of Compassion is rarely beneficial since we want to avoid healing our Beacon of Light target if we can.
2.2. Middle Ring Traits
2.2.1. S Tier
- Azerite Veins is good mechanically, and an incredibly large heal. Low proc rate is the only downside.
- Blessed Portents functions like Highfather's Machination, but with half the proc rate.
- Savior is an excellent trait, especially on progression. It loses value in lower difficulties or when the raid over-gears the content.
2.2.2. A Tier
- Overwhelming Power provides a large amount of Haste with a very long duration, but loses some value if you are taking consistent damage.
- Concentrated Mending's healing is good, but the delayed nature of it is also more likely to become overhealing.
- Blood Siphon is a strong trait thanks to the Leech being better than the other static stat boosts.
- Lifespeed is good, because extra stats are always nice to have.
2.2.3. B Tier
- Earthlink is a consistent primary stat boost that is always beneficial.
- On My Way is likewise good thanks to the extra stats it provides.
- Woundbinder's Haste proc has an uncertain value, which reduces the value of this trait.
- Bracing Chill limits your target selection too severely to gain much value.
2.2.4. C Tier
- Synergistic Growth has a restricted value due to the limit of only receiving the Mastery gain once every 30 seconds, despite the fact that you can control when the extra Mastery is gained.
- Unstable Flames is lackluster because the duration is very short and it only procs from damaging spells.
- Elemental Whirl also only procs from damaging spells, and is a random secondary stat, so not as valuable as it could have been.
- Ephemeral Recovery restores too little Mana to be worth choosing. If Mana is a concern, you should alter your spell selection.
2.3. Inner Ring Traits
2.3.1. S Tier
- Impassive Visage is a very strong trait that provides regular healing in all situations.
- Resounding Protection is a new version of the Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus shield, making this trait always effective.
2.3.2. A Tier
- Bulwark of the Masses is situationally a very strong trait, though not consistent enough to be ranked higher.
- Stalwart Protector is strong in the right situation, but requires the use of your Divine Shield that you might need at another time.
- Gallant Steed could be useful if you need a shorter cooldown on your only mobility spell or want to provide a speed boost to your raid.
2.3.3. B Tier
- Longstrider has better options in most cases, even though movement speed can be very useful.
- Azerite Fortification is very encounter-dependent for its small healing value.
- Vampiric Speed is potentially very strong, but also very encounter-dependent.
- Self Reliance is a strong heal, but as a melee healer primarily you will not receive its benefits as often as some other healers.
- Empyreal Ward would be a nice bonus for your tanks, however, being tied to casts of Lay on Hands means it is too infrequent to be a good choice.
2.4. PvP Traits
For those who like to PvP, the Azerite traits below are only found on gear obtained from PvP. The traits also work in a PvE environment, but may or may not have reduced effectiveness depending on the trait. They are all Outer Rings traits and all have relatively strong bonuses in PvP environments compared to PvE traits.
- Anduin's Dedication/ Sylvanas' Resolve are good options early in the expansion, since primary stat increases are a good choice at such times.
- Glory in Battle/ Liberator's Might have a high proc rate and are good stats for Holy Paladins.
- Last Gift/ Retaliatory Fury provides a nice effect in the absorb, even though Mastery is not one of our best stats.
- Collective Will/ Stand As One is a mixed trait, since the primary stat increase is excellent, but the health increase is more situational.
- Superior Stratagem might find some use in a progression PvE if you are struggling to survive a consistent damaging mechanic, but otherwise provides very little benefit outside of PvP.
- Fight or Flight has too inconsistent a trigger in PVE to have any significant value, despite high potential uptime.
2.5. Glimmer of Light Build Adjustments
Because the Glimmer of Light build is so radically different from a standard Avenging Crusader build, some traits will have significantly different values compared to the ranking above. Below, we will list and discuss the notable changes.
- Glimmer of Light: As the namesake of the build itself, having at least two and preferably three of this trait is absolutely essential.
- Light's Decree: Despite being a Retribution Paladin trait, having one (and only one) of this trait is valuable because it extends the duration of your Avenging Wrath by five seconds.
- Radiant Incandescence: This is moderately better with a Glimmer build because of the large number of extra Holy Shock casts you do.
- Blood Rite: This provides a good Haste proc and the Glimmer build prefers Haste more than a standard Avenging Crusader build.
3. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Holy Paladin. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|