Restoration Druid Essences — Shadowlands Pre-Patch 9.0.1
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Restoration Druid, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Restoration Druids
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Raiding Essence Usage Recommendations
For your Major slot, use The Ever-Rising Tide ( Overcharge Mana) or Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Memory of Lucid Dreams). You will generally only use The Ever-Rising Tide if there are clear burst windows you need to heal through with very little sustained raid damage. Otherwise you will default to Memory of Lucid Dreams. Also, keep in mind that The Ever-Rising Tide effect at Rank 1 ( Overcharge Mana) is very bad. Until you get higher ranks, you should never be using this essence in the Major slot.
For your first Minor slot, use Conflict and Strife ( Strife). If you do not have Rank 3 Conflict and Strife, you can consider using some of the lower ranked Minor essences, even if they are Rank 2 as well.
For your second Minor slot, use The Ever-Rising Tide ( The Ever-Rising Tide), if you did not pick it for the Major slot.
As for next options, you can pick multiple different Minor essences based on your needs and availability. If you are in need of Corruption resistance, use either Unwavering Ward ( Unwavering Ward) for fights with stacking (only at Rank 3) or The Formless Void ( Symbiotic Presence). The Formless Void is a stronger choice once you start reaching higher than 100000 HPS on any encounter, no matter the damage pattern.
Pick Vision of Perfection ( Strive for Perfection) for encounters where lining up Tranquility cooldowns is extremely important. The Well of Existence ( The Well of Existence) will work the best in every other scenario.
Mythic+ Essence Usage Recommendations
For your Major slot, use The Formless Void. Healing is almost never a concern for Restoration Druids and the extra damage burst this essence provides via copying Essence of the Focusing Iris can be very strong, especially on Fortified weeks. If there are no players with Essence of the Focusing Iris in the group, you should use The Crucible of Flame ( Concentrated Flame). For healing intensive affixes, you might want to run Ever-Rising Tide for more AoE. Vitality Conduit ( Vitality Conduit) is a good choice for more single target healing or on Necrotic weeks, since the healing it does ignores healing reduction from Necrotic Wound.
For your first Minor slot, you should use Conflict and Strife as it provides the highest amount of healing, damage and survivability.
For your second Minor slot, you should use Ever-Rising Tide.
Mandatory Essence Powers for Restoration Druids
- The Ever-Rising Tide — Both the Major effect ( Overcharge Mana) and Minor effect ( The Ever-Rising Tide) are extremely strong, especially at Rank 3. The cost of each use is 6400 Mana. The on-use effect buff has two parts. The first part is ramp, which lasts 8 seconds. The second part starts right after the ramp, you get to keep all the stacks you acquired while ramping, but do not gain any more. Rank 1 is really bad and should never be used.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams — Both Major and Minor parts of this essence are only good for raid healing ( Memory of Lucid Dreams and Lucid Dreams). On-use effect regenerates 9600 Mana at Rank 1 and 12000 Mana at Ranks 2 and 3. You should aim to use it on cooldown and as many times as possible. Minor portion of Lucid Dreams is essential for your Mana sustainability when you are using the The Ever-Rising Tide Major.
- Conflict and Strife — Major effect ( Conflict) provides you with the Reactive Resin passive, which is bad for any type of PvE content, since tanks can not be critically hit. However, the Minor effect ( Strife) is incredible for both raids and dungeons. It is not very good at Rank 2, but at Rank 3 it is probably the best Minor essence for all PvE content.
- The Formless Void — Major effect ( Replica of Knowledge) provides unique ability to do AoE damage or huge single target damage on demand. This essence is a staple of Mythic+ content and might even see some use in raids.
- Unwavering Ward — Minor effect ( Unwavering Ward) will be only used in raids, most likely only at Rank 3 and in Mythic difficulty.
Situational Essence Powers for Restoration Druids
- The Crucible of Flame — Both Major ( Concentrated Flame) and Minor ( Ancient Flame) parts of are pretty bad for actual healing. You might consider using it for damage only. This essence can be considered for Mythic+ in a third slot or as a Major when there is no possibility to copy Essence of the Focusing Iris.
- Vision of Perfection — a rather random Major effect ( Vision of Perfection), which gives you a chance to get one Tranquility tick randomly. It has a rather low proc chance. Avoid using it on encounters without constant ticking damage. The minor effect ( Strive for Perfection) provides you with an opportunity to reduce Tranquility cooldown to fit certain encounter timings or your healing setup.
- Vitality Conduit — This is an Essence with a very situational effect. The distribution does very little actual healing, but the effects from both the Major and Minor ignore healing reduction effects, which can be useful on Necrotic weeks and in PvP.
- Worldvein Resonance — Major ( Worldvein Resonance) effect provides substantial Intellect increase, but Minor effect ( Lifeblood) will probably not provide competitive numbers for you since very few DPS and none of the tank players use it. You might consider using it on fights with very little movement and damage patterns that support the 1-minute cooldown of the Major.
- Spirit of Preservation — Major effect might be too hard to use in dungeons and Minor effect will be of questionable use in raids. You should use it only as Minor essence in Mythic+ to facilitate spot healing on harder to heal affixes.
- The Well of Existence — The Major part ( Refreshment) is fairly mediocre for total throughput, but can provide useful spot healing when needed. However, the Minor part ( The Well of Existence) can be situationally strong as a filler essence for both raids and dungeons, if you do not have access to stronger essences yet.
Lackluster Essence Powers for Restoration Druids
- Life-Binder's Invocation — This is a pretty mediocre trait, both as a Major ( Life-Binder's Invocation) and Minor ( Seed of Eonar). The Major effect is a worse version of The Ever-Rising Tide's Major Overcharge Mana and Minor effect is strictly worse than The Well of Existence.
- Ripple in Space — An absolutely useless Major power ( Ripple in Space) unless you need a blink to handle a very specific mechanic. The Minor effect ( Reality Shift) is very bad due to the very harsh movement requirement. It will only proc if you are 25 yards away from the spot you started running from, not counting your movement in circles or anything that's not a straight line, making it extremely hard and inefficient to proc.
- Artifice of Time — Both Major ( Standstill) and Minor ( Artifice of Time) effects are extremely weak for any realistic PvE scenario. While Major suffers from having too long of a cooldown for the quality of the effect, Minor portion has very low proc chance and, due to the large portion of our healing going to the tanks, providing them with extra Haste has almost no value.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- How to Quickly Reach Exalted with Gelkis and Magram Centaur Clans Under 1 Hour
- More Scourge Zombies Showing Up, But It's Still Not the Pre-patch Event
- Pure Class: Level 50 Without Choosing a Spec Gets Pretty Hard
- Patch 9.0.1 Hotfixes: October 22nd
- The Madness Begins Anew: Exile's Reach Speedruns
- Addon Spotlight: Better Wardrobe and Transmog
- Most Popular Classes and Specs for Mythic+ in the Shadowlands Pre-Patch
- Ghostcrawler Talks WoW After 6 Years: Leveling, His Ret Pala, AoE and More