Windwalker Monk Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Windwalker Monk, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Windwalker Monks
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Choosing Essences as a Windwalker Monk
Each Essence has 4 different ranks. While the last rank is purely cosmetic, previous ones can have a noticeable increase in power, thus determining if a certain Essence at a higher rank is your best available option at a given time.
Simulations through Raidbots or done locally can help you decide your best trait, but some degree of critical thinking is required beyond just picking the highest ranking Essence.
For single-target, Conflict and Strife ( Conflict + Strife) is the strongest available effect, provided you can get the maximum out of it. However, this requires using Reverse Harm on cooldown for the maximum amount on a target with high health. Therefore, it is often lackluster outside of the ideal scenario.
Worldvein Resonance ( Worldvein Resonance + Lifeblood) is a strong yet situational essence. It requires several other members and low movement to be ideal, making it strong for specific raid encounters only.
Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam + Focused Energy) is a very powerful effect specifically for on-demand AoE output. This makes it a very strong choice for specific content like Mythic+. On the other hand, Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy + Blood-Soaked) can outshine it for AoE if you have it at a high rank, and is decent at single target as well.
Breath of the Dying is a single-target only damaging effect with some strong upside on high and low health enemies. It does not provide significant value against multiple enemies, however.
Major Essence Rankings
Minor Essence Rankings
Essence Notes for Windwalker Monk
- Conflict and Strife ( Conflict + Strife) enables Reverse Harm in PvE content. Check how it fits into your rotation, as this is a very potent effect.
- Condensed Life-Force ( Guardian of Azeroth + Condensed Life-Force) lines up with your other 2-minute Cooldown, however it does not contribute to Touch of Death, so use it on Cooldown.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam + Focused Energy)'s Major has a channel time reduced by Haste. This works as an additional Fists of Fury every 90 seconds, so use it for burst AoE and do not be afraid to delay it. Be careful when aiming it, as it is quite narrow.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Memory of Lucid Dreams + Lucid Dreams) grants a high increase in Energy generation. It is hard to plan for the buff and Windwalker Monks are already resource flooded, making this quite hard to make the most of.
- Purification Protocol ( Purifying Blast + Purification Protocol)'s Major becomes strong if you benefit from the 10% damage increase when a target dies within its effect. This can be used to funnel damage into a boss target thanks to add spawns.
- Ripple in Space ( Ripple in Space + Reality Shift)'s Minor can be procced by using Transcendence, Flying Serpent Kick, and Demonic Gateway.
- The Unbound Force ( The Unbound Force + Reckless Force)'s Major is weak, as Windwalker Monks do not have any way to benefit from the Critical Chance or damage increase.
- Vision of Perfection ( Vision of Perfection + Strive for Perfection) could end up being a very strong effect, but it is hard to be sure yet. It should not be significantly better in any case than Conflict and Strife and is likely to be much worse.
- Worldvein Resonance ( Worldvein Resonance + Lifeblood) should be very easy to get the most out of as a melee player in a large raid.
- Spark of Inspiration ( Moment of Glory + Unified Strength) provides a supporting effect for other raid members, enhancing their Essences. Make sure you coordinate with others when using it, or take into account those who do when using your own Essences.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Page updated for 8.3 and added notes about new Essences.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Hunter Stable Size Increased to 205 Slots in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34972: Class Changes
- Tyrannical Affix No Longer Affects Boss Mobs in Shadowlands
- Priest Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Shaman Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Changes to Combat Potions on the Shadowlands Alpha
- Demon Hunter Shadowlands Major Class Changes: July 1st
- An Update on Pelagos' Pronouns on the Shadowlands Alpha