Retribution Paladin DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Retribution Paladin
Some of your Azerite traits can have a big impact on the way you play the game, select your gear, and even affect talent choices. This is mostly the case for Outer Rings traits, typically the most powerful ones. It is important to understand how they work with each other and on their own.
With the start of Mythic+ Season 2 and the opening of Battle of Dazar'alor, all new Azerite Gear that drops after the opening got an additional Outer Ring. The additional Outer Ring includes Paladin-specific and Retribution-specific Azerite traits. One Azerite Gear piece cannot containe two of the same Azerite Trait in the two Outer Rings.
- To compare 2 Azerite Gear pieces with no item level difference, compare the relative strength of your best Outer Rings and Middle Ring traits.
- To compare 2 Azerite Gear pieces with a item level difference, first check if any of your new Outer Ring traits is listed in the relative strength chart below for your single-target or cleave usage situation. The general rule is that if an item is a 15+ item level upgrade over the old item and both of the Outer Rings traits are listed in the top relative strength charts below, then on average it should be an upgrade.
Below, you will find a few comparisons of popular Azerite items to help you decide.
For accurate Azerite Gear comparisons for your individual character, we recommend to simulate using Raidbots. There are simply too many different variables that are impossible to take into account to make accurate choices with the general rule. The recommended tool for this is the Raidbots topgear feature.
It is worth noting that if the difference between 2 Azerite Gear pieces is very small, then the higher item level pick will be more desirable. Azerite Gear pieces have a high amount of Stamina, increasing your maximum Health.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Retribution Paladin
Below we have listed the relative strength of the Azerite traits available to Retribution Paladins. The list below is purely a guideline, the best way to choose your traits and what pieces of gear to use is by simulating your own individual character.
2.1. Single Target Azerite Traits Comparison for Retribution Paladin
2.1.1. Outer Rings
The Outer Rings traits are the first two rings you unlock, and they are the most important from a DPS perspective. The first Outer Ring includes Paladin-specific and Retribution-specific traits. The second Outer Ring includes Generic, Paladin-specific and Retribution-specific traits. The full list of Outer Ring traits and what they do can be found below.
Here we have listed a ranking for the Outer Rings traits in terms of single-target DPS. Because of the sheer amount of Azerite traits, we have only listed the best 25.
2.1.2. Middle Ring
The Middle Ring traits are shared for all classes and specs. For Retribution you should always pick among the DPS options and ignore the defensive or heal options for PvE. The full list of Middle Ring DPS traits and what they do can be found below.
Here we have listed a ranking for Middle Ring traits in terms of DPS for single-target situations.
2.2. AoE/Cleave Azerite Traits Comparison for Retribution Paladin
2.2.1. Outer Rings
Here we have listed a ranking for the Outer Rings traits in terms of DPS for AoE/Cleave situations. Because of the sheer amount of Azerite traits, we have only listed the best 25.
2.2.2. Middle Ring Trait Comparisons for Retribution Paladin on AoE/Cleave
Here we have listed a ranking for Middle Ring traits in terms of DPS for AoE/Cleave situations.
2.3. Inner Ring Trait Comparisons for Retribution Paladin
Since the Inner Ring traits are either defensive or mobility traits, they are mostly up to personal preference, and depend a lot on the raid encounter or dungeon. The full list of Inner Ring traits and what they do can be found below.
2.3.1. Inner Ring Traits for Raiding
Gallant Steed and Longstrider are the only traits that can improve your dps by increasing your uptime. In raid-situations you should always go for those two, since you have more than one healer to take care of you, and plenty of own tools to keep yourself alive. Note that Gallant Steed only stacks the cooldown reduction once.
- Gallant Steed (1x max)
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron
- Impassive Visage
- Resounding Protection
2.3.2. Inner Ring Traits for Mythic+
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron
- Impassive Visage
- Bulwark of the Masses
- Resounding Protection
3. Azerite Gear Comparison for Retribution Paladin
Here we have listed multiple relative comparisons for the Azerite Gear pieces, split between single-target and cleave situations. Because of the sheer amount of Azerite Gear pieces, we have only listed the best 15 for each each slot for each situation. To check out the full ranking, open the link below each chart.
