Fire Mage Best Corruptions and Corrupted Items — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will learn what the best corruptions and the best corrupted items are for a Fire Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also tell you how to handle corruption effects.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
Purchased Corruption for Fire Mage
Echoes of Ny'alotha can now be used to buy specific Corruption effects from MOTHER, in the Chamber of the Heart. These are applied just like an enchantment scroll to any viable item.
You can learn all about this new system in our specialized guide for Echoes of Ny'alotha below.
For a Fire Mage, you will want to buy as much Masterful as possible. This is the best Corruption for Fire for all situations. You will want to apply the Masterful 3 Corruption effect to every single piece that can have a Corruption effect. This means 9 Masterful 3 effects. With maxed out Corruption resistance, this will leave you on 45 Corruption. If 45 Corruption is too high for comfort, we suggest dropping one Masterful 3 for Masterful 1.
Picking Fire Mage Corruption Items
The best way to determine which of your Corrupted items to use, is by using Raidbots Top Gear. You should set a maximum Corruption value that you are comfortable with, and simply simulate the highest DPS set.
Below we will have some guidance to help you pick effects, but ultimately it comes down to the amount of Corruption the item has versus the DPS it gives you (DPS per Corruption point), and how much Corruption you are willing to have on your gear.
Infinite Stars is the best single-target Corruption effect, per point of Corruption, and overall per item. However, it loses a lot of value when there are frequent adds, or when targets do not live very long.
Masterful is the best overall trait for any fights that has additional targets in it. Since this applies to almost every single raid boss in Ny'alotha, and to every Mythic+ dungeon, Masterful is the most desired trait for Fire Mages, as long as you are running multiple Blaster Master traits.
Gushing Wound only has 1 tier, but it is the second best DPS per Corruption on pure single-target. You will most likely use this item early on, when Corruption resistance is still relatively low. When you have more Corruption resistance, and you are still below your maximum Corruption threshold, you can consider dropping Gushing Wound for an effect with slightly lower DPS per Corruption point, but more overall DPS.
Corruption Effects Simulations
There are 2 types of simulations that can be done for the Corruption effects, namely: DPS per point of Corruption, and DPS per effect. Generally speaking, DPS per point of Corruption is more important than DPS per total effect, since you only have a limited amount of Corruption you can comfortably use in a raid setting. Below, we have listed both types of simulations:
DPS per Point of Corruption
DPS per Effect
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- The Thing From Beyond that spawns from Grand Delusions can be negated in a couple of different ways. An efficient way is using Frost Nova to root it in place. However, in a lot of cases, depending on what is happening in the raid, you can also simply soak the damage of Thing From Beyond by using Blazing Barrier. You should be careful not to do this when there are high damage raid mechanics happening at the same time. The final way to deal with Grand Delusions is to Shimmer away from it and run away further from it with Scorch as needed. It is worth noting, if you run Memory of Lucid Dreams major and you are mid- Combustion you do not have to worry about The Thing From Beyond, as the large amount of leech, combined with the strong DPS you do during Combustion, should outheal any damage you might take from The Thing From Beyond.
Your Legendary Cloak, Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve, will have a special on-use effect that clears all Corruption effects from you. This should be used if you get hit by a Thing From Beyond while above 60 Corruption. Otherwise, use it whenever you are in a very sticky situation, such as being slowed inside a voidzone. You should also use it if you are meant to be stacked with your group, and you multiple Eyes of Corruption on you.
How Much Corruption Should I Run As A Fire Mage
Generally speaking, anything below 40 is considered safe and can be used in all situations. If the content you are doing is easy, and you are confident that you can successfully deal with all of the Things from Beyond, then you can run up to 60. We do not recommend running above 60 in any sort of difficult environment. It is also worth noting, that running over 40 Corruption is not suggested at all if you find yourself running around a lot to avoid The Thing From Beyond, as this will negate any possible DPS increase you get from the additional Corruption effects.
- 20 May 2020: Added information about the new corruption vendor.
- 04 Apr. 2020: Moved Corruption to a separate page and added a section on how to deal with the effects.
- Big PvP Updates Coming to Shadowlands Beta
- Average Player Leveling in the Pre-patch and Shadowlands Will Take 8-10 Hours
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854: Class Changes Recap
- Player Solos All Alliance Faction Leaders
- Shadowlands Mythic Season 1 End-of-Run Rewards Capped Below Castle Nathria Heroic Item Level
- Shaman Class Changes in Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854
- Engineer's Workshop: The WoW Companion App and Multi-Expansion Support
- Fan-Made Shadowlands Login Screen