How Runecarving Works in Shadowlands: A Guide to Forging Legendary Armor
In Shadowlands, you will be able to create your own Legendary Armor through Runecarving within the Runecarver's Chamber, a place of exceptional power locked away in Torghast.
This guide tells you more about the whole process and explains what you need to do to craft Legendary Armor in the Shadowlands expansion.
Welcome to our comprehensive guide to Runecarving, or crafting Legendary- pieces of armor in the Shadowlands. In the individual sections of the guide, you will learn how to unlock Runecarving and Legendary powers. We go through all the reagents that are required to craft Legendaries and explain current restrictions of the system.
The Runecarver is a mysterious figure locked away in the very depths of Torghast. To find him, you need to go through the initial Torghast experience and defeat Warden Skoldus in Skoldus Halls, receiving a mysterious key which starts the questline that unlocks the beginning of the Runecarver's story. Once unlocked, you will be able to call on the power of the Runecarver to carve ancient runes on your armor and imbue it with Legendary powers.
Where Do I Find the Runecarver?
Enter Torghast at Ve'nari's Refuge in the Maw. The portal is located at the far back of the area.
The Portal to Runecarver's Cell will be located to the right as you enter the Torghast Antechamber.
Here is the map of Runecarver's Cell, where you will craft your Legendary Armor pieces.
You can get return back to the Torghast Antechamber through the exit portal.
Memories and Legendary Powers
To craft Legendary Armor, you will need to retrieve specific memories that contain Legendary powers. These memories (or Legendary Power recipes) can be found all over Shadowlands and you can get them from questing, killing bosses in the Castle Nathria raid, from PvP, and more.
Once found, you take them back to the Runecarver in Torghast, who will then be able to imbue specific Profession-crafted armor pieces with this power. Not all powers can be applied to all armor slots, and some powers can only be applied to Boots and Pants. General Legendary powers can be applied to 3 armor slots, whereas class-specific Legendary Powers can occupy 2 armor slots.
The Legendary powers available to players in Shadowlands have ties to the history of Azeroth, and are new interpretations of Set Bonuses, Legendaries, and other powers that we had access to in World of Warcraft's history.
Recipe unlocks are account-wide, including generic powers (e.g. Prydaz or Sephuz-like effects from Legion), so alts will automatically have access to them from the start.
Crafting Legendary Armor
You need to gather a few materials first, before you can craft your Legendary:
- A Base Item. These items are created by Blacksmiths, Jewelcrafters, Leatherworkers, and Tailors, and serve as the vessel for Legendary Powers. These items are not soulbound, and can be acquired from other players, alts, or bought in the Auction House. There is no requirement that a character has to have a crafting profession to make Legendary Armor. Crafting Legendaries is open to all players as long as you have collected all the necessary reagents.
- The Legendary Power of your choosing.
- Two Optional Reagents. These optional reagents dictate the secondary stats (Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery, and Versatility) of the crafted Legendary. Unlike normal Profession crafted items, these reagents are required for the creation of Legendary Armor.
- Carcerus. This is a new currency found in Torghast as a reward for completing sections of the Tower. As the item level of the Base Item increases, so does the required fuel to create Legendaries, so players will need more Carcerus as they start crafting higher item level pieces.
The crafted Legendary Armor piece will have fixed primary stats (Intellect, Agility, Stamina, and Strength).
Blacksmiths, Jewelcrafters, Leatherworkers, and Tailors can create Base Items for the following armor slots — Head, Shoulder, Back, Chest Wrist, Hands, Waist, Legs, Feet.
Jewelcrafters can create Base Items for the Neck and Ring armor slots.
You will be able to acquire Legendary Power recipes in the form of memories by completing various content in Shadowlands.
We divide Legendary powers into general, available to all classes, class-wide, available to all specializations within the same class, and specialization-specific, available to just one specialization.
You can find a list of all general Legendary Powers and their effects in our General Legendary Powers Guide.
We have also listed all the available class-specific Legendary powers that can be found on Legendary Armor pieces in Shadowlands below.
- Death Knight Legendary Powers;
- Demon Hunter Legendary Powers;
- Druid Legendary Powers;
- Hunter Legendary Powers;
- Mage Legendary Powers;
- Monk Legendary Powers;
- Paladin Legendary Powers;
- Priest Legendary Powers;
- Rogue Legendary Powers;
- Shaman Legendary Powers;
- Warlock Legendary Powers;
- Warrior Legendary Powers.
To select specific secondary stats of the crafted Legendary, you will need the following items created by Scribes:
- Rune of Critical Strike — Ensures that the crafted weapon or piece of armor will increase the wearer's Critical Strike.
- Rune of Haste — Ensures that the crafted weapon or piece of armor will increase the wearer's Haste.
- Rune of Mastery — Ensures that the crafted weapon or piece of armor will increase the wearer's Mastery.
- Rune of Versatility — Ensures that the crafted weapon or piece of armor will increase the wearer's Versatility.
This Torghast currency acts as a fuel for crafting Legendary Armor. We currently do not know the exact costs to craft Legendary Armor pieces, but we know the cost increases with higher Item Level.
This section contains restrictions that apply to Legendary Armor.
- Base Items do not exist for the Weapon, Off-Hand, and Trinket slots.
- You can only wear one Legendary Armor piece at a time. This cap will likely increase throughout the Shadowlands expansion, allowing you to wear more than a single peace at once.
- 08 Aug. 2020: Updated with information about general Legendary powers.
- 25 Jul. 2020: Updated with new assets of the Runecarver's location and added Druid.
- 18 Jul. 2020: Guide updated with assets and links to new Legendary Powers.
- 08 Jul. 2020: Guide added.
- List of Preserved Contaminants on Sale Through August 14th
- Sinrunner Reins Mount in Shadowlands
- Herald of the Titans Achievement in Shadowlands
- Night Fae Soulbind Niya Provides Players with "Shadowmeld" in Shadowlands
- Rockbiter and Windfury Weapon at the Same Time (or Flametongue or Frostbrand)
- Detailed Outland Topographic Map by Sturmbart
- The Jailer's Size Compared to a Dwarf
- Awesome WoW Class Series Trailer by IKedit