Survival Hunter Best Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits — Shadowlands 9.1.5
Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits are the most important character customization options in Shadowlands. They have a substantial impact on your toolkit and performance as Survival Hunter. This page's purpose is to help you pick the right options according to the content you intend to do in Shadowlands.
This page assumes that you are already familiar with Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits. If that is not the case, we have a number of pages that can help you get up to speed:
- Covenants Guide, which explains what Covenants are, what perks they bring, and how you can join one;
- Hunter Covenant Abilities, which lists all the abilities that Hunters gain by joining each Covenant;
- How To Change Covenant?, which tells you how you can switch Covenant (rejoining a former Covenant will require you to perform a number of tasks to regain their trusts);
- General Soulbind Guide, which explains what Soulbinds are and how you can pledge yourself to them to open up their Soulbind tree;
- Hunter Conduits, which lists all of the Conduits available to Hunters.
Covenant Recommendation Change in Patch 9.1.5
In Patch 9.1.5, Covenants can be freely changed at any time, and Conduit Energy is no longer required. Because of this, this page will focus on the strengths of each Covenant and where you might want to use them.
Summary of the Best Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits
Note that with these rankings, we are assuming that you are at Renown 57, which unlocks the full Soulbind Tree for all of the Soulbinds. Just below this table, we have listed the best Soulbinds depending on your current Renown.
Important: If you are not running the Nesingwary's Trapping Apparatus in Raid, then simply exchange the Deadly Tandem Conduit for the Strength of the Pack. If you are Venthyr, swap out Stinging Strike instead.
When To Use Each Covenant as a Survival Hunter
- Venthyr (with its Pouch of Razor Fragments) has the strongest single-target and should be used for all fights where single-target damage is the priority.
- Kyrian excels at burst AoE and should be used for Mythic+ and similar content.
- Night Fae has a strong 2-minute, burst but is weak overall and is not the best in any situation.
- Necrolord has extremely poor single-target, and while its Bag of Munitions Legendary Power is very strong for AoE, it does not make up for just how far behind Necrolord is in general.
Covenant Rankings for Survival Hunter
This ranking is primarily based on Single-Target damage. The attached numbers indicate the approximate single-target DPS loss compared to the top choice. Once again, this is based on full Soulbind/Renown Trees.
- Venthyr -1% (but significantly easier to play, and more flexible)
- Night Fae -2%
- Necrolord -4%
This ranking is primarily based on AoE damage, but single-target damage is also considered. We cannot really offer a DPS% gap here, because this is not based on a single metric, but rather a bunch of simulations of different scenarios that are relevant to Mythic+. We generally consider Mythic+ to be 66% AoE focused, and 33% single-target focused.
This ranking is based on a mix of single-target and AoE damage. We cannot really offer a DPS% gap here, because this is not based on a single metric. Once again, this is based on full Soulbind/Renown Trees.
Best Conduits for Survival Hunter
Best Potency Conduits for Survival Hunter
"Top" means that the given Conduit is the best Conduit for a particular game mode, such as Mythic+. The list below is ordered by single-target damage.
- Stinging Strike (with Nesingwary's Trapping Apparatus)
- Enfeebled Mark/ Empowered Release/ Spirit Attunement
- Strength of the Pack (without Nesingwary's Trapping Apparatus, top for Mythic+)
- Deadly Tandem
- Strength of the Pack (with Nesingwary's Trapping Apparatus)
- Necrotic Barrage
- Flame Infusion (top for Mythic+)
Flame Infusion and Strength of the Pack are the best Conduits for Mythic+. All of the Covenant-specific Conduits are strong except for Necrotic Barrage. For Venthyr with NTA, Deadly Tandem is better for single-target than Stinging Strike, but for all other Covenants, Stinging Strike is clearly stronger.
Best Endurance Conduits for Survival Hunter
- Marksman's Advantage
- Resilience of the Hunter
- Condensed Anima Sphere
- Rejuvenating Wind
- Harmony of the Tortollan
Best Finesse Conduits for Survival Hunter
- 03 Nov. 2021: Updated the Raiding ranking between Venthyr and Kyrian.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Updated the page to reflect Patch 9.1.5 changes, with Covenants and Conduits being freely swappable and more.
- 03 Sep. 2021: Added a section for the best Enhanced Soulbind Conduits.
- 18 Aug. 2021: Updated the optimal Soulbind for Survival single-target as Night Fae.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated the ranking of the Condensed Anima Sphere Endurance Conduit.
- 01 Jul. 2021: Several changes.
- Added the Condensed Anima Sphere Endurance Conduit to our rankings.
- Simplified the Covenant/Soulbind table slightly and clarified that it is based on max Renown.
- Added a note that it is recommended to sim your Covenants and Soulbinds to find out when you might want to switch.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Several small changes.
- Updated the recommended Mythic+ Soulbind Tree for Korayn.
- Moved up Venthyr's Empowered Release to S-Tier.
- Moved Stinging Strike from A to B-tier, but added a note that it is S-Tier for Birds of Prey-based builds.
- Updated the recommendation status of Venthyr vs Kyrian as the second-best Covenant for Survival Hunters.
- Updated the Dreamweaver recommendation description.
- Updated the Forgelite Mikanikos recommendation description as he is very strong for Mythic+.
- Updated the source of Korayn's strength in Mythic+ to be First Strike rather than Wild Hunt Tactics.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Reminder: Burning Crusade Classic Season 2 Ending Soon
- Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Testing Schedule: January 13th - 21st
- New Encrypted Patch 9.2 Build 41827 Pushed to WoW Vendor
- 9.1.5 Sanctum of Domination DPS Log Rankings, Week 10: Back to Normal
- An Epic Jouney to Find a 1-Shot Combo
- Bicepspump Completes 7/7 Mage Tower Challenges with Class Trials
- 9.1.5 Covenant Popularity for Top Raid and Mythic+ Players
- Anduin Wrynn Drops Varian and Lich King-Themed Rings in Patch 9.2