Outlaw Rogue Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Outlaw Rogue, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Outlaw Rogues
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Choosing Essences as an Outlaw Rogue
Based on the content or encounter type you are engaging with, whether it is Mythic+, Worldquesting or Raiding, you will want to make sure that your Essence setup is best suited to your and your groups needs. What follows on this page is a short summary on what essences to pick, and further down below you will find detailed explanations for all of the important Essences.
Essence Setup Summary
- Single-target: Worldvein Resonance ( Worldvein Resonance) if other people in your group are playing Worldvein too, else Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) or Breath of the Dying ( Reaping Flames).
- Mythic+: Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) or Breath of the Dying ( Reaping Flames).
- Single-target: Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams), The Crucible of Flame ( Ancient Flame), and Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes).
- Mythic+: Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams), Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes), and either Conflict and Strife ( Strife) for slightly more survivability or Purification Protocol ( Purification Protocol) for a bit more AoE damage.
Notable Essences for Outlaw Rogues
Worldvein Resonance occasionally spawns a shard next to you that provides a flat amount of Agility. Other players in your group that play the same Essence, as well as their shards, will benefit everyone who plays this Essence. With Patch 8.3, the Major Worldvein Resonance has received a significant buff that puts this Essence ahead of all other options.
The Crucible of Flame ( Concentrated Flame) is the second best option for pure single-target with its 30-second cooldown nuke. Until you get access to Rank 3 of Condensed Life-Force this should be your Major Essence.
Breath of the Dying is a very strong contender for one of your three Minor Essence slots. Its Minor effect Lethal Strikes deals a decent amount of damage, and the Corruption Resistance allows you to wear more corrupted items. The benefit from this resistance increase varies based on your corrupted gear. Its Major effect Reaping Flames provides a low-cooldown on-demand burst both during the start of a fight as well as during the execute phase of any encounter. Due to this usefulness below 30% HP of your target, this Essence might see some niche use even as a Major.
Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam) is very potent for AoE burst situations, with the channel being usable as a pre-cast, and the cast time being reduced by Haste. The Minor ( Focused Energy) provides Haste, which is not the best possible bonus, but still decent. Use this on AoE whenever your Blade Flurry is recharging one of its charges.
Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) is great in single target and AoE due to its synergy with Between the Eyes. The Minor ( Blood-Soaked) is a passive stackable secondary buff, which is not very interesting, but does provide additional damage.
Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams) is your strongest Minor Essence option. It will provide you with a lot of extra energy, making your rotation more fluid by lowering the amount of times where you are starving energy.
Vision of Perfection ( Strive for Perfection) is one of the more interesting Essences for Outlaw, and helps further boost the uptime on Adrenaline Rush. Due to the number of various cooldown-reducing mechanics on Outlaw, this can end up being very potent, but only when run in one of the Minor Essence slots.
Essence Comparison Simulations for Outlaw Rogues
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a very rough guideline, and you should not rely on them for making decisions on your own gear. Always use Raidbots.com to sim your own character.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Page updated for Patch 8.3.
- 11 Dec. 2019: Added Condenses Life-Force, Lucid and Crucible essences. Updated description for Visions/Focusing Iris.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Queues Are Back on Some WoW Classic Servers
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: March 24th
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- All Bear Druid Heroic AotC N'Zoth and M+16
- World of Warcraft Fan Art of r/wow
- Hellfire Peninsula in Unreal Engine 4
- Updated Skyboxes for Capital Cities (Fan Art)
- Trial of Style (March 20th - March 24th)
- Protection: Weak Auras - Damage Mitigation Tracking.
- Legendary Weapons Transmog
- Legendary Cloak Overview
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Transmogrification - All Classes
- New Guild not getting guild dungeon awards
- Windwalker Monk 8.3