Discipline Priest Healing Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find the top recommended Azerite traits to choose when playing a Discipline Priest in World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Patch 8.1.5. If you need more information on how to obtain the Heart of Azeroth so that you can use the traits, you can find that in our Heart of Azeroth guide.
This page has ordered lists for rankings of all of the traits for Discipline Priests. It is important to note that the only traits that stack are any bonus healing, bonus stats, damage increases, or increased absorbs. Traits that do not stack are any buff or damage over time extension, stack counts, duration, number of targets, or proc rate increases. The only damage increases that contribute towards Atonement healing are those that come from your spellbook.
2. Recommended Traits
This section will discuss the recommended Azerite traits for both dungeons and raids. While these are currently recommended, any balance changes to traits will likely change our recommendations.
2.1. Dungeons and Mythic+
With the variance within Mythic+ content due to the different affixes, key levels, dungeons, and group skill levels, there are very few completely incorrect answers for trait choices. Due to your DPS as a healer being a larger percentage of the overall groups DPS in Mythic+ compared to in raids, we recommend focusing on traits that will benefit both your HPS and DPS at the same time. Some players will use pure damage traits to further increase their damage, but we do no recommend this unless you are extremely comfortable with not only Discipline Priest itself, but with the group you are running with as well. Damage traits will provide 100% of their damage, but will not translate to Atonement healing, so keep this in mind. Below are our current recommendations for stand-out traits in Mythic+ which are fairly easy to get:
- Death Throes increases the damage, and therefore the healing via Atonement, done by your Shadow Word: Pain or your Purge the Wicked spells.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Sudden Revelation gives your Power Word: Radiance a 50% chance to cause your next Holy Nova to deal increased damage, as well as reduce the cooldown of Power Word: Radiance by 3 seconds.
Other traits that are solid options, but are less common, are as follows:
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Endless Hunger increases your Versatility by an impressive amount, as well as providing a potential heal on every mob death.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
While traits like Depth of the Shadows and Enduring Luminescence are very strong traits in Raid content, we currently do not recommend using either in Mythic+. The vast majority of the value of both traits comes from the Atonement duration increase and not the increased heal. With a smaller group size in Mythic+, Atonement duration increases are not nearly as valuable when you can cover the full group with Atonement in a single global cooldown.
3. Azerite Trait Rankings for Raids
The table listed below provides intellect values for each trait at any given item level. What this helps accomplish is providing players with a method to calculate the value of Azerite pieces and compare them to see which item is better. In order to use this table, you would follow the formula below:
[Item Intellect] + [1st trait Intellect value] + [2nd trait int Intellect value] + [3rd trait int Intellect value] (repeat for however many traits the item has)
Here are some additional things to keep in mind regarding these rankings and traits in general:
- All trait stacking information is held within the image.
- All rankings are primarily based on a raid environment, but may transfer through to M+ similarly.
- All traits that deal damage that do not transfer through to Atonement are not included in this chart. Only traits that increase damage from our spell book spells transfer through to Atonement healing.
- Traits are always being worked on and tuned so always hold onto your higher item level Azerite gear. Information from logs may also change how traits are valued.
- It is worth noting that the trait "Twist Magic" depends entirely on your usage of Dispel Magic. There is not much use of this within raids. The chart is assuming one dispel a minute.
- Enduring Luminescence loses all value after the first trait. Do not stack this trait.
4. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Discipline Priest
Some of your Azerite Traits can have big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear and even affect talent choices. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
4.1. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes
Depth of the Shadows will make Shadow Mend more valuable in applying Atonement on players who have already taken damage, due to the additional 2 seconds of duration and the benefit of keeping out one or more DoTs.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Discipline Priest. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 04 Mar. 2019: Updated Azerite Trait rankings for both Mythic+ and Raid.
- 23 Feb. 2019: Updated Azerite Trait rankings.
- 19 Jan. 2019: Updated page for the Battle for Dazar'alor raid.
- 25 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait ranking image.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated page for Patch 8.1.
- 29 Oct. 2018: Updated page to reflect latest hotfixes and analysis.
- 11 Sep. 2018: Updated page to reflect calculated rankings for each Azerite trait.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Additions made to recommended traits for Dungeons and Mythic+.
- 10 Aug. 2018: Updated entire page to reflect all Azerite trait rankings and updated spec specific priority.
- Hide All Slots Except Pants Option Coming in Patch 8.2
- Loot Trading in Classic WoW
- Draught of Ten Lands Exploit Ban Wave: March 22nd
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: March 21st
- Live Developer Q&A Roundup: March 21st
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Tiger's Peak Arena Temporarily Disabled
- Crucible of Storms Item Tuning
- Holy - Infusion of Light Question
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.1
- Frost Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Prismatic Socket
- Brawler's Guild - Sanoriak
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Arms Warrior PvP 8.1
- Contact player-different server