Fire Mage Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Fire Mage, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
1. Azerite Essences for Fire Mages
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
2. Picking a Major Essence for Fire Mages
- Memory of Lucid Dreams is usually the best major essence as long as you are using 2 or more Blaster Master traits.
- Condensed Life-Force is usually the best major Essence available to a Fire Mage at Rank 3. Before Rank 3, it is always worse than Memory of Lucid Dreams as a major Essence.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris is the best major essence in AoE situations, so you should consider using it in high AoE situations, like Mythic+.
Picking between Condensed Life-Force and Memory of Lucid Dreams as a major Essence comes down to your traits. In general, a Blaster Master heavy build will favor Memory of Lucid Dreams, whereas low Blaster Master builds will favor Condensed Life force. The best way to figure out which one to use is by simming top gear on raidbots.
3. Picking Minor Essences for Fire Mages
- If you did not pick Memory of Lucid Dreams as your Major Essence, it is by far the best Minor Essence and should always be used.
- Worldvein Resonance is the best Minor power (after Memory of Lucid Dreams), so it should be slotted into your second Minor slot (if using Memory of Lucid Dreams as Major) or third slot if using Memory of Lucid Dreams as Minor.
- Your final Minor slot (if using Memory of Lucid Dreams as Major), can be a multitude of Essences. The Crucible of Flame is the best remaining pure single-target Essence; however, it serves no AoE purpose. Conflict and Strife is a good hybrid essence, which makes it good for fights with both single-target and AoE phases. Finally, Purification Protocol is a good option for AoE fights, such as Mythic+ or fights with constant adds.
4. Rotation Changes for Essences for Fire Mages
Most Essences should simply be activated on cooldown, outside of Combustion and Rune of Power. This is because Essences do not get the critical strike bonus from Combustion, nor the bonus damage from Rune of Power. AoE essences like Essence of the Focusing Iris should be used on as many targets as possible. Below we have listed the Essences which are not simply "fire and forget" type of Essences, and how you should use them.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams should be used right before Combustion to greatly increase damage output during Combustion, due to the extra Fire Blasts. If you are running Rune of Power, you should cast the Essence first, and then cast Rune of Power followed by the normal Combustion phase. If you are using Blaster Master and Meteor, you should delay Meteor until you have 3 stacks of Blaster Master.
5. Essence Comparison Simulations for Fire Mages
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a very rough guideline, and you should not rely on them for making decisions on your own gear. Always use Raidbots.com to sim your own character.
5.1. Single-Target Esssence Simulations for Fire Mage
5.1.1. Major Essences for Fire Mage
5.1.2. Minor Essences for Fire Mage
5.2. AoE Esssence Simulations for Fire Mage
5.2.1. Major Essences for Fire Mage
5.2.2. Minor Essences for Fire Mage
- 16 Jul. 2019: Updated the format to better guide people in picking Essences.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Changed Essence priority based on new findings and hotfixes.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Added simulations for Essences.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Further expanded on essence rotation usage.
- 29 Jun. 2019: Expanded on essence rotation usage.
- 26 Jun. 2019: Updated essences after hotfixes and confirming strengths on live servers.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Eternal Palace Race Day 2: 5/8, Method and Limit Exchanging the Lead
- Quick LFR Wing 1 Tips from WoW Instagram
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 17th
- WoW Classic Global Stress Test Postponed
- World First Glory of the Eternal Raider Completed
- Eternal Palace Race Day 1: 3/8 Down, Ashvane Stands + Kill Videos
- Not a Bug List Updated with Many Issues
- Conflict and Strife Rank 2 Hotfix Now Live
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Essence Guide
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5
- Priest Leveling Guide
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Protection Warrior 8.2