3.1. Head Slot
3.1.1. Single Target
3.2. Shoulder Slot
3.2.1. Single Target
3.3. Chest Slot
3.3.1. Single Target
4. Azerite Traits Details and Rotation Changes for Retribution Paladin
Take the value of the Overwhelming Power trait with a grain of salt, as the trait loses value if you take any damage while the buff is active. If you take damage with a high frequency (auto attacks, dots, or constant AoE), you should consider checking out your other trait choices for that situation.
The value of the Expurgation trait is highly dependant on your Critical Strike chance. It is important to simulate this trait for your own character before using it to replace another trait.
The Relentless Inquisitor buff should optimally never expire, make sure to refresh them in time. If you notice yourself dropping the buff frequently, you should consider checking out your other trait choices for that situation.
The Indomitable Justice trait requires you to have a higher Health percentage than your target and the Treacherous Covenant trait requires you to have more than 50% Health to get any DPS gain. If you find yourself in a situation where that sometimes does not apply, you should consider checking out your other trait choices for that situation.
5. Outer Ring Traits for Retribution Paladin
5.1. Retribution Paladin specific Outer Ring Traits
- Avenger's Might grants additional Mastery while Avenging Wrath or Crusade is active.
- Empyrean Power causes attacks to have a chance to make the next Divine Storm free and deal additional damage.
- Expurgation causes Blade of Justice critical hits to burn for additional Holy damage every 2 seconds over 6 seconds.
- Indomitable Justice causes Judgment to deal additional damage when your Health percentage exceeds the target's.
- Relentless Inquisitor causes Holy Power spenders to grant you Haste for 12 seconds per Holy Power spent, stacking up to 20 times.
- Light's Decree sets the duration of Avenging Wrath to 25 seconds and Crusade to 30 seconds. Additionally spending Holy Power during these cooldowns causes you to explode with Holy light, dealing Holy damage dependant on the amount of Holy Power spent.
5.2. Generic Outer Ring Traits
- Anduin's Dedication / Sylvanas' Resolve causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat for 10 seconds. If an ally dies nearby you also instantly gain this effect. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Barrage Of Many Bombs gives you a chance to fire a clusterbomb at your current target. When the bomb gets close, it explodes into smaller bombs which do AoE damage when they hit the ground.
- Battlefield Focus / Battlefield Precision gives your abilities a chance to apply stacks of a debuff to the target. This debuff causes them to take more damage from all raid members. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Blood Rite causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Haste for 15 seconds. Killing enemies refreshes this effect.
- Bonded Souls causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to trigger a Soulbond for 15 seconds. During Soulbond, every 5 seconds you and your nearest ally are both healed for a large amount and gain a moderate amount of Haste for 5 seconds.
- Champion of Azeroth gives your abilities a chance to increase all your secondary stats for a minute, stacking up to 4 times. Getting a new proc will refresh the duration, so you will keep this at 4 stacks throughout an entire fight.
- Collective Will / Stand As One causes your spells to have a chance to increase your primary stat and maximum health. This effect is also applied to up to 4 nearby allies. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Combined Might / Stronger Together gives you and 4 allies a bonus to one of your secondary stats or to your Spellpower / Attackpower (depending on your role), chosen at random, for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait.
- Dagger in the Back gives your abilities a chance to shoot a dagger at your target, applying a damage over time effect for 12 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. If you shoot this dagger when behind the target, it will apply 2 stacks.
- Filthy Transfusion gives your damaging ability a chance to do damage over 6 seconds to the target, healing you for the damage done.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator's Might causes your spells to have a chance to grant Critical Strike and Haste for 10 seconds. Note that this is a PvP trait, and attacking a member of the opposing faction significantly increases this chance, making these traits are much stronger in PvP content.
- Incite the Pack causes you to occasionally increase your Mastery and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Laser Matrix causes your spells to have a chance to unleash a barrage of lasers which deal damage and heal injured allies for a small amount which is further split among them. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to grant Mastery and an absorb shield . Note that this is a PvP trait; also, taking damage from a member of the opposite faction has a chance to activate this effect, making these traits much strong in PvP content.
- Liberator's Might gives your abilities a chance to give you Haste, and even more Critical Strike for 10 seconds.
- Meticulous Scheming causes you to gain a buff for 8 seconds that transforms into a 20-second Haste buff after you cast 3 different spells while it is active.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo causes your spells to have a chance to grant you a primary stat and maximum health buff or Haste and 50% movement speed for 10 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Retaliatory Fury gives your abilities a chance to give you a Mastery buff and a shield for 10 seconds.
