Holy Paladin Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Holy Paladin, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Holy Paladins
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Essence additions in patch 8.3
Patch 8.3 adds 3 new essences, each from content added in 8.3: The Formless Void ( Replica of Knowledge + Symbiotic Presence) from the new Ny'alotha raid, Spirit of Preservation ( Spirit of Preservation + Devout Spirit) from the new Rajani faction, and Unwavering Ward ( Guardian Shell + Unwavering Ward) from the Horrific Visions. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 new essences article for more information.
Recommended Default Essences for Holy Paladin
As a general guideline, assuming you are not required to use a special purpose essence for a specific encounter, your essence choices should be as follows.
Use Vision of Perfection in the Major slot, and The Well of Existence ( The Well of Existence), Unwavering Ward ( Unwavering Ward) and Conflict and Strife ( Strife) in the Minor slots, a build that focuses on both passive as well as burst healing and damage reduction.
For a balanced setup, focused on doing both healing and damage, use Vision of Perfection in the Major slot, and The Crucible of Flame ( Ancient Flame), Spirit of Preservation ( Devout Spirit) and Conflict and Strife ( Strife) in the Minor slots.
Use The Well of Existence ( Refreshment) in the Major slot, and Vision of Perfection ( Strive for Perfection), Spirit of Preservation ( Devout Spirit) and Conflict and Strife ( Strife) in the Minor slots. This is specifically if you are looking to focus on heavy on-demand spothealing.
Essence Rankings for Holy Paladin
- Vision of Perfection's major power ( Vision of Perfection) will grant us 7 seconds of Avenging Wrath. On paper this looks strong, although the random nature of the proc leaves much to be desired from a healing only perspective. The minor ( Strive for Perfection) is very nice in Mythic+, but will see play dependent on damage patterns in raid encounters.
- The Well of Existence ( Refreshment + The Well of Existence) stores 15% of your overhealing, which can then be instantly released into a target every 15 seconds with the major power, or automatically released in smaller amounts with the minor power. The major is lackluster compared to some of the other choices, whereas the minor should be strong, especially with the glimmer build.
- Conflict and Strife's major power ( Conflict) is good in PvP, but useless in PvE. Most raid and dungeon encounters do not predictably interrupt you, nor require that you keep healing through their interrupt effects. It might be useful for the Quaking Mythic+ affix. The minor effect ( Strife) is potent at Rank 2, and extremely potent at rank 3.
- The Crucible of Flame ( Concentrated Flame + Ancient Flame) is the essence of choice for DPS-oriented situations. This essence provides the best single-target DPS increase out of all the essences we can use, and looks to be the default choice for damage-focused hybrid damage dealing in raiding.
- Unwavering Ward's major power ( Guardian Shell) makes you throw out orbs in random directions around you. Touching these orbs provides an absorption shield that also reduces incoming damage. The minor effect ( Unwavering Ward) grants all allies within 15 yards a small absorption shield (and damage reduction when the shield holds) every 15 seconds. The minor is very solid.
- The Ever-Rising Tide's major power ( Overcharge Mana) power provides an extremely powerful healing boost on a very short 30-second cooldown, with the downside of stopping your Mana regeneration while active. Its minor power ( The Ever-Rising Tide) is also good, granting stats, Mana, or both. Rank 2 and above will be a strong contender for default major choice in raiding, with the minor a nice added bonus. Rank 1 is quite inefficient.
- Worldvein Resonance's minor power ( Lifeblood) power occasionally creates a Lifeblood Shard near you for 18s, boosting your primary stat, and that of nearby allies. This is a strong essence, which scales very well with group size, and will potentially be used as a support throughput minor slot in raids. Its major power ( Worldvein Resonance) is mostly forgettable.
- Vitality Conduit ( Vitality Conduit + Transference) provides a Spirit Link Totem-like power, allowing you to designate a target to receive transferred life from its high health allies nearby. Unfortunately, the cooldown and transferred health numbers are too low to be good at this point. Its minor power is a more useful, as it passively activates a smaller health transfer effect, with an absorb shield tacked on top, making it a decent essence for certain encounters and arena.
- Spirit of Preservation's major power ( Spirit of Preservation) allows you to channel continues healing into a single ally. The minor effect ( Devout Spirit) is a buff to your Flash of Light that stacks up 3 times. The major is lacklustre, the minor will be decent in mythic plus.
These essences should only be picked if you have a real, tangible use case for them.
- The Formless Void ( Replica of Knowledge + Symbiotic Presence) allows you to steal the active major essences of other players at an increased cooldown. The minor gives you Intellect (and at Rank 3, Haste to you and the specific ally) whenever an ally activates a major essence. Both of these effects are poor: Holy paladin has very strong major options for both healing and damage purposes, while we scale poorly with Intellect (and DPS essences are generally used simultaneously, giving poor uptime).
- Artifice of Time ( Standstill + Artifice of Time) provides a large absorption shield to an ally, which can come in clutch, especially in PvP. It does come with a huge 3-minute cooldown however. The minor power of granting Haste (and speed, at high ranks) Could see use in a more support oriented setup.
- Life-Binder's Invocation ( Life-Binder's Invocation + Seed of Eonar) provides a strong healing cooldown every 2.5 minutes. Its minor power provides passive bits of healing. Cooldowns are typically stronger than passive healing, making this essence a good addition to our cooldown kit. The minor does not proc from Glimmer, which makes it near useless for the glimmer build.
- Ripple in Space ( Ripple in Space + Reality Shift) is another PvP-focused essence. Its teleport capabilities are very useful to escape enemy focus, but you are sacrificing significant amounts of throughput from other essences for it. Its minor power is still niche, as it requires movement to activate, but could see usage on encounters requiring heavy movement.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Memory of Lucid Dreams + Lucid Dreams) is a strong healer essence, but only in the minor slot, as its major power is very weak for Mana regeneration. Holy paladin, and especially glimmer paladin, currently has no Mana issues, rendering this mostly useless for us outside of encounters with extremely heavy flash of light usage.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for 8.3.
- 02 Oct. 2019: Updated essence ranking.
- 21 Aug. 2019: Updated guide to reflect EP mythic progress.
- 23 Jul. 2019: Updated the guide to reflect live experiences.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Essence recommendations updated.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: Class Changes
- Unique Icy Veins Death Knight Armor Set by Handclaw
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: New Anima Powers
- Shade Beast Mounts in Shadowlands