Discipline Priest Patch 9.2 Changes Analysis and Tier Set Thoughts
On this page, we tell you how the Patch 9.2 changes for Discipline Priest affect the spec and what the current state of theorycrafting is.
Discipline Priest in Patch 9.2: Eternity's End
This page will go over how the changes in Patch 9.2, Eternity's End, will affect Discipline Priests, specifically how the changes might impact its playstyle, best Legendary choices, Covenants, and the like. If you are simply interested in what the current changes are for Priests in Patch 9.2 in general, you can instead read our full list of changes to the entire Priest class on our dedicated page below. For an additional list of content coming with Patch 9.2, you can also check out our Patch 9.2 Overview page.
Base Spec Changes for Patch 9.2
At this time, there are currently no changes to the base specialization going into 9.2.
Discipline Priest Talent Changes in Patch 9.2
As with the specialization itself, there have been no direct Talent changes made in PvE or PvP for Discipline Priests, though with a new raid and a new season for both Mythic+ and PvP will come new options for finding gear and trying out different talent combinations.
Discipline Priest Tier Set in Patch 9.2
Within the new Sepulcher of the First Ones raid that will be coming in Patch 9.2, every class will once again earn pieces of a gear set that is uniquely class-themed with its own two- and four-piece bonuses for every specialization. For Discipline Priests, these set bonuses currently are:
- Discipline Priest 2-Piece — Casting Power Word: Shield or Shadow Mend has a 15% chance to make your next cast of Shadow Mend have no cost or cast time. The Atonement applied by these Shadow Mend casts grant 2 extra seconds of Atonement.
- Discipline Priest 4-Piece — Power of the Dark Side increases the effectiveness of Penance by an additional 45% and is triggered when Power Word: Radiance is cast.
As Patch 9.2 is still being developed, this tier set bonus can be changed.
Discipline Priest Tier Set Thoughts
For the two-piece bonus, so far the implementation seems very clunky to use and overall poorly implemented when the actual playstyle of the specialization is taken into account. While the actual benefit of the bonus is not terrible and the area of the specialization that it is targeting (Mana) is one that we appreciate the help in, we would very much benefit from at least a quality of life pass on the bonus to make it easier to use.
For the four-piece bonus, while it is not the strongest bonus in comparison to the current iteration of some of the other healers bonuses, it is good overall and opens up some interesting options from a gameplay and setup perspective.
Covenant Changes in Patch 9.2 for Discipline Priest
Although there have been no direct changes to the Covenant abilities for Discipline at this time, the current 4pc tier set, the ability to wear two Legendaries, and the ability to swap Covenants at will at the beginning of the tier instead of halfway through will likely lead to both Kyrian and Venthyr seeing play. We highly recommend having both Kyrian's and Venthyr's Renown leveled for the release of 9.2.
Legendary Changes in Patch 9.2 for Discipline Priest
Recall that in Patch 9.1, every class received a Legendary Power that was unique to each Covenant. For Priests, these Powers were:
- Kyrian — Spheres' Harmony — This Legendary saw significant play in mythic plus content, becoming the obvious first choice if you were Kyrian. In raid content, this Legendary remains situational due to needing to fit the specific encounter's damage timers. Since you are forced to use the Covenant-specific Legendary as one of your two Legendaries in 9.2, Kyrian will suffer a bit on raid encounters where we do not get to benefit from the cooldown reduction of Spheres'.
- Necrolord — Pallid Command — Provides passive healing after you cast Unholy Nova that quickly ramps up in power. This Legendary will remain unplayed in patch 9.2 due to the base Covenant spell that it is tied to being significantly weaker than other available options.
- Night Fae — Bwonsamdi's Pact — This Legendary tooltip is rather unclear; after you cast Fae Guardians you can then cast this on a target that has any of your faeries to duplicate the power of that faerie. For example, casting it on someone who has the Benevolent Faerie will grant them additional cooldown reduction. This Legendary will remain unplayed in patch 9.2 due to the base Covenant spell that it is tied to being significantly weaker than other available options.
- Venthyr — Shadow Word: Manipulation — This Legendary provides a significant amount of Critical Strike rating after one part of the debuff is removed from the target. While there is nothing super interesting to talk about in regards to this Legendary, it will provide an overall solid benefit to your burst windows when playing Venthyr.
In Patch 9.2, you will eventually gain the ability to equip two Legendary items at one time. With this system, one of those two Legendaries must be the Covenant-specific Legendary. For example, you could use both Spheres' Harmony and Clarity of Mind at the same time instead of using only one or the other like currently.
In raid, you will still be looking at the same Legendaries used now, primarily Clarity of Mind and the Covenant Legendaries, with the potential addition of The Penitent One depending on how the tier set ends up being tuned.
In mythic plus, you will still want to be Kyrian with your Covenant Legendary, Spheres' Harmony, as one of your Legendaries. For your second, you will likely look at either The Penitent One, again depending on how the tier set ends up being tuned, or falling back on our season 1 choice of Twins of the Sun Priestess.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 15 Jan. 2022: Page added with initial thoughts and information.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)