- Rezan's Fury causes your damaging abilities to have a chance to summon a Child of Rezan, which deals Physical damage to your target and causes them to bleed for additional damage over 12 seconds.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw causes your spells to have a chance to heal up to 4 allies for a large amount. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Ruinous Bolt gives your abilities a chance to summon a Soul (pet) by your side for 14 seconds. The Soul deals Shadow damage to a random nearby target.
- Secrets of the Deep causes your spells to have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, which you can collect to increase your primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely, a Void Droplet will be created instead, which increases your primary stat for twice as much as Surging Droplet's when collected.
- Seductive Power causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to conjure Bwonsamdi. If you approach him, you gain a small increase to all stats for 5 minutes, stacking up to 5 times. If you fail to heed his call, you lose one stack.
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor gives your abilities a chance to put a debuff on your target. This debuff will deal damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target with the debuff, and causes them to do 5% less damage to you. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Thunderous Blast gives your damaging abilities a chance blast the target for extra Nature damage, and cause the target to take 20% more damage from your next blast. When the bonus damage reaches 100%, the next blast will Critically Strike, and reset the bonus damage back to 0%.
- Tidal Surge gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal some Frost damage to the target and slow it by 20%.
- Tradewinds causes your spells to have a chance to grant you Mastery for 15 seconds. When this buff expires, it jumps once to a nearby ally at half duration and amount.
- Treacherous Covenant increases your primary stat by a large amount while you are above 50% health. However, you take 15% increased damage while below 20% health.
- Unstable Catalyst causes your spells and abilities to have a chance to create a zone standing in which increases your primary stat.
Note that when using at least 1 Uldir trait inside the Uldir raid, Reorigination Array grants you a buff that increases your highest secondary stat every 5 seconds, stacking up to 10. This power increases over time, in order to make Uldir raiding easier.
6. Middle Ring Traits for Retribution Paladin
- Azerite Globules gives your damaging abilities a chance to apply a debuff to your target. This debuff stacks up to 3 times, and when it reaches 3, the target explodes, doing AoE damage.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
- Earthlink increases your primary stat, with the exact amount cycling between a minimum value and maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Elemental Whirl causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase one of your secondary stats for 10 seconds.
- Gutripper gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Physical damage. This bonus damage occurs more often when the target is below 30% Health.
- Heed My Call gives your damaging abilities a chance to deal additional Nature damage to the target, and a smaller amount of damage to nearby targets.
- Lifespeed passively increases your Haste and Avoidance.
- On My Way passively increases your Versatility and Speed.
- Overwhelming Power causes your damaging spells to have a chance to increase your Haste. The amount of Haste granted decreases every second or whenever you take damage.
- Unstable Flames causes your damaging spells to have a chance to grant a Critical Strike buff for 5 seconds, stacking up to 5 times.
7. Inner Ring Traits for Retribution Paladin
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer grants you a chance, when taking damage, to self-heal for a large amount and remove most bleed effects as well as slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 5 seconds. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Bulwark of the Masses causes you to gain a moderate absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies, but can only occur once every 15 seconds.
- Gallant Steed causes Divine Steed to grant speed to yourself and nearby allies for 5 seconds. Additionally it sets Divine Steeds cooldown to 40 seconds. This is a must trait if you are in need of more mobility, and entirely in your control.
- Empyreal Ward causes your Lay on Hands to grant the target additional Armor for 60 seconds.
- Gemhide causes you to gain Avoidance and Armor for 10 seconds when you take damage that exceeds 10% of your maximum health.
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Longstrider increases your movement speed by a percentage of your highest secondary stat, with a maximum movement speed gain limit.
- Personal Absorb-o-Tron grants you a chance, when taking damage, to gain a large absorb shield for up to 1 minute. This trait is only obtainable through crafting Engineering goggles.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Self Reliance causes you to be healed every 3 seconds while no enemies are within 12 yards of you.
- Stalwart Protector causes Divine Shield to grant an absorb shield to nearby allies for 15 seconds.
- Vampiric Speed causes you to self-heal and gain Speed for 6 seconds whenever an enemy you damaged dies.
8. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Retribution Paladin. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
|Head Items||Shoulders Items||Chest Items|