Arcane Mage Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Arcane Mage, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
1. Azerite Essences for Arcane Mages
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
2. Picking a Major Essence for Arcane Mages
- Condensed Life-Force is the best major essence on single target.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris is the best major essence in AoE situations, so you should consider using it in high AoE situations, like Mythic+.
3. Picking Minor Essences for Arcane Mages
- Worldvein Resonance is the best minor essence on both single target and AoE.
- Your final Minor slot can be a multitude of Essences. The Crucible of Flame is the best remaining pure single-target Essence; however, it serves no AoE purpose. Conflict and Strife and Memory of Lucid Dreams (only as rank 3) are good hybrid essences, which makes them good for fights with both single-target and AoE phases. They are both very close in strength if they are both rank 3. If Memory of Lucid Dreams is not rank 3, it is not worth using at all. Purification Protocol is a good option for AoE fights, such as Mythic+ or fights with constant adds.
4. Rotation Changes for Essences for Arcane Mages
All Essences should simply be activated on cooldown, outside of Arcane Power and Rune of Power. This is because Essences do not get the bonus damage from Arcane Power, nor the bonus damage from Rune of Power. AoE essences like Essence of the Focusing Iris should be used on as many targets as possible.
5. Essence Comparison Simulations for Arcane Mages
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a very rough guideline, and you should not rely on them for making decisions on your own gear. Always use Raidbots.com to sim your own character.
5.1. Single-Target Esssence Simulations for Arcane Mage
5.1.1. Major Essences for Arcane Mage
5.1.2. Minor Essences for Arcane Mage
5.2. AoE Esssence Simulations for Arcane Mage
5.2.1. Major Essences for Arcane Mage
5.2.2. Minor Essences for Arcane Mage
- 16 Jul. 2019: Changed format of essences to guide in picking essences better.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Essence priority list to be clearer.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Added simulations for Essences.
- 26 Jun. 2019: Updated essences after hotfixes and confirming strengths on live servers.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Eternal Palace Race Day 2: 5/8, Method and Limit Exchanging the Lead
- Quick LFR Wing 1 Tips from WoW Instagram
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 17th
- WoW Classic Global Stress Test Postponed
- World First Glory of the Eternal Raider Completed
- Eternal Palace Race Day 1: 3/8 Down, Ashvane Stands + Kill Videos
- Not a Bug List Updated with Many Issues
- Conflict and Strife Rank 2 Hotfix Now Live
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Essence Guide
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5
- Priest Leveling Guide
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Protection Warrior 8.2