Havoc Demon Hunter Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Havoc Demon Hunter, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendary Powers are special effects that are used to empower specific items by the Runecarver within Torghast. Each of these powers apply to certain item slots, and come with Havoc specific options, Demon Hunter options and also some powers that are available to all classes. For more detailed information regarding the Runecarving system you can check our dedicated page.
Legendary Crafting in Patch 9.1
Due to the introduction of Domination sockets, crafting legendaries in any slot that clashes with these is not advised. That means for Leather, if it can be avoided the Helm, Shoulder, Chest, Gloves, and Boot slots are off limits if you want to make use of all 5 gems.
Best Overall Legendary crafts for Havoc Demon Hunter
Burning Wound provides the most consistent single-target and low cleave damage with little-to-no RNG attached to it, making it a great first craft. Alternatively, Darkglare Boon provides an option with incredibly high potential, albeit with RNG, that also scales up into AoE. Both of these are desirable early crafts.
Collective Anguish still provides a strong, reliable catch-all option that, while less explosive or targeted than the above options, can serve as a one-size-fits-all craft for those looking for one when played with Cycle of Hatred.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Havoc Demon Hunter
These are our recommended Raiding legendary powers. Most of these selections have a leaning toward being able to perform well in single-target situations, but gain AoE without sacrificing that. Ones that excel in some situations still earn their place, though.
- Burning Wound serves as the best single-target option that can also scale up against lower-target-count AoE as well. It is extremely consistent, and on average will outperform other options making it a great craft for raiding.
- Darkglare Boon has a very strong place though it still relies on some RNG to get resets on your Eye Beam. This can create extremely long Metamorphosis windows and raise the uptime on Furious Gaze as well, working in both single-target and AoE. However, it is vulnerable to bad RNG streaks which hurts it overall.
- Collective Anguish increases the power of your on-demand burst AoE and also adds a bit of sustain via the healing from Fel Devastation. It is pushed out numerically by some other options, however, and relies a lot on some good Cycle of Hatred RNG to really make use of it.
- Chaos Theory falls firmly behind Burning Wound and is also more volatile with RNG, making it less desirable as a lock-in pick due to it being extremely single-target focused. It still has a place though with some high-roll potential.
Best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries for Havoc Demon Hunter
In this section we look at Legendaries worth crafting for Mythic+ and Torghast content. Both of these have a natural preference for AoE, but flexibility to still contribute to single-target is extra valuable.
- Collective Anguish works really well as a double-up to your Eye Beam casts in opening bursts. It is a consistent pick that scales up very well in larger pulls, so on Fortified weeks or high-pull-count dungeons it is still a strong pick.
- Darkglare Boon has extremely strong high-roll potential with each pull, and while it does not frontload its damage like Collective Anguish, it increases the rate of casts and improves your extended AoE bursts, However, it has some RNG issues that can land badly if you run dry during an important pull.
- Burning Wound can be paired with the Growing Inferno Conduit to deal to a lot of extra damage with each Immolation Aura cast. However, maintaining this on multiple enemies can be inconsistent and requires targets to live for a reasonable period, making it more niche in the Mythic+ environment. It is still worth considering depending on affixes due to the single-target benefit.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Havoc Demon Hunter
Each Covenant has been given access to a new Legendary that alters the effects of the class ability granted:
- Kyrian: Blind Faith is not strong enough to warrant using for Kyrian players as other items can cover its niche better without as much sacrificed.
- Necrolord: Demonic Oath serves very little purpose as the damage dealt by Fiery Brand is fairly low, and the duration increase is numerically outshined by other standard picks.
- Night Fae: Blazing Slaughter has the possibility to be used for additional frontloaded burst situations when paired with Unbound Chaos and back to back casts, but will be extremely niche.
- Venthyr: Agony Gaze is another very niche potential use case if you want to all-in on your Metamorphosis AoE trigger, but otherwise is not worth the craft.
As these are all locked behind Covenants and Night Fae is the pretty consistent winner for Havoc, it makes it highly unlikely the new options will see play and none of them are strong enough to encourage a Covenant swap.
Other Legendaries for Havoc Demon Hunter
These are alternative legendaries available to Havoc that while craftable, are not recommended for various reasons:
- Darkest Hour is much more raid-utility-oriented, but the value of an uncontrolled Darkness is low and the cooldown can easily be wasted by raid mechanics, so it is not worth the performance hit.
- Erratic Fel Core has no tangible benefit outside of increased mobility. The only theoretical talent synergy in Unbound Chaos does not really pay off because of the limitation caused by Immolation Aura's cooldown; it should be avoided.
- Fel Bombardment is interesting and does provide an extra burst tool, but is simply not competitive with the alternatives that do what it already does better and without extra requirements to capitalize upon.
- Darker Nature exclusively requires enemies to be dying frequently to capitalize upon, and also has a limitation on needing Eye Beam to be used as they die. Even in Mythic+ scenarios that may fulfill this, the risk of failure versus reward is far too high here and this is not worth a craft in any circumstance.
- Echo of Eonar's proc does not contribute enough of a damage increase to compete with any of the Havoc options available.
- Judgment of the Arbiter's proc does too little damage per proc and is reliant on both allies and positioning to make proper use of.
- Norgannon's Sagacity has no uses for Havoc as the only cast-time abilities also root us in place or can be used while moving already.
- Sephuz's Proclamation has some niche benefits and is useful in PvP, but the proc is not consistent enough in PvE situations nor is the payoff very big.
- Stable Phantasma Lure only benefits Torghast specifically by adding more resources, so it has no use outside of there — and very limited benefits within.
- Vitality Sacrifice does not provide enough of a damage percentage increase to be worth it relative to the gains of what we have available, and is also contingent on getting hit frequently.
- Maw Rattle deals extremely low damage and the survival aspect is not relevant enough to even make it niche.
- Third Eye of the Jailer does not provide enough of a flat damage increase compared to our other options even in perfect scenarios, so it currently is not worth crafting.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.0.5 accounting for new picks and recommendations.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power