Frost Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Frost Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
One of the new parts of Shadowlands is that you have gained the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. You gain Legendary powers through different gameplay sources, and once you obtain them you can craft your own Legendary. Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will go over each Legendary effect to help you make the choice a lot easier.
Best Legendary Powers for Frost Death Knight
|Raiding ( Breath of Sindragosa)||Rage of the Frozen Champion||Wrist||Torghast||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Raiding ( Obliteration before 4-set)||Koltira's Favor||Shoulders||Sludgefist (Castle Nathria)||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Raiding ( Obliteration 2H)||Koltira's Favor||Shoulders||Sludgefist (Castle Nathria)||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Raiding ( Obliteration DW before 4-set)||Koltira's Favor||Shoulders||Sludgefist (Castle Nathria)||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Raiding ( Obliteration Dual-Wield with 4-set)||Phearomones||Neck||Vault||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Mythic+||Biting Cold||Waist||The Necrotic Wake||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Torghast||Biting Cold||Waist||The Necrotic Wake||Critical Strike and Mastery|
Best Raiding Legendaries for Frost Death Knight
Picking up a Legendary for Raiding depends heavily on the build you choose, the weapon you have, and whether or not you have been able to obtain the new 4-set.
Before you have your 4-set, we recommend running Rage of the Frozen Champion for Breath of Sindragosa. The extra Runic Power helps extend your Breath windows, providing a significant DPS boost! We recommend running Koltira's Favor for Obliteration. The damage boost to Obliterates really synergises well with this Legendary!
Once we obtain the 4-set, things change. For Breath of Sindragosa, Rage of the Frozen Champion is still the general pick. We see a large increase in the duration of Breath due to Runic Empowerment procs from the 4-set, as well as the Rune of Hysteria Runeforge that we swap to. This means we need bosses without any forced downtime for Rage of the Frozen Champion to be good. Whenever you cannot viably maintain 60+ second breaths, pick up Biting Cold instead!
For Obliteration with the 4-set, the choice depends on your weapon. With Dual-Wield, we run Phearomones and Night Fae. The extra Haste will provide one extra GCD in the Obliteration window, providing a good chunk of extra damage! For 2H, Koltira's Favor is still best. The synergy with Might of the Frozen Wastes is simply too strong!
Best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries for Frost Death Knight
Biting Cold is by far the best Legendary for Mythic+ and Torghast. Its good single-target and great AoE makes it the by far best pick!
Covenant Legendaries for Frost Death Knight
Frost Death Knight has the option of using one Legendary from its current Covenant.
- Kyrian Final Sentence — This is mainly an AoE Legendary. It does provide some value in single-target, 4% for 15 seconds, but this is overall really weak. It does well in AoE but the lack of single-target makes it an overall mediocre Legendary.
- Necrolord Abomination's Frenzy — One of the best Legendaries available to use. Its 20% damage increase every 2 minutes feeds well into both Breath of Sindragosa and Obliteration. The extra duration is also nice, especially when you combine it with the Brutal Grasp Conduit. Abomination Limb really becomes a powerful cooldown! This Legendary is a large reason why we recommend you to run Necrolord for Raiding in Patch 9.2.
- Night Fae Rampant Transference — A great Legendary for any AoE. The Strength buff stacks up to 20% with only 2 Obliterates in AoE scenarios, greatly buffing all your burst! This Legendary is a major reason why Night Fae is the recommended Mythic+ Covenant in 9.2.
- Venthyr Insatiable Hunger — Mainly an AoE Legendary, this makes our Swarming Mist windows even more potent. Unfortunately, it only really shines in AoE, making it a mediocre Legendary overall. It does have an interesting synergy with the Frost DK 4-Piece set bonus, since the Glacial Advances that it fires counts toward the Legendary's damage! It can potentially see play in Mythic+, but it is doubtful.
- 09 Mar. 2022: Further clarified Legendary choices by build.
- 20 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Jul. 2021: Added more explanations.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Guide Reviewed and updated for Patch 9.1.
- 25 Mar. 2021: Fixed a small typo in the table.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added a section with the BiS Legendary for each major form of content.
- 24 Jan. 2021: Guide reviewed and completely updated.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Free Character Moves from Firemaw
- Shadowlands 9.2 Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Weeks 10 and 11
- Eyes of the Wolf Calia Menethil Quest in Patch 9.2.5
- Everything We Know About the Shrouded Affix in Shadowlands Season 4
- New Oribos Portals in Patch 9.2.5
- Patch 9.2.5 Build 43741: Achievement Changes
- Patch 9.2 and Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 17th
- Patch 9.2.5 PTR Development Notes: May 17th