Windwalker Monk Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Windwalker Monk, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
1. Azerite Essences for Windwalker Monks
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
2. Choosing Essences as a Windwalker Monk
Each Essence has 4 different ranks. While the last rank is purely cosmetic, previous ones can have a noticeable increase in power, thus determining if a certain Essence at a higher rank is your best available option at a given time.
Simulations through Raidbots or done locally can help you decide your best trait, but some degree of critical thinking is required beyond just picking the highest ranking Essence.
For all uses, Conflict and Strife is the strongest available effect. While the others may be situational, they are lackluster in comparison.
The Crucible of Flame has an easily available and very powerful Major effect.
Essence of the Focusing Iris is a very powerful effect specifically for on-demand AoE output. This makes it a very strong choice for specific content like Mythic+.
Although other Essences are good at different things, they overall are significantly worse than these three options at everything.
2.1. Major Essence Rankings
2.2. Major Essence Rankings
3. Essence Notes for Windwalker Monk
- Conflict and Strife enables Reverse Harm in PvE content. Check how it fits into your rotation, as this is a very potent effect.
- Condensed Life-Force lines up with your other 2-minute Cooldown, however it does not contribute to Touch of Death, so use it on Cooldown.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris's Major has a channel time reduced by Haste. This works as an additional Fists of Fury every 90 seconds, so use it for burst AoE and do not be afraid to delay it. Be careful when aiming it, as it is quite narrow.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams grants a high increase in Eergy generation. It is hard to plan for the buff and Windwalker Monks are already resource flooded, making this quite hard to make the most of.
- Purification Protocol's Major becomes strong if you benefit from the 10% damage increase when a target dies within its effect. This can be used to funnel damage into a boss target thanks to add spawns.
- Ripple in Space's Minor can be procced by using Transcendence, Flying Serpent Kick, and Demonic Gateway.
- The Unbound Force's Major is weak, as Windwalker Monks do not have any way to benefit from the Critical Chance or damage increase.
- Vision of Perfection could end up being a very strong effect, but it is hard to be sure yet. It should not be significantly better in any case than Conflict and Strife and is likely to be much worse.
- Worldvein Resonance should be very easy to get the most out of as a melee player in a large raid.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Eternal Palace Race Day 2: 5/8, Method and Limit Exchanging the Lead
- Quick LFR Wing 1 Tips from WoW Instagram
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 17th
- WoW Classic Global Stress Test Postponed
- World First Glory of the Eternal Raider Completed
- Eternal Palace Race Day 1: 3/8 Down, Ashvane Stands + Kill Videos
- Not a Bug List Updated with Many Issues
- Conflict and Strife Rank 2 Hotfix Now Live
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Essence Guide
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5
- Priest Leveling Guide
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Protection Warrior 8.2