Holy Paladin Patch 9.1 Changes Analysis — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, we tell you how the Patch 9.1 changes for Holy Paladin affect the spec and what the current state of theorycrafting is.
Holy Paladin in Patch 9.1
Holy Paladin has received some noticeable nerfs heading into Patch 9.1. While these nerfs may some significant at first glance, they will do very little to alter the healer meta in both Mythic+ and Raiding. Holy Paladin will still remain one of the best if not the best healer in both forms of content. Regardless of Covenant choice, Holy Paladin dealt significantly more damage than other healers and was in need of nerfs to its damage output. Even after the nerfs, Paladin will still deal more damage than any of the other healers.
The nerfs to Paladin in Patch 9.1 are:
- All damage nerfed by 8%.
- Crusader's Might now reduces the cooldown of Holy Shock by 1 second (was 1.5).
- Ashen Hallow, Judgment, Hallowed Discernment and Hammer of Wrath had their damage reduced by an additional 10% on top of the flat 8% nerf listed above.
- Crusader Strike had its Mana cost increased to 1100 (was 900).
Paladin buffs/changes in Patch 9.1:
- Flash of Light healing increased by 30%.
- Infusion of Light causes Holy Light to now generate 1 Holy Power instead of increasing its healing by 30%.
These nerfs result in an overall 13-15% damage decrease for Holy Paladins. That being said, there is virtually no change in the amount of healing Holy Paladin is able to do. The gameplay for the class should remain the exact same with no real noticeable difference unless you replace the Crusader's Might talent with Light's Hammer or Bestow Faith which are now more competitive. If you were to change this talent choice, you would still use your abilities the exact same way with the primary difference just being how often you are able to cast Holy Shock.
Holy Paladin Covenants in Patch 9.1
The best covenant for Holy Paladin in 9.1 will not change with any changes to its abilities or legendaries. Kyrian will still be exceptional in all forms of content and Venthyr will still be superior for very high-end levels of play where the damage increase is worth the sacrifice in healing and flexibility. If you were Kyrian before the patch, you can stay Kyrian. If you were Venthyr before the patch, you can stay Venthyr.
Paladin Covenant Legendaries
In Patch 9.1, Paladin has four new legendaries available to craft and use. These legendaries are covenant themed and each one of them amplify the abilities of the covenant ability to make them stronger.
- Divine Resonance is the new Kyrian-specific Legendary. This legendary is very bugged at the moment but it has potential to be strong once it gets fixed.
- Seasons of Plenty is the new Night Fae-specific Legendary. By itself, this Legendary is decent but it does not add enough to Night Fae to make it a competitive Covenant choice. It will not be as strong as our current BiS Legendary, Shock Barrier.
- Duty-Bound Gavel is the new Necrolord-specific Legendary. Unfortunately, the Legendary is significantly outclassed by many of our other Legendaries such as Shock Barrier. It will likely be our 5th or 6th-best Legendary as Holy Paladins.
- Radiant Embers is the new Venthyr-specific Legendary. The most important thing to know about this Legendary is that once you step out of your Ashen Hallow, it disppears. No matter if it was placed 3 seconds ago or 40, it will disappear. That being said, stepping out of it within the first 20-25 seconds of it being on the ground will reduce its cooldown by a significant amount. The general approach to this Legendary can vary depending on the situation but you will either want to step out of it after 20-25 seconds to lower the cooldown to approximately 2 minutes, or stay in the Ashen Hallow until it reaches its maximum duration of 45 seconds.
Venthyr players will likely end up replacing Shock Barrier with their new covenant-specific legendary, Radiant Embers. For Kyrian players, they will not replace Shock Barrier yet. Divine Resonance is very bugged and until it gets fixes, it is hard to evaluate just how good it is. As it currently stands, you would not play it over Shock Barrier.
- 04 Jun. 2021: Page updated to reflect legendary changes.
- 17 May 2021: Page updated to reflect recent nerfs to Holy Paladin.
- 25 Apr. 2021: Page filled with initial information.
- How to Get Actual Mangos via Battleground Chat. Wait, What?
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 14th
- Blizzard Working on Protection Paladin's Threat Issue Bug
- Official Preview of Mythic Rating in Patch 9.1
- Class Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 1 (Week of June 15)
- Reduced Amount of BoE Gear from Sanctum of Domination
- Official Preview of Maw Updates in Patch 9.1
- Mawsworn Charger's Reins - New Torghast Mount in Patch 9